Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Camaro or Trans AM Tranny

Old 10-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pimpingreen13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Camaro or Trans AM Tranny

Hi I had a question for you LS1 guys on here. IM lookin to buy either a 98 or above camaro or Trans Am pretty much anything with an LS1 and i was wondering how good the auto trannys hold up? I want a 6spd but everytime i find one with T-tops and Low mileage its always auto so im thinkin about just getting an auto. Does anybody have a Auto LS1 Camaro or tranny? ever had any problems with it?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:06 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Camaro or Trans AM Tranny

better to drag with. i like them, but most people bitch about not being able to change gears themselves. i have rarely had issues with that tranny working on them, if that means anything to ya.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:24 PM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

should last you fine with the exception of a rare torque converter clutch problem, which is a pretty easy fix.

when you start doing stuff like 4000 stalls, etc. your tranny life will obviously be shortened.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

A4 won't be as hard on the stock 10 bolt as an M6 will. If you plan on daily driving it I say hold out for an M6 because it's a much more fun drive to row gears, but auto > manual when it comes to racing. But to answer your original question for the most part neither tranny ever have any main problems.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:56 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rally Red 98
should last you fine with the exception of a rare torque converter clutch problem, which is a pretty easy fix.

when you start doing stuff like 4000 stalls, etc. your tranny life will obviously be shortened.
The stock A4 is plenty for the stock motor and even well into basic bolt-ons, usually pretty reliable up to and a little past 400rwhp. Never heard of torque converter clutch problems on a stcok A4. Aftermarket converters have had lock up clutch problems back in the day, but those have since been fixed.
Throw on a transmission cooler and a good 3500-4000 stall converter and lay down some low 12 second passes and generally slay anything on the street from a stop. Not even the AWD guys can play with a stalled LS1, even on a set of stock 17in Goodyear F1 radials I was able to get 1.90 60ft, replaced them with a set of 17in BFG Drag Radials and was able to get a 1.56 60ft. Not one single tranny problem until I started spraying 150shots. Very reliable and the best way to get down the track quickly.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

I've never had a problem with my A4.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Team Ultra Slow

1998Silverbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Or keep looking for a 6 speed.. Picked up my 02 WS6 M6 with 37,000 miles on it for 15,800... and that was in Virginia Beach at a dealership..
Old 10-13-2005, 04:37 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 1998Silverbird
Or keep looking for a 6 speed.. Picked up my 02 WS6 M6 with 37,000 miles on it for 15,800... and that was in Virginia Beach at a dealership..

I will say this you "will" have issues with the clutch sooner than later on an M6. They are very well known for the clutch pedal sticking to the floor during gear changes. They also have been known not to go into gear. The best year is the 02 F-bods, they at least got the upgraded Z06 clutch parts.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

Originally Posted by BigBake
I will say this you "will" have issues with the clutch sooner than later on an M6. They are very well known for the clutch pedal sticking to the floor during gear changes. They also have been known not to go into gear. The best year is the 02 F-bods, they at least got the upgraded Z06 clutch parts.
01 had the Z06 clutch as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Team Ultra Slow

1998Silverbird is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a extended warrenty for the next 3 years.. Thanks for the info though..

Quick Reply: Camaro or Trans AM Tranny