Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Driving age in MA

Old 03-31-2006, 03:49 AM
Mermaider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these parts
Post Driving age in MA

Alright guys, I'm temporarily in Massachusetts and there has been a lot in the news recently on raising the driving age. Currently lawmakers have proposed that the driving age be raised from 16 1/2 to 17 1/2. Also, instead of 6 hours of drivers ed they are asking for 15hours. Parental supervision will also be raised to 50 hours. Penalties will be increased as well. Mandatory 1 year suspension for speeding and passenger restrictions will be enforced.

This has been a pretty controversial topic here, a lot of people say there is no research showing teenagers will become better drivers with the driving age being raised.

Discuss?

Link for more.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/art..._teen_drivers/
Old 03-31-2006, 03:59 AM
I hate soccermoms

v8Buster has disabled reputation
Default Re: Driving age in MA

Well sound like your state is just as stupid as mine(Va). They increased the age to get a learners permit from 15 to 15 1/2 but increased the time to get your license by only 3 months (16 3mon.) That only really gives you 9 months to learn to drive a car good enough to be safe on the road. You are right because in my opinion, its not the age that makes you "drive fast" its the thrill of first getting your license, after a while, it gets old( to most people).
They also go off the maturity and drinking and driving crap, in my opinion people should be able to drink before they can drive so that they know their limits, and what the affects and risks are behind the wheel of a vehicle. Because now the drunk driving laws are strict(thank god , even though my dad totalled my car DUI). Anyway you are right, state legislators are stupid, every year they try and fix crap that doesnt really need to be fixed. pretty soon you will have to be 21, then 31 then probably 50 till you can drive.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:16 AM
Mermaider

MAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these parts

Alright, just to clarify my post.

I'm am not taking a stab at the state or the lawmakers. I'm merely bringing up a debate.

My opinion on the matter is this:
I don't think the age is going to make any difference, but, I do feel the stricter regulations and penalties may prove to make a slight change.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

I agree, I believe that experience, rather than age is the determining factor.