Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

cons of running an open DP?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 AM
1505/2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon
Default Re: cons of running an open DP?

Just make sure the area around the cut out is free of important stuff.(wires hoses etc). it can get really hot and melt underbody coating easily. basically anything in the general area will get hot and usually pretty nasty.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 AM
c'mon

Dmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jarrod
A friend of mine got a no cat ticket, it was basically improper equipment.

Now, if they catch a state inspector putting a sticker on a car with no cat, that may be a 50k fine.

I loved open downpipe on my car, but I had a small turbo so it'd spool pretty quick and it'd sound sick.
haha im pretty sure mine is smaller than yours (stock 1.8t turbo) it already starts spooling at like 1.5k rpm

Originally Posted by execelon
Just make sure the area around the cut out is free of important stuff.(wires hoses etc). it can get really hot and melt underbody coating easily. basically anything in the general area will get hot and usually pretty nasty.
thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dmac
haha im pretty sure mine is smaller than yours (stock 1.8t turbo) it already starts spooling at like 1.5k rpm

thanks

yeah the big turbos sound ever better with open down pipe...friends boost gsr with like 7inch long 3inch down pipe sounds beast as fuck, just at idle, and the touch of the gas pedal sends that turbo sound screaming...damn i love it.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 AM
c'mon

Dmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DecentCivicZ6
yeah the big turbos sound ever better with open down pipe...friends boost gsr with like 7inch long 3inch down pipe sounds beast as fuck, just at idle, and the touch of the gas pedal sends that turbo sound screaming...damn i love it.
lol i'd probably start up spooling
Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 AM
MIKEOXMALL

jeffery has disabled reputation

search the 'tex I am sure someone on there has done it many of times.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:53 AM
c'mon

haha I checked there came up with nothing, turns out that my dp is welded to the exhaust so no open dp for me :[ do have the 3 inch coming soon though
Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 AM
V8CRM8R

GTi-R is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 9civic5
Open DP is the shit!
FTMW!

Loud is good but not if its your daily
Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 AM
1505/2000

execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon

just get a exhaust cut out.. you'll learn to love burning your fingers on wingnuts.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

I am actually researching this right now too. Can't run an open DP on the DD but was thinking about an electronic cut out - most people on here are recommending cut outs but it still seems like the old fashioned manual style.

I thought being able to flip it open with a switch would outweigh the extra effort of running power and cost.

Anyone? I thought the elec cutout was a brilliant idea. Closed for normal driving - wide open for the v8s
Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

I hear the E-cutouts stick quite a bit-

Quick Reply: cons of running an open DP?