Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Calling all Ford guys

Old 07-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Is it Friday yet?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Calling all Ford guys

Originally Posted by tooquick4most
I would suggest the link that Uncle benz sent you. Even though its expensive it will last longer and be more streetable. The way you are talking however it looks like you will be close to 8000 dollars anyway. With a different pulley on that supercharger on that engine you would be a low 12 second car that could be driven daily with pretty good gas mileage as well. Plus there may be a warranty on that engine so if it ever breaks you could get it fixed. Just some things to think about.
Im pretty sure Uncle Benz is pushing alot of hp to the tire. Something like 550rwhp ?
But if I stick a mod motor in a foxbody, wouldnt it be a pain in the ass conversion?

Don't mean to sound like P DUB, but I xpect to spend quite a bit, im not worried about that.

The current setup I have....errrr, well....had, was low 11's. and gas mileage, well...that comes with the terratory.

UB at 550? Nahhhh, I think its more in the neighborhood of 675?
Old 07-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Is it Friday yet?

Ghostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 92Hatch04
The DSS 302 based motors are not going to handle 800rwhp, which equates to almost 1000fwhp. I dont care what they do to those blocks, its the webbing in the blocks that is weak. Main supports dont do a damn thing except hold the block together when it splits in half; I have seen pics. You will need to run a Dart block to handle that power. Check out Bennettracing.com.
I think I will get a Dart block this time around.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:58 PM
squad up!!!

To0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud of

so far, not a damn thing has been said in this thread i havnt already told you..
Old 07-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

Dart block. if you're looking to go 500+ get the dart block and save yourself another rebuild. the heads and cam you'll need to make 800 won't be very streetable if you're using a 302 block as the base (stroked or not). a 331 would be a good midrange to have leaving you enough block to boost the bejesus out of it. AFR heads work well with a blower so that's a go. As far as longevity and oil temp, put an external oil cooler on it. should drop temps by at least 20deg. a 347 probably won't last long with the power you want to push. full internals are a must. also a balanced and polished crank with higher capacity oil pan (with windage trays) would be a good idea.

just crack your block or what?
Old 07-24-2004, 07:19 PM
gyl
Registered Member

gyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these parts

ok...first off...if you want that much hp your going to have to make a decision here...500 plus rwhp your not looking at a car your gonna take on a trip to fla.now...800 rwhp...your talking very VERY rarely used on the street...if at all.and when you start gettin towards 500 or more rwhp you have to think about more than just your motor...can your tranny take it?can your rear end?do you have enough fuel system for a car with more than 500 hp?from conversations i have had with you...and from what i have read about your car...i honestly do not think you know how much it takes to get 500 or more rwhp.lemme put it this way...i have a 351w...it's bored and stroked to a bit over 400 cubic inches now...this is an extremely built motor...just on motor i have a bit over 600hp...put this in perspective to you...i have $25,000 in this motor..between parts and labor.and i easily have another $15,000 in the car,drivetrain and other things associated...just to have over 800hp....are you ready to spend some real money?cause you want the hp...that's what you're gonna have to do.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:37 PM
gyl
Registered Member

gyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Soon2BeStangin
Yea, but if you go with a 351, you wont be able to reuse your intake, distributor, hood, or headers. Same goes for the rest, I dont know if that is an issue to you or not.

With a 408 or 460 youll probably need a different Kmember aswell.
a 408 is a 351w...just bored and stroked...and it will work in a stock k-member.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:51 AM

Blue has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Stangsta]Well, I (actually To0c0ol) blew up my engine (not his fault though). So, I was thinking of getting a DSS longblock with AFR heads. Not sure on the displacement that i'm going to go with, but the compression should be 9:1.

First of all, anyone reccomend DSS, or have had any positive or negative dealings with them? If not, any suggestions?

Second, where would you reccomend that I go to do the motor swap?

Personally, I was thinking Street Performance (formally Holeshot). But although they have excellent customer service, I have not heard great things about their work.

I am most concerned that when the motor gets put in, that the rings seat and I dont end up with the problem I had on my last 2 engines, blowby and oil burning out the tailpipes.

I will be parting out the old longblock that has a whopping 6k miles on it.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even the "I told ya so's" and "mustangs " [/QUOTE

Give the guys over at Dyno Tuned Performance a call (757) 549-3966. They can hook you up will everything you need to make your car go fast!! They also have had previous dealings with DSS motors. Some of them have made around 500h.p. at the rear wheels on pump gas. I have a DSS motor in my daily driver, it runs like a champ. I have no complaints whatsoever. The power is great and oil pressure is awesome!!
The guys over at Dyno Tuned Performance are very professional and can get the parts you want, install them, and tune it properly!! Just give them a call.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Is it Friday yet?

Originally Posted by Blue
Give the guys over at Dyno Tuned Performance a call (757) 549-3966. They can hook you up will everything you need to make your car go fast!! They also have had previous dealings with DSS motors. Some of them have made around 500h.p. at the rear wheels on pump gas. I have a DSS motor in my daily driver, it runs like a champ. I have no complaints whatsoever. The power is great and oil pressure is awesome!!
The guys over at Dyno Tuned Performance are very professional and can get the parts you want, install them, and tune it properly!! Just give them a call.
They are the geniuses who did my tune (1 month ago)
Old 07-25-2004, 10:40 AM
yea, i'm that guy

fatboyee has disabled reputation

low comp 460, single 101mm huffer, spyder efi setup/accel dfi (tuned by lethal efi perf.), c6 w/ brake, 9" rear...

combo should put you WELL into the goaled hp...
Old 07-25-2004, 10:55 AM

92awddsm is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say 331 if its a 5 spd or a 347 with an auto. The rod ratio is worse on the 347 than it is on the 331 so you would need to keep the revs down a little on it. The only experiance I have with dss is the main girdle in my brothers 347 but dont know much about the short blocks. Which afr heads do you have? You will never reach the hp range you are looking for if you only have the 185cc heads. The 205 will give good power but the 225 is what you really need. Good luck with the build up.

Quick Reply: Calling all Ford guys