Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: What to do?
More Flush
17.95%
Track Build
28.21%
Leave up, save all cash for new project car
53.85%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Celica Build? More flush or Track time or leave it?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 AM
mmmmmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake
Default Celica Build? More flush or Track time or leave it?

Here is the most recent photo, currently she sits a bit lower.

I am looking at going three routes:

Option 1 (lower and more flush): New set of wheels and tires, something full faced 18x9 or so (currently on 17s) along with having my exhaust done. (cheaper route)

Option 2 (track build): Remove interior, welded cage, track wheels, raise coilovers to properly working spec, better radiator, exhaust, seat, harness, wheel, gopro camera and go to track days. (as my skills progress I will move to increasing power and adjusting suspension parts)

Obviously option 1 is the cheaper route. Option 2 is tossed in the mix because Sebring is a 50 minute drive from my house. I have been wanting to pick up a FC rx7 for a drift build (separate drift track 30 minutes from my house), however I do not have the space for a second car so this has to wait till I move. Boredom has made me want to make a change to the celica, just trying to figure out what to do.

Option 3: Would be to just leave the car as it is and wait till I have room for a second car. Probably not moving for at least 1.5 years.

Either way, the celica will still be my daily driver.

Thanks for the input.

(I dunno why the hell the poll says Leave Up, I guess I wrote two thoughts at the same time of Save Up/Leave It)

Last edited by Harold_Fastwake; 09-26-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 AM
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15
Default Re: Celica Build? More flush or Track time or leave it?

go for a track car

that got my vote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Do not track any car that you are not willing to push off a cliff.

Truer words have NEVER been spoken.

On that note, buy yourself something stock, and track it. You doing all sorts of shit to the car is not going to help. Learn the car, then you'll know what you need to do to it in order to make it faster, once you've gotten to the point where the car is holding you back.

Also, you will need race seats (plural) with most groups. Your instructor will not ride in a stock seat with harnesses (huge no no) while you get to ride in a plush safe race seat.

If I were you, I'd raise the car up, get some stock wheels and decent street tires to throw on there, a CG lock for your seatbelts, and some good brake pads and stainless lines. Leave the rest of the car alone and go track the shit out of it.

Last edited by shawn22; 09-26-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM
DGAF

Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie

Sell that celica, import a ST-205 AllTrac. Win Win
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 AM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

i'd leave the celica as is, i like it.

getchu a SENTAR and track that.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

Originally Posted by Delta Charlie
Sell that celica, import a ST-205 AllTrac. Win Win
I had an all trac...my dad brought it back when he was drafting building plans in sasebo...unfortunately this was during my riced out teen years and I totaled in....It was an awesome awesome car...I would rape a nun for another one
Old 09-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I've always found the looks of those a little....challenging. I'd turn it into a track car if you want, because it's a good cheap base. It's not rare or valuable, so if you destroy it than it isn't a big deal in the overall automotive ecosystem. Basically, do whatever you want with it.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-26-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:23 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

To be honest, if its your daily, I'd just look at getting something else cheap to track.

I'm highly biased, but a NA miata is pretty much the way to go. You can pick up a cheap, mechanically reliable miata for like $1200. Add a $500 rollbar, brake pads, and some decent tires, and you've got a car that will be rediculous amounts of fun on track, and once you learn to drive it, be able to make all sorts of people mad in the tight sections.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:23 AM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Id say track it.

You dont need a cage for HPDE's - and youll be in HPDE's for at a minumum of 2 years ... so you have plenty of time to do the cage down the road.

Throw some Azenis or some Star Specs on it, some Hawk pads ..... gut it .... and go on track with it, I can promise you will never regret it.

This HELLAFLUSH thing is just a fad, it will fade just as Bodykits and underglows did, just as JDM everything did.

A Race Track will never fade ....

Last edited by Broke Neck; 09-26-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Car will be stock if I track it except for the current coilovers and a cage. I would buy the bare minimum parts to get me safely on the track.

I do understand that I have to be willing to part with the car if I track it. Accidents happen, I just don't have the space to store a second car.
Unless I can hunt down a close to me cheap storage space......$200 a month is a bit absurd to just house a car.

Celica has been in my family since new in 1996, I have no desire to sell it, so I figure I need to put it to better use. I'd like to buy a VW CC or IS250 for a new (used) DD. Better to run it hard under my time then some 16 year old kid who runs it up a tree.

Edit: Miata for $1200??

Dang, that may just become the new track option. I used to drive my buddies in h.s. all the time and it was fun as hell.

Quick Reply: Celica Build? More flush or Track time or leave it?