Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: What to do?
More Flush
17.95%
Track Build
28.21%
Leave up, save all cash for new project car
53.85%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Celica Build? More flush or Track time or leave it?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
mmmmmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake
Default Re: Celica Build? More flush or Track time or leave it?

Originally Posted by shawn22
Dont be afraid to lowball people either. Its winter, and they're not going to sell as quick as they would in the summer. Plus people will take alot less than what they list when you show up with cash
found a few on CL for $2000-$3000.
Insurance for it at bare minimum is $800 a year.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:55 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Also, check Searchtempest.com

If any of those have a hardtop, figure on being able to sell it for $800 if you choose to do that. Its almost guaranteed to go FAST for that price as long as its in halfway decent shape.

Also, that insurance seems kinda high. Is that on your policy with the multi car discount? Also, you probably only need liability being as it'll be a track car. I wanna say when I had the miata as a single car on my policy, it was only like $42/mo.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Originally Posted by shawn22
Also, check Searchtempest.com

If any of those have a hardtop, figure on being able to sell it for $800 if you choose to do that. Its almost guaranteed to go FAST for that price as long as its in halfway decent shape.

Also, that insurance seems kinda high. Is that on your policy with the multi car discount? Also, you probably only need liability being as it'll be a track car. I wanna say when I had the miata as a single car on my policy, it was only like $42/mo.
Good to know on selling the hard top, as most of them had them.

Insurance in Florida sucks and is 4x higher than what I was paying in VA. "Basic liability" coverage in FL is equal to middle grade VA coverage. Our minimums are crazy high.

I've never heard of Searchtempest, will check that out.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

searchtempest basically will search every craigslist within a few hundred miles of your zip code. Much better than using normal CL if you're actually looking for something specific and are willing to travel a little bit.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

+1 on search tempest.

I'll throw in a 1g awd DSM as a good track option too as I'm looking to pick one up for the same purpose. It'll have a lot more balls behind it than a miata too. Finding one is the tricky part though
Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by POS DSM
+1 on search tempest.

I'll throw in a 1g awd DSM as a good track option too as I'm looking to pick one up for the same purpose. It'll have a lot more balls behind it than a miata too. Finding one is the tricky part though
Um, reliable and dsm don't mix.

Id leave the celica alone and get a miata. Celica is doooppee as is.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

They can be, you just have to find one that hasn't been hacked. hence the "tricky part finding one"
Old 09-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by POS DSM
+1 on search tempest.

yeah no. miata/sentar/civic/integra/basically anything with 4 cylinders and no turbo>dsm when it comes to a reliable track car.

EDIT: now that i really think about it, i dont think i have ever seen a dsm at the track... probably a good reason for that.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong

I've had only 1 unreliable dsm. Ifyou do all maintenance then supporting mods then performance upgrades it'll be reliable. I've seen 1 1g track car and several 2g track cars and 1 gvr4 track car. I also recommend a miata or first and second gen mr2's and of course an E30
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Jive Turkey

Sure any NA 4 cyl will be more reliable then....well then just about anything...less moving parts. But 130hp gets boring really fast if the car is street driven at all. Most DSM owners interested in organized competition are into drag racing, and the rest build street RAcEr cars with unnecessarily huge turbos. That doesn't mean they can't be competitive...for a turbo AWD car they are relatively light and are simple, easy to work on cars, and parts are cheap and easy to find. but anyways, I'm not here to argue, a miata or sentar will be cheaper hands down, I'd rather spend a little more on a DSM for the the added power. Keep it maintained with quality parts and reliability shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply: Celica Build? More flush or Track time or leave it?