Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Automotive hood bras: do they work?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Automotive hood bras: do they work?

Originally Posted by phyber
does the 3m clear type bra have a big line of definition between the paint and the tape?
Does it really matter from more than 10 feet away in direct sunlight while parked?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
goggles do nothing

goosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud of

take that jank off and join the nira circuit

like 4real

edit:
But yeah, wouldn't the paint fade everywhere but the bra area?
Years from now your car will have a tan line.
That's only sexy on Erika Eleniak on Baywatch from '89-'92.

Last edited by goosane; 02-22-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

think of taking a painting off the wall after 25 years or so
Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Clear bra. Then your car won't look completely retarded. The lip on the fabric bras should help deflect debris on the rest of the hood, but will also change the aerodynamics of the car slightly too.

I've always thought fabric bras were a stupid concept. You get them because you care about the appearance of your car or whatever, so you want to protect the paint. But, by installing the bra, you completely ruin the appearance of the car and can't see the paint underneath anyway. I'd much rather have slightly chipped paint than have a fabric (black vinyl) bra on the car. And holy shit, they trap road salt and sand like crazy. You'd just want to take it off in the winter because of that, which is the one time that damage from particles would be the worst anyway.

There really aren't any downsides to a film bra (clearbra, etc) except for the cost.
Very good points here if you are considering using it for a daily driver. I used to drive my show car to IASCA competitions and would use a bra for the entire front end. I always followed the same rules with using a car cover...made sure the bra was clean inside and out and made sure the car was clean before using it. The bra only went on immediately before leaving for the trip and came off (and was cleaned) as soon as we arrived. While this meant that I had to do some detail work when I got to the event, I did not have to worry about cleaning bug guts or finding new paint chips. I hated the look of it, but using it saved a huge amount of time.