Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BMW 335 or Infiniti G35?

Old 05-23-2006, 03:35 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....
Default Re: BMW 335 or Infiniti G35?

dang, the answer to the question is in the title of the thread. Noticing that the BMW comes BEFORe the G35. lol
Old 05-23-2006, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Bigbake, Its not that BMW has it to the barrier of no more tweaking.. its that the ecu senses the mods and tweaks itself back to the set map, Now if u flash it,the mods come to life, and its 500$ for a flash, or hell 1200$ if u wanna go standalone.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:35 AM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Moriar
Bigbake, Its not that BMW has it to the barrier of no more tweaking.. its that the ecu senses the mods and tweaks itself back to the set map, Now if u flash it,the mods come to life, and its 500$ for a flash, or hell 1200$ if u wanna go standalone.

I got a 2004 330i, find me some software.... there is none, because they have already looked into it. I mean the factory added cams and exhuast and gained a whole 5hp over the standard 330, I think that says a lot right there. Dinan does not make a tune, and there is no "Shark" available for my model. Here is something to further illustrate my point car with the following mods: Modifications: Conforti Shark+CAI/SS Headers+High Flow Cats/Custom T304 pipe/Eisenmann Race muffler

Sorry but thats a lot of money and only a 5rwhp gain, it speaks volumes! No that is not mine.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BigBake
Uhhh yeah, it was just stated the stock ECU cannot be tweaked further, so a stand alone which costs big $$$$, fuel system big $$$$, turbos $$$$, new exhuast big $$$$, anything BMW related = big $$$$$$$$. The costs would amount to the same as placing a turbo on a NA set-up, so whats the point?
I ask you...Which would you rather have for 600hp? a NA supra or a ttsupra?
Same concept...which would you rather have for 600hp? a 330 or 335tt?

Internals were never the discussion pont, just the fact that you are not simply going to up the boost, and expect the stock ECU to allow for that tweak. To give you a finer point, the 3.0l has no tuning software available from any major tuner for a good reason. The gains were so minimal it was not a worth while project. So what makes you think the turbo version is going to have such a huge amount of slop involved? Just because it is FI? Ok you keep thinking that. Those other manufactirers it is well known that even the NA model could be modified to get good gains in there NA models. So I am not following your point. The LS1 for instance can take a moderate cam without any tuning done and come out with average gains of 25rwhp, throw a tune onto it and up to 60rwhp is not unheard of.
The internals were implied. This just will not be be a standard 3.0l with two turbos slapped on. It was already stated that this was going to be a totally new direction for BMW, and they wouldn't blotch it by simplying bolting on two turbos without the aid of stronger components to handle extra power.

Nobody in their right mind would just add some sort of boost control and turn it up without adding the appropriate fuel/timing adjustments. Especially not aftermarket...so saying that this will be STOCK ecu is moot. But even if it was stock ecu, software upgrades would undoubtly interrupt the stock ecu's ablity to adopt for the mods.

FI changes engineering from almost EVERY perspective...ESPECIALLY ecu tune for postive pressure. Your point by using the 3.0l NA as a comparision becomes also moot due to this fact.

Yet again...i ask you. For 600hp which would you rather have...a 3000gt SL? or 3000gt VR-4?

What i will concede is that modifying a BMW...any BMW costs a little bit more money than your average pushrod ls1. BUt what i am saying is that modifying a turbo bmw will yeild better bang for buck than the NA counterpart. You even said it yourself...

Not being argued, it is well known why they want to do this. The increased amount of torque makes for an excellent commuter car, combined with an already good inline 6 makes for a great driving car. It loses none of its mid range or upper rpm performance, and gains a huge amount of torque at 1800rpms and up. A major win for performance with excellent efficiency.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

I got a 2004 330i, find me some software.... there is none, because they have already looked into it. I mean the factory added cams and exhuast and gained a whole 5hp over the standard 330, I think that says a lot right there. Dinan does not make a tune, and there is no "Shark" available for my model. Here is something to further illustrate my point car with the following mods: Modifications: Conforti Shark+CAI/SS Headers+High Flow Cats/Custom T304 pipe/Eisenmann Race muffler

Sorry but thats a lot of money and only a 5rwhp gain, it speaks volumes! No that is not mine.
E36 m3's see great gains from pretty simple bolt ons.

E36 325/28's see even greater gains from the same bolt ons.

Just because the e46 330i doesn't, doesn't mean all bmw's will react the same way. I understand that i can't speak the same by stating reciprocal, but its more than likely my way than yours.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:59 AM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JKim
I ask you...Which would you rather have for 600hp? a NA supra or a ttsupra?
Same concept...which would you rather have for 600hp? a 330 or 335tt?
that is not what i was implying, if you are going to add a new set of turbos a stand alone unit then why pay the extra cash for the 335.

The internals were implied. This just will not be be a standard 3.0l with two turbos slapped on. It was already stated that this was going to be a totally new direction for BMW, and they wouldn't blotch it by simplying bolting on two turbos without the aid of stronger components to handle extra power.
The internals are the same, all the new BMW engines are forged, that is why you can slap on a S/C without rebuilding an engine in process. The only change that I am aware of is the block, they did change the block material.

Nobody in their right mind would just add some sort of boost control and turn it up without adding the appropriate fuel/timing adjustments. Especially not aftermarket...so saying that this will be STOCK ecu is moot. But even if it was stock ecu, software upgrades would undoubtly interrupt the stock ecu's ablity to adopt for the mods.
That was my point from the begining you are not going to make huge gains while using the ECU, and even if you got an aftermarket tune it is not going to go very far. That is why you would need a stand alone.

FI changes engineering from almost EVERY perspective...ESPECIALLY ecu tune for postive pressure. Your point by using the 3.0l NA as a comparision becomes also moot due to this fact.

Yet again...i ask you. For 600hp which would you rather have...a 3000gt SL? or 3000gt VR-4?

What i will concede is that modifying a BMW...any BMW costs a little bit more money than your average pushrod ls1. BUt what i am saying is that modifying a turbo bmw will yeild better bang for buck than the NA counterpart. You even said it yourself...
I never said you would not get gains, I said do not expect huge ones. People act like "OMGZ!!!!!! IT WILL BE LIKE THE SUPRA!!!!!!!!!" It will not be. Will it be a great car to drive, sure the hell will be. If I have to choose between the new 330i performance package and the new 335i, I will probably choose the 335i as long as it comes with a sport or performance package. But I will not be purchasing it because I think I can slap on a larger downpipe, tune, and up the boost and expect 100rwhp gains, that will be just disappointment. That was all I was saying.

Last edited by BigBake; 05-24-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:09 AM
OG Alumni

Originally Posted by JKim
E36 m3's see great gains from pretty simple bolt ons.

E36 325/28's see even greater gains from the same bolt ons.

Just because the e46 330i doesn't, doesn't mean all bmw's will react the same way. I understand that i can't speak the same by stating reciprocal, but its more than likely my way than yours.
You are absolutely correct, but the technology has changed between those engines and the current ones. The new engines are just pushing their limits, I mean look at the E46 M3 guys, they gain absolutely nothing unless they go FI, anything else just increases noise, and takes money out of their wallets. The only mods worth while for them are in appearance.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 AM
Registered Member

1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM

335 I do not see the decision at all... But that is me.