Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Do You Want To Go Faster?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN
Default Re: Do You Want To Go Faster?

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
That's the dilemma.... I would be comfortable and safe cruising at 100-120 w/o issue. I have the right car for it, I keep my car in proper mechanical condition, and I have track experience and know proper situational awareness i.e where to look and what to expect of other people around me on the road etc.

The average fools we have to deal with driving on a daily basis really have no business behind the wheel, let alone going fast.... they don't pay attention, don't know the basic rules of the road, don't have common sense, and many don't keep their cars in safe operating condition.

That said, people allready go 80 when/where they want to so I don't see this 5 mph increase changing much of anything. If anything, it'll result in more reckless tickets b/c they're not changing the over 80 law.
With your experience, can you honestly tell me a highway in VA that you would feel comfortable traveling that fast on...even if there were no other vehicles on the road?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

I have traveled almost that fast on a highway, it isn't that bad and I am sure in a corvette with a maintained record would handle better than a camry with blown shocks and massive amounts of body roll. I wish interstates wouldn't have speed limits honestly and left lane could be for going fast and right lane for the retards who might as well be using regular streets.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 AM
SUCKAFISH

MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8

Not with all the chopped up pavement and pot holes on i64,295 and i95
Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

I travel those almost never and a recent trip to springfield VA we took nothing but those and averaged above 70 mph with the so called bad pavement.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

learn how to drive, or stay opff the fucking road. This wont affect me. I do 80 minimum, changeing the top speed to 70, whats the big deal, wreakless will still be 80mph. They should make eating and phones in cars illegal before this, but whatever.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
learn how to drive, or stay opff the fucking road. This wont affect me. I do 80 minimum, changeing the top speed to 70, whats the big deal, wreakless will still be 80mph. They should make eating and phones in cars illegal before this, but whatever.
Thank you! I have been wondering how to get to wreakless for ages.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:27 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Man good thing you made this timely thread. This only passed several months ago.

Do you really think an inattentive driver is any safer with a 65mph speed limit than with a 70mph speed limit? You think most people are going to change the speed they drive at based on this? All it does is make the speed limit a little more in line with the speed people actually drive, which is a good thing - it's not dangerous to have every car going 75-80mph, what is dangerous is having 99% of cars going 75-80mph while 1% are going 65mph.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

this wont change anything
Old 06-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Banned

coolrider has disabled reputation

it is cool !
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Man good thing you made this timely thread. This only passed several months ago.

Do you really think an inattentive driver is any safer with a 65mph speed limit than with a 70mph speed limit? You think most people are going to change the speed they drive at based on this? All it does is make the speed limit a little more in line with the speed people actually drive, which is a good thing - it's not dangerous to have every car going 75-80mph, what is dangerous is having 99% of cars going 75-80mph while 1% are going 65mph.
You actually have your percentages backwards...1% of vehicles are traveling 75-80 while 90%+ are near the speed limit. When I go to the beach, most traffic on I-64 is going 65, west of Richmond they are traveling about 70. Very little traffic is traveling 75-80.

I agree with the highlighted statement, which is why the speed limit needs to be lowered and fines increased for exceeding the speed limit. All the higher speed limit will do is increase the number of fatalities on the interstate for sake of saving 2-3 minutes of travel time. The reason I say this is that the majority of drivers (including most of the people posting in this thread) do not know how to control a vehicle in an emergency situation. Anybody can drive 150mph down a straight highway, but what happens when a slower vehicle pulls in front of you or you find a pothole or a 2x4 or a ladder? People are overturning vehicles on the highway at 65mph, why increase the speed limit? The only thing it will do is increase the odds of a fatality.

A little more food for thought...I am one of those that are traveling less than 65 on the highway. I pull a 33' 10,000 lb camper with my F250 a couple of times a month. The tires on my camper have a max speed rating of 65mph, as do most ST trailer tires. While I do have the power and appropriate hitch to prevent sway, I still travel 60-65 on the highway so that I can easily handle the unexpected. A trailer that starts to sway at 70 is much harder to bring under control than one that starts to sway at 60, not to mention the idiots that don't respect others and insist on cutting off larger vehicles. Don't I have a right to use the highways that I am paying taxes for?

Quick Reply: Do You Want To Go Faster?