Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Any of you cheap bastards use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
stupidity, no limits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam
Default Re: Any of you cheap bastards use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

Any stories of component failure? Any stories of warped flywheels floating around?

To be clear I'm only considering using the flywheel, not the pressure plate or disc.
Not from my understanding, other than issues with Disc's fusing to the flywheel, but thats because they were using carbon kevlar disc with this chromoly fly instead of a steel. i was just giving you other instances that they are good deals.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74
Default Re: Any of you cheap bastards use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

Are they SFI approved? I would be more worried about them coming apart at prolonged high RPM than warpage from heat.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by JDM74
Are they SFI approved? I would be more worried about them coming apart at prolonged high RPM than warpage from heat.
Says, "Meets or exceeds SFI 1.1 specification" and "All F1 Racing Chromoly flywheels have passed engineering tests to 12,000 rpm".

The engine will have a 6500 rpm redline and be shifted around 6200. Not a circle track motor that lives at max rpm continuously.

For the record I'm not cheap... I buy the right stuff when the right stuff is needed. I.e. I put an ATI superdamper on ever LSX I track. However, no need to waste money. I use fresh LS2 chains vs. $300 "C5-R" chains or double-roller stuff as it's just not needed. I got this thing for free along with a somewhat beat up Spec IV assembly. No need to waste it if it can do the job.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Get the balance checked on it if you're even thinking about using it.. I don't think I would have any worries if it was a daily driver, but it's going to have a lot more RPM/power/shifts than a daily driver. The engineer in me says that if it's 1/3 the price of what everything else is, there is probably a really good reason why.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The engineer in me says that if it's 1/3 the price of what everything else is, there is probably a really good reason why.
Because it's made in China paying children? I would never put a clutch in a car w/o verifying balance. Most "we tripple verify super zero-balance" clutches end up being out of balance some.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Says, "Meets or exceeds SFI 1.1 specification" and "All F1 Racing Chromoly flywheels have passed engineering tests to 12,000 rpm".

The engine will have a 6500 rpm redline and be shifted around 6200. Not a circle track motor that lives at max rpm continuously.

For the record I'm not cheap... I buy the right stuff when the right stuff is needed. I.e. I put an ATI superdamper on ever LSX I track. However, no need to waste money. I use fresh LS2 chains vs. $300 "C5-R" chains or double-roller stuff as it's just not needed. I got this thing for free along with a somewhat beat up Spec IV assembly. No need to waste it if it can do the job.
I understand, but I don't think anybody knows if it will do the job based on the responses here, that's the thing. You need to weigh the consequences of a flywheel failure at high RPM and the fact that you don't know the reliability of this part.

What do the guys over on LS1tech say about this brand in a road race application?

Everybody here is saying don't use it because a failure would be very expensive and you haven't skimped any where else in this build. The fact that you are asking the question in the first place tells me you have your doubts about it's reliability.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Fanboi

Just trying to dig up some research to make a better informed decision. Not much talk of it over on tech. A few have asked about it and most, who have no experience with one, automatically respond that it's cheap junk and don't use it.

Not everything made in China on the cheap is bad. Some of the latest XS Power headers for C5 Corvettes are very very nice for 1/2 the price of the normal "go-to" brands like LGM, ARH, or Kooks.

If I don't use this I'll get a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Cheapest I can find that is $330 on eBay. I had one on my old Z06 of years w/o issue, but if you search for feedback on them you get all kinds of bullshit about warping, coming apart, being undrivable on the street, and horrible for drag racing. It's all false and all just people continually repeating what they read one time on the net.

Hence the whole point of this post... trying to find people who've actually used the product or know someone who has
Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

The quicktime bell housing will hold the pieces inside if it eats itself. They are made to contain a lot more than your application can throw at it. At some point, any clutch package could give way under the use/ abuse of racing. 6200-6500 isn't really that high, if you were in the 8000+ range, you would be more concerned with SFI ratings and so would the safety techs at the track.

I have those XS power headers on my car, they are worth every penny I saved by wondering away from the LG, Borla, American Racing "snobs" opinions. Plus I won half the cost of them back from that guys contest on the vette forum.

Edit: The reality is, they very well made be made by the same company that wears a brand name. Like brake rotors....may want to look at where/ who manufactures them. You might find the foundry casts/ produces/ manufactures fly wheels for companies that have a household name.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 09-05-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Fanboi

Any idea how I can find how makes the F1 racing stuff? I know all brake rotors are basically made at a handful of foundries.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

why dont you just browse the corvette forums till you find a really good deal on something legit brian? Did you see the clutch I put up on facebook the other day? its a monster stage 4 with a billet flywheel, I got it for $300, and its in perfect shape.

Unless you are trying to go all new on this

Quick Reply: Any of you cheap bastards use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?