Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Calling all Ford guys

Old 07-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Is it Friday yet?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Calling all Ford guys

Originally Posted by 92awddsm
I would say 331 if its a 5 spd or a 347 with an auto. The rod ratio is worse on the 347 than it is on the 331 so you would need to keep the revs down a little on it. The only experiance I have with dss is the main girdle in my brothers 347 but dont know much about the short blocks. Which afr heads do you have? You will never reach the hp range you are looking for if you only have the 185cc heads. The 205 will give good power but the 225 is what you really need. Good luck with the build up.
I don't have the heads yet. When I buy the motor, I will buy the heads. Im going to ditch the Edlebrock RPM's that I have now.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668

I did not read the post on this thread only saw ford guys and motor swap....MAS take it to MAS thank you that is all
Old 07-25-2004, 04:42 PM
blingin cracka

KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster

Originally Posted by Stangsta
I was told not to port the AFR's because they are damn good out of the box. If I need to have them ported to get close to my goal, then I will do it.

I was also told that if I stroke the motor, it will cut down on the life of the engine (as if racing doesn't ) I do need it to be set up as a daily driver even though it isn't my daily driver, and need to keep the operating temps normal. But I will buy the strongest block on the market, im not pulling this engine for a 4th time .

I have the 12 rib setup, so I should be fine there.

I'll go see Greg on Monday, at the very least to talk to him and give him the opportunity. I just need to have it "done right". If all goes well, I should have the battle plan on Monday of what im gonna go and approxamately the cost. I know its gonna cost a pretty penny, just hope I dont get raped.
youre absolutely correct about not porting the AFRs..theyre cnc ported already which promotes power production (velocity).

as for stroking the motor reducing the life of the motor....well it was mentioned earlier..rod/stroke ratio. some 347s have had oil control issues.

and i agree with gyl......800 rwhp is kinda really pushing it on the street. i wouldnt put a 5 (or6) speed behind that....youll do nothing but spin. i suggest a good 306 or even like a 318 something that you can rev since you have a centrifugal blower. i think the more rpm you spin it (giving more hp since centrifugals make more power up top) will off set the extra power you would get from a stroker. it would also make it way more streetable. you wont be blowing the tires away every time you touch the gas.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

800hp daily driver? Oh boy, where to start...

First and foremost, if you want to make any more than 500 rwhp, don't even bother with the stock block. It might last some time, but you're only riding around on borrowed time at that power level. Anyone who's been down that road can tell you that.

Second, if this is going to be something you drive a lot, you need to think about streetability. The more cubic inches you have, the slower you'll have to spin the motor to accomplish your hp goal and the less aggressive you'll have to be with your cam. I'd absolutely look into a 351-based stroker combination.

Third, I'd look into switching power adders personally. I'm not saying it can't be done with a supercharger, that'd be a ridiculous ascertation, but turbo motors require a much less aggressive, re: more streetable, cam than other power adder motors.

A friend of mine had a daily driver that put down 500hp/600 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels (93 octane) on a simple 302 combo with GT40x heads, cobra intake, STOCK cam, and a 64mm turbo. He got over 25 mpg on the highway and made several trips back and forth from chesapeake to florida where he was originally from. I have no doubt 800 rwhp can be done, it's just a matter of picking the right parts for the combination and being SMART about your tune.

I'd start by contacting one of the higher profile engine builders who've been there, done that so-to-speak. I mean no disrespect to any of the local guys, as I'm sure they know their stuff, but I haven't seen anyone riding around VA with what you're looking for. I've personally worked with Ed Curtis of http://www.flowtechinduction.com in the past on my own projects and couldn't be happier with the service and results. Jon Bennett (as someone mentioned before) is also a good choice. Lidio Iacobelli of http://www.alternativeauto.com is also known for building insane street cars. You may want to check him out as well.

my .02
Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 AM

NOVA50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Turbos are evil, I turbocharged my stang and now its dead its the work of the devil. There is a forum of turbocharged mustangs and there is a club of non-running turbocharged stang..scary thought
Old 07-27-2004, 08:12 AM

slither slither slither slither slither slither

I say if you want that much hp, go with atleast a 351 based motor and a turbo, dfi tuned. Lots of money, but streetability should be there with the proper combo and tuning/cooling.
I am shooting for 1000hp in my supra and want it to be able to hit long trips also, so I know the feeling
Old 07-27-2004, 10:37 AM

NOVA50 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a guy in MM&FF with a fake saleen turbostang with 11-1200 hp and it was his only car. He was pretty cool and helpful with my build up. I believe it was a 347 setup with a single turbo, tweecer(sp) tuned. That just goes to show you it can be done but not with a stock block. Someone had a stock block pushing 700hp but he kept a stockpile of them because they didnt last long.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Full Retard

tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr

My personal opinion is this. An r block or dart would both handle the power you want but, would be no where near as streetable as an expensively built 408 windsor. My personal preference is Kieth Craft Racing engines. 870-246-7460. Call them tell them what you want to do and they will build it intake to oil pan, and it will work. Next I think a big turbo with relatively low boost (10-14#'s) would also make the power and still be pretty streetable. You could also have a boost controller in car to make it even more streetable for trips. Of course you will need all of the supporting cast (fuel, drivetrain, and Ignition) But that isn't too hard to figure out. It costs alot of money to make alot of power, It takes even more to make it a streetable Combo. $$$$$$$ good luck. wish I had the money for it.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Is it Friday yet?

Ghostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the rough

Just want to say thanks for all the responses. Y'all have definately helped me understand more about what to do, and what to use.

Now for the results of my turd:

Had the heads removed, both head gaskets blown! I will post a pic of the carnage if I get a bunch of requests. Block is intact So, being im buying a house, im just gonna fix the head gaskets. My 42# injectors might be too small. Gonna try some things, but I heard they will be fine. Upon further invstagation, I was using the wrong size spark plugs. They were not reaching the combustion chamber. On top of that, my fuel was overheating. The return line was going back into the sump and back out the feed line. Im having the return line relocated to the top of the tank to fix that problem.

I should be back on the road in the middle of next week. Heads are at the machine shop being checked and possibly milled.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:09 PM
blingin cracka

KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster KungFuHamster

Originally Posted by Stangsta
Just want to say thanks for all the responses. Y'all have definately helped me understand more about what to do, and what to use.

Now for the results of my turd:

Had the heads removed, both head gaskets blown! I will post a pic of the carnage if I get a bunch of requests. Block is intact So, being im buying a house, im just gonna fix the head gaskets. My 42# injectors might be too small. Gonna try some things, but I heard they will be fine. Upon further invstagation, I was using the wrong size spark plugs. They were not reaching the combustion chamber. On top of that, my fuel was overheating. The return line was going back into the sump and back out the feed line. Im having the return line relocated to the top of the tank to fix that problem.

I should be back on the road in the middle of next week. Heads are at the machine shop being checked and possibly milled.
two blown head gaskets...i wonder what that looked like?

well thats a lot cheaper than a new motor...

Quick Reply: Calling all Ford guys