Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Anyone want to drop some advice for a single cam build?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz Madhatchz
Default Re: Anyone want to drop some advice for a single cam build?

Id go single cam if i enjoyed getting my shit pushed in by minivans.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

Would you say dear sir.......that your quarry.....was.................................... .....of a ...............................TECHNICAL nature?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Registered member

REXsi90 has disabled reputation

I'm going to get blasted for this, but I'm wearing my heatshield.

I did a single cam build. Spent more money than I should have. Tuned it to 145 hp. However, I do get 40 miles to the gallon highway, and I do not think it is that street unfriendly. My wife would say otherwise.

Honestly, there's a couple of things you could do that might save you money and show more power... Jspec is in Richmond and they have all sorts of nice d-series motors (if you want to keep a D) that could show similar gains, maybe even for less money. If you are not as mechanically inclined (ie you'd be paying someone to assemble the motor) a swap may be a better idea. Swapping a motor is a good enough start for someone who is getting their hands dirty for the first time.

If you have the money a B-series would be a good start. My single cam build might (I'm wearing my heat shield) be able to take a stock b16. All that time and money and not reliable against a stock b16.

*Sigh* If you're really dead set on the d-series build...

What is your original motor? Are you D16/D15/vtec/non-vtec? if you're non-vtec you could start with a mini-me swap and add some compression and the ever famous vtec. Single cam vtec is not that great though, even with all of the work I've done on mine.

Pistons: A cheap way to go is oem pistons from another motor. For NA setups you can use PG6s or p29s
Cam: I put a stage 2 in mine. Most reputable cams I looked at ran between 200-300 dollars.
Springs: If you plan on revving the shit out of it, aftermarket springs/retainers are advisable. I did Crower.
Rods: Unless you plan on hitting 200 hp you can use the stock d-series rods. They will be fine. Do your research though. I used mine.
Bearings: I used ACL bearings. Honda makes bearings as well, I dunno the price though. You can go with the oem headgasket for a setup like this.
Water Pump: You should replace it if you're there and it has a good amount of usage. I like to use OEM Honda water pump
Timing Belt: If you swap heads, rule of thumb is to use the timing belt that corresponds with the cylinder head.
Intake Manifolds: d16z6 oem manifold is the better one to use (there is some talk about the y8, but I have not seen anything actually proving it is better). I put a skunk2 on mine. If you have an EF, you're going to need to notch the firewall though.
Header: Unless you plan on forking out money, any header will do. Do not expect big gains from this though.

These are abbreviated ideas that just graze the tip of a lot of information out there. Check out d-series.org or onecamonly.com. In the end though, your time and money will yield a better gain if you invest them in swapping something better.

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by gvceaser
so i am looking to build a single cam either a y8 or z6 just want something quick and reliable enough well atleast for a year. i was thinking doing some simple stuff i.e.

1) High Comp pistons stock bore
2) Rods
3) OEM Valves
3) i dont know what the cheapest camshaft i could get would be
4) OEM water pump timing belt kit
5) Head Gasket Rings Rod Bearings
6) OEM Valve springs

any brand price or extra part advice will be very appreciated
want a half decent dingle cam?

bisimoto

thats it. he is the master of single cam honda engines. and ignorant porsches/mustangs/rotaries/physics
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed

If you build a motor go the next size up for pistons and get a bore and hone to match.

Absolutley dumb not to get the block rehoned etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Registered member

REXsi90 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by PootieTang
want a half decent dingle cam?

bisimoto

thats it. he is the master of single cam honda engines. and ignorant porsches/mustangs/rotaries/physics
Correct here you are. Some people are very unhappy with him right now, but I can say that both my cam and header came from him in the condition I expected from Bisimoto. A good company to deal with and excellent customer service.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM
AWD4G63

screamneagle has disabled reputation

Bisi has alot of knowledge on the single cam, but honestly you might as well go boosted with it, my friend has a built 12.5 to 1 sohc with lsd and a 4.9 final drive and its pretty nasty, but for the money he has in it you can spend half as much and go boosted. Just take a look at bisi or speed factory, get you the vitara/eagle setup for under $500 and a decent turbo kit, zex cams make good power for the money and you will be sitting pretty.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Bisi made 238 WHP on a shitty N/A D15B2 and put a CRX in the 10's with it.... but yeah D -series aren't a capable platform for N/A setups

http://bisimoto.com/store/index.php?...Path=5_134_139
Ya but thats bisimoto lol. The everyday joe on a "when i can afford it" budget simply isn`t going make these kinda of numbers happen. And 238 just doesn`t seem to impress me :/ even if it`s in the 10`s (when used in a stripped down tin can of a crx)

What he honestly NEEDS to do is log off VaDriven and LOG ON to d-series.org. There is where he will find everything and anything he will ever need to know about his engine along with what will be best for him within his budget/goals.

Last edited by Hooch; 01-29-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

Originally Posted by Mr White
Ya but thats bisimoto lol. The everyday joe on a "when i can afford it" budget simply isn`t going make these kinda of numbers happen. And 238 just doesn`t seem to impress me :/ even if it`s in the 10`s (when used in a stripped down tin can of a crx)

What he honestly NEEDS to do is log off VaDriven and LOG ON to d-series.org. There is where he will find everything and anything he will ever need to know about his engine along with what will be best for him within his budget/goals.
d-series.org is entry level/stuff every d-head should know. If he want's some seriously technical posts and info he should probably check out www.onecamonly.com
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

Originally Posted by gvceaser

advice will be very appreciated
ok , dont do it

Quick Reply: Anyone want to drop some advice for a single cam build?