Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Flat black

Old 06-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Subapoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ubermagoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flat black

Ive decided to paint my car flat black in lieu of common fads. Question is: what brand paint should I use to get the deepest flat black. A lot of people come out looking dark gray and I dont know if it is just the diffuse light hitting it or the paint just sux. I have allready painted the roof to see how it looks, and it doesnt seem as black as it could. any experience would be helpful. Im using krylon rust tough flat black since it seemed to work so well on my trim.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Subapoop

Default Re: Flat black

additionally, does anyone have a link to some pics of that flat black sti they had in SCC. thanks
Old 06-25-2005, 04:04 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

I had a flat black coupe, jus do a good job, buy the good shit, and it wont turn out lookin like ass.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Subapoop

whats the good shit
Old 06-25-2005, 04:30 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Hot Rod black primer. get it in the gallon for about 45 bucks, mixes 1:1 with standard lacquer thinner.

either that, or spend the bucks and get DP90.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:09 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

to each their own, but i personally can't wait until this fad is over. nothing on a nice car should be flat black imo. and primer's worse. it really just looks like you can't afford to get a nice paintjob to most people who aren't 'hip to the trend'.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:19 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

suede isnt a fad, its been used since long before any of us have ever been around.

its kinda a sign that the owner is more concerned with the power, not the looks of the car, but alot of morons have been doing it to try to be different lately, basically ruining the effect.

DP90 on a well worked straight ass body is > all others, IMO.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:28 AM
Subapoop

flat black doesnt look bad so long as its done right. if the paint lines are easy to see then yes, it will look trashy, if the car is trash to begin with, then yes it will look trashy.

honestly i dont have a lot of money to spend on paint, and this is just temporary before i do. My clearcoat is starting to peel, so nows the time to experiment. where can i pick up some dp90? sherwin williams?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by fc735
DP90 on a well worked straight ass body is > all others, IMO.
I'm assuming he can't spray or he wouldn't be asking any questions here about paint. I doubt he'll be running to the local PPG shop to pick up any product.

If the aboce is incorrect you can get in contact with Hop's Place (723-0747). If you don't want to try the "primer" recommended above they actually have a code for flat black.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend not actually using primer, use flat paint or if you want to step it up a bit use satin paint. Primer will turn chalky after awhile and the color will fade, in addition it has no sealing properties.