Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix

Old 08-04-2007, 08:45 AM
4 to go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary
Default Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix

Mclaren takes up the front row for this one. Ferrari qualified 4th and 14th; pretty poor performance, but hopefully a strong start or some rain will help them out tomorrow.
Did anyone else watch the qualifying session? Alonso gets shadier every race!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:31 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite
Default Re: Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix

I'm a Ferrari fan so I'm not terribly excited with the weekend so far. However, I'm also a HUGE Hamilton fan. I've been saying for a couple years now what a poor sportsman Alonso is. He's really been showing his true self the last few race weekends. When he's on top and everything is going his way, he's great, but the second things don't go perfect for him, he really does a personality 180. I hope he is penalized within the team. I like the McLaren team (I know, you're not supposed to like McLaren and Ferrari) for the most part, but Alonso (along with Stepnygate) is putting a dark cloud around them. I hope Ron Dennis can take control of the team and save their name. Unfortunately, I don't think Alonso's inflated ego is going to go anywhere anytime soon.

Side note, Ferrari need Ross back BAD!
Old 08-04-2007, 06:10 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Wow:

Alonso was asked why he waited for some 10 seconds before leaving the pits after being given the signal to leave. His response was that he was enquiring as to whether the correct set of tires had been fitted to his car. When asked why this conversation did not take place during the 20 second period when his car sat stationary all work on it having been completed, it was stated that it was not possible to communicate by radio because of the countdown being given to him.

Reference to the circuit map shows that at the time Alonso was told he would be held for 20 seconds there were but 4 cars on the circuit, his own and those of Fisichella, Hamilton and Raikkonen. All but Raikkonen entered the pits such that there can have been no necessity to keep Alonso in the pits for 20 seconds waiting for a convenient gap in traffic in which to leave.

The explanation given by Alonso as to why at the expiration of the 20 second period he remained in his pit stop position for a further 10 seconds is not accepted. The Stewards find that he unnecessarily impeded another driver, Hamilton, and as a result he will be penalised by a loss of 5 grid positions.

The explanation given by the team as to why they kept Alonso stationary for 20 seconds after completion of his tire change and therefore delayed Hamilton's own pit stop is not accepted.

The actions of the team in the final minutes of Qualifying are considered prejudicial to the interests of the competition and to the interests of motor sport generally. The penalty to be applied is that such points (if any) in the 2007 Formula One Constructors Championship as accrue to the team as a result of their participation in the 2007 Hungarian Grand Prix will be withdrawn.

McLaren has appealed against the latter part of the decision, and thus may yet earn points on Sunday.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
4 to go

Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary Cary