Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Auto shift kit?

Old 04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Taking the shot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts
Default Auto shift kit?

Was lookin round on the net and i notice that most muscle cars that have been hot roded or restored have shift kits in them. What im wondering is how exactly does a shift kit work? Are there diffrent types? Is it like on a regular automatic transmission were you have the ability to shift from first, second, and then to drive?(i know that fucks up the transmassion) So drop some knowledge.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:29 PM
20psi>engine

72NOVA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auto shift kit?

It changes the pressures and passeges in the valve body so the tranny shifts harder. And shifting an auto tranny yourself wont mess it up, it does that anyway.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 72NOVA
It changes the pressures and passeges in the valve body so the tranny shifts harder. And shifting an auto tranny yourself wont mess it up, it does that anyway.

so you shift it just like a regular auto? 1st,2nd,overdrive?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:32 PM
20psi>engine

Yeah, and mines 1,2,3 no overdrive here.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Taking the shot

k last question, can you downshift like in a manual?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:38 PM
20psi>engine

yes
Old 04-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I drive real slow

subaruboy has disabled reputation

my monte is 3 spd auto with an overdrive (4th gear)... i never put it in overdrive when im driving around the city, or anywhere 45mph or less... I look at it this way... if it's in O/D at low speeds it wears the tranny out faster... if not, it wears the engine out faster. an engine is cheaper than a tranny... SO....

but, yeh, when i drive hard, i shift it like it's a stick... no harm done... and if i have to slow down fast... i down shift... again, no harm done
Old 04-22-2004, 04:18 AM
BRB, shark week.

Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible

Originally Posted by subaruboy
my monte is 3 spd auto with an overdrive (4th gear)... i never put it in overdrive when im driving around the city, or anywhere 45mph or less... I look at it this way... if it's in O/D at low speeds it wears the tranny out faster... if not, it wears the engine out faster. an engine is cheaper than a tranny... SO....

but, yeh, when i drive hard, i shift it like it's a stick... no harm done... and if i have to slow down fast... i down shift... again, no harm done
Holy shit, that's pretty cool! That makes automatic somewhat appealing to drive.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:34 AM
Biding time

montman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these parts

There are "shift kits" which you can buy to modify your current valvebody like lane said and there are bolt on replacement VB's as well.
I know a few stangers that are running fully manual valvebodys on thier daily drivers.
Which means you manually shift 1-2-3 and have a button for O/D.
As stated, the OD band is generally the weakest point in the tranny and if you can help it, you dont really want to come in and out of OD at WOT and should leave it off around town.

Street strip VB is another option, fully manual when you want it, but you can leave it in D as well.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:44 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

Originally Posted by montman
There are "shift kits" which you can buy to modify your current valvebody like lane said and there are bolt on replacement VB's as well.
oh god! the balls (bearings) of death!!! don't attempt this at home!

Quick Reply: Auto shift kit?