Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Built motor mileage.

Old 07-23-2003, 05:58 PM
What FMIC?????

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX
Default Built motor mileage.

Well just wanted to start a disscusion about engines a bit.. Engine type doesn't really matter though cause this is done to just about every car here.

Well I'm sure alot of people on here have built engines, or stock engines and running some pretty good power through them.

Now once you start putting down 2-3 times the amount of hp the car came with can you really expect to get good engine life/mileage from an engine?

It always depends on how good of care you take of the engine, but can you expect even 100k miles outta a built engine, or even a stock one that most times through some kind of FI now doubled its power output.

Always hear people say they have had 500+ hp in such and such engine for two years... but that don't mean shit to me if he only drives it on weekends when the weathers nice, and in that time maybe put 5k miles on it.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:03 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i bought my car with 103k miles on it, my motor blew up at 153k, but that was cause of a malfunction in the car, i was boosting 10 psi just about everyday and i drove it everyday, i raced the hell out of it at the track also, i was boosting for about a year and a half before it let loose.........
Old 07-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Team Ultra Slow

1998Silverbird is an unknown quantity at this point

If you build a motor with forged internals, with normal maintainance and not leaning out I am sure the motor will last for a long time driving everyday..
Old 07-23-2003, 08:33 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard that a motor with forged pistons will not last as long (maybe 60k miles?) because of the needed increase in piston to sidewall clearance.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Originally posted by mpg9999
I have heard that a motor with forged pistons will not last as long (maybe 60k miles?) because of the needed increase in piston to sidewall clearance.
This is not a true statement. Not all manufacturers use the same materials when making their pistons. The silcon content of the piston has a large impact on the sidewall clearances that are needed. In other words, there is a forged piston out there for the full out racer who is not worried about pulling the engine apart frequently, or the daily driven racer who is looking for longevity as well as performance.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:27 AM
had yours today?

animus is an unknown quantity at this point

One hundred millllllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiooooooooooonn nnnnnnnn miles. <pinky twist up> Muw ha ha ha. </pinky twist up>