Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BMW questions

Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 AM
OCD
miata fag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD
Default BMW questions

I am thinking about picking up a 2000 BMW Z3 roadster for a family member, I don't have any experience with BMW's but know my way around a car. I know I need to take the VIN to a dealership and check the maintenance records, but other than that is there anything I should be concerned about checking? It's got 60k on the clock and looks like it has been well taken care of, but I want as much info as I can get before I commit to buying it.

Also, are there any good BMW websites anyone can recommend? I found e46fanatics when reading other BMW posts, any others?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Re: BMW questions

Bimmerforums.com. There will be a z3-specific section on that board that will probably have a sticky thread about common problems or what to look for when purchasing. They did with e36's.

60k for a 2000 implies the car was driven on weekends only. Probably garage kept, and well-maintained. Carfax can give you an idea of the maintenance history as well, but I dont know the details on what type of maintenance makes it/doesn't make it into carfax...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

drivendude has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ocd
I am thinking about picking up a 2000 BMW Z3 roadster for a family member, I don't have any experience with BMW's Car Electronics but know my way around a car. I know I need to take the VIN to a dealership and check the maintenance records, but other than that is there anything I should be concerned about checking? It's got 60k on the clock and looks like it has been well taken care of, but I want as much info as I can get before I commit to buying it.

Also, are there any good BMW websites anyone can recommend? I found e46fanatics when reading other BMW posts, any others?
Ya Bimmer Forums is one of the biggest site. Great choice honestly.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
OCD
miata fag

OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD

Bimmerforums.com seems like exactly what I am looking for, thanks!