Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

flake v.s ice pearl

Old 01-09-2004, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xiphoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flake v.s ice pearl

I'm getting ready to paint my car and I can't decide between mini flake or ice pearl. I think im leaning more towards the mini flake since it stands out a little more.......... thing is the two colors I want to use are blue and purple and I’ve called every distributor we have and no one including house of kolors has flake in purple. If anyone knows of any vendors that sell mini flake in purple please clue me in other wise I may have to experiment and make my own (i.e. red flake with blue candy over top) or just settle for the ice pearl. Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:31 PM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

red flake with blue over the top will not help. Your thinking of what? Some sort of tri coat there, and that will only dull your red flake. You want your flake to be the last thing that's applied.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:44 PM

A company called INNATE sells a flake called the "shifty flake"

they offer a purple flake in two sizes only .008 and .015.

Also, im sure your going to be using a siphon fed, or gravity gun for spraying your flake, which is ok...i've done it before. But id recommend getting the gun called the "flake buster" its dope as hell for spraying flake.

You actually lay down your first coat a clear, then come back with the flake buster that "dry" sprays the flake onto your clear. You can go over it as many times as you want to get the results you need. Then add your final coats of clear. I have this gun and its definetly worth the money.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

broncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond repute

how much does that gun cost???

also would you be willing to rent it of for a price????
Old 01-09-2004, 02:37 PM

The gun is about a 150 bucks...

PM me when you get ready to spray your car. Right now i've lent to my friend brandon in chesapeake because he's supposed to be doing some motorcycle tanks and fenders soon.

Just let me know, i wont charge you to use it, just as long as it comes back cleaned and in once peice
Old 01-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

broncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond repute

thanks alot man. and don't worry you will get back clean and in one piece. I am kinda anal about that kinda stuff myself.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:57 AM

l
l
l
V

Last edited by Xiphoid; 01-15-2004 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:59 AM

Nates95Accord I appreciate the help your TRYING to give but don’t make comments on something you know nothing about because it makes you look like an ass. If you actually knew what you were talking about and had sprayed candy paint before you would know that candy is translucent and what ever you use as a base coat shows through the candy paint and is enhanced depending on the color of the candy.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:49 AM
I am the way.

Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula

Apart from him offering advice to and FREE use of his gun, you sure are trying to be an ass for no reason. Get off your high horse.

Even if Nate was wrong(which I doubt he is, I'll let him defend hismelf on that) that is absolutely no way to treat someone who responded to your post trying to give advice. Die slow.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Xiphoid
Nates95Accord I appreciate the help your TRYING to give but don’t make comments on something you know nothing about because it makes you look like an ass. If you actually knew what you were talking about and had sprayed candy paint before you would know that candy is translucent and what ever you use as a base coat shows through the candy paint and is enhanced depending on the color of the candy.
You Bitch, i know what the fuck im talking about. Candy is nothing but a damn tri coat, and i've been painting a body shop for almost 7 years and your telling i've never sprayed it. HAHA, moron. Also, there are PLENTY of candy colors out there And not ALL TOP COATS that get applyed over the mid coat are translucent...the color just isnt as thick as the mid coat so you can still get the effect of it.

OK, lets get this straight Candy is tanslucent right? DOESNT it have a TINT of color. DOESNT IT? Yes it does, ass. So you take a red flake, and spray a few coats of clear on it, then take another panel the same red flake, and apply layers of "translucent" BLUE over the top IT WILL HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE FLAKE and dull it and NOT change the actual color of the flake. Compare the two.

Originally posted by Xiphoid
i.e. red flake with blue candy over top)
Also, try not to be a fucking hipocrit, if you say its "translucent" how is that going to make your flake purple to begin with?
your so smart

You go ahead and paint your piece of shit how you want to paint it. Faggot. And dont look for help if your just going to be a little whinny baby bitch about it.

Oh, and thanks Ambient

Last edited by s2k7; 01-15-2004 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: flake v.s ice pearl