Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Autoblog first drive: Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport

Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 AM
da dragva kokopelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz
Thumbs up Re: Autoblog first drive: Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport

sleep. c ya tomorrow.

and i appreciate the conversation....

Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Registered member

User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020
Default Re: Autoblog first drive: Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport

Originally Posted by nagger
sleep. c ya tomorrow.

and i appreciate the conversation....

Originally Posted by nagger
from what i have seen, for example:

my old supercharger honda, did not build any boost under normal driving conditions unless rev'd higher than normal (3500 rpm)

and a good friend of mine owns a 03 cobra it does not see any higher compression in the cylinders (i.e boost) until it is rev'd higher than normal driving conditions. ( i rode with him the first time and asked him if the boost gauge worked...... he replied yes, and showed me it took some kind of acceleration to build boost)

if anything supercharged motors are more stessed just from having belt driven options...... not the boost it could potentially never see.....
Sure, but riding around in a CCX, driving at 2500 rpm or less totally defeats the purpose of buying the car. Yeah, it might make it farther than normal, but really you're kind of stretching it here.

The Bug can be beat on and still last, and it has usable (read: HUGE) amounts of torque from something like 2200 RPM all the way up to 5500...so you really don't need to beat the piss out of the engine to be fast as shit.

Same can't be said about the CCX...and let's face it, owners of both cars WILL be driving the cars hard unless they sit in collections to never be driven again.

On the RPM note...the CCX is also more highly stressed due to its higher bore and stroke in relation to RPM. It's got a significantly bigger bore and stroke than the Veyron does, and yet it redlines at 7600+ RPM.

The Bugatti hits the red at 6500. That 1100 RPM makes a HUGE difference in longevity.

Any car making 170+hp per liter, like the CCX is, really isn't going to be lasting all that long. Granted, it is built to take the abuse, but physics has its limits. The Veyron's W16 engine, at 125hp/liter falls right in with turbocharged engines in commuter cars like the EVO and Audi S4, which do quite well in the higher mileage department.

Last edited by User 102020; 07-09-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:49 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

The argument that it's stupid to spend that kind of money on it when you can get a CCX for less is stupid.

For the people buying a Veyron, $2mil isn't much. They can afford the Veyron, and a fleet of CCXs if they want.

It's like buying a 700hp Mercedes luxury car (or SUV). Yes, it's completely pointless. But it's cool. And if you can afford to spend a couple million on something just because it's cool..... then why not do it?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:37 AM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

so when are you two getting a room? just wondering...
Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

But it still sucks. You cant say a downfall and then back it up with BUT ITS A SUPERCAR an make everything better. The mclaren has good visibility, and its a 17 year old SUPERCAR. I just really really really hate how the bugatti looks.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:03 AM
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

I don't feel like reading all the comments, but isn't VW loosing money making these things? I know there's a 2.2 mill price tag on em, but I heard something like it takes a mill or two more to actually produce one?

Personally I would love to drive it, but I'd never pay that much for any car. Can you imagine trying to park this at Foodlion?

"That truck is too close to the line *pull foward*, that Civic already has a dent in the door *pull forward*, **/facepalm** FUCKING SHOPPING CARTS?...screw it I don't need to eat."

Side note though, I guess when your rich enough to actually think about buying one...then really your just bored cuz you HAVE so much money and there's really not much else you can do with that much money right?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

LOL @ rich people buying their own groceries.
LOL @ comparing a stock Veyron to highly modded vehicles.
LOL @ nutriding when most people here are merely giving respect where it's due. Interestingly enough, the letters CCX comes out of your mouth enough that calling others nutriders is a bit hypocritical.

you mad nagbro?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Registered member

User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020

Originally Posted by ShawnD
But it still sucks. You cant say a downfall and then back it up with BUT ITS A SUPERCAR an make everything better. The mclaren has good visibility, and its a 17 year old SUPERCAR. I just really really really hate how the bugatti looks.
I didn't say its visibility was a downfall. I said it was agreed upon as not being at all bad by many who have actually driven the car. I did say it wasn't going to have the visibility of a Ford Focus...just as a McLaren F1 won't either. A midengine supercar isn't going to have remotely good rearview visibility without some kind of help, something the Veyron takes care of with a camera setup, like a good many modern supercars do. The rest of the views out side and front seem perfectly normal to me .

Looks are debatable. I don't understand how anyone could possibly say the car sucks. It does what it was built to do AMAZINGLY well, and it's not so ridiculous that you simply can't use it on public roads comfortably, unlike many other cars in the genre. That ISN'T debatable, it's the troof.

I don't see how that sucks.

Last edited by User 102020; 07-09-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

I think they all have cameras now a days But seriously if I had 2 million burning a hole in my pocket the F1, S7, Ferrari's would come first ahead of the Bugatti.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Originally Posted by ShawnD
I think they all have cameras now a days But seriously if I had 2million burning a hole in my pocket the F1, S7, Ferrari's would come first ahead of the Bugatti.
People that buy the Veyron don't just have 2M burning their pockets, they have way more than that. They also probably already have an F1 and/or S7 and they want something even more satisfying.