Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

airbag laws

Old 09-24-2003, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stirpicult is on a distinguished road
Default airbag laws

do you have to keep your airbags in your car in virginia? i dont like having them, and i have an idea i want to try for the passenger side, but i wont be able to if the airbag is there.
let me know.
thanks,
ben
Old 09-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

I know for a fact that you won't pass state inspection if the SRS light is on. And I am pretty sure that it is illegal to remove the factory air bags unless given permission by the proper authority.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:26 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

From what I understand, you can only disable the passenger side bag, and you still won't pass inspection if the SRS light is on. Plus, you can't sell the car with the passenger bag disabled either, so you'll have to reinstall it. Apparently shops are able to disable the bags but they usually won't because of fear of liability lawsuits. I would love to know the full story if you find out though, please post any info here for everyone to see..
Old 09-24-2003, 04:11 PM
It has 4 Doors...

Whtehnda93DXSdn is an unknown quantity at this point

I found this for you looking through the laws on the Va State Police Website. Hope it might help....

§ 46.2-1088.3. Air bags; installation of other object in lieu of air bag prohibited; notice of installation of previously installed air bag required; penalty.

Any person who, without the knowledge of the vehicle's owner or the person requesting the installation, reinstallation, or replacement of a motor vehicle air bag, installs or reinstalls any air bag or other component of the vehicle's inflatable restraint system knowing that the air bag installation is not in accordance with federal safety regulations applicable to that specific line-make, model, and model year vehicle is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Any person who, without the knowledge of the vehicle's owner or the person requesting the installation, reinstallation, or replacement of a motor vehicle air bag, installs, reinstalls, or replaces a motor vehicle air bag or other component of the vehicle's inflatable restraint system with an air bag or other component of a vehicle's inflatable restraint system knowing that the air bag was previously installed in another motor vehicle is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

WOW
Old 09-24-2003, 05:59 PM

stirpicult is on a distinguished road

i saw that too, but it seems to deal with replacing the bag with a used one or a fake one. i dont plan on replacing it, period. just make it look like ones there. also, i dont plan on selling the car, so thats not a problem. the srs light on wont pass inspection, but mines gone. i think im going to just get another airbag cover and then return it to stock once a year.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:02 PM
It has 4 Doors...

Whtehnda93DXSdn is an unknown quantity at this point

Air bags; installation of other object in lieu of air bag prohibited that first line though addresses replacing the bag though. But good luck on going that route. Hope it all works out fine for you....
Old 09-25-2003, 04:20 AM
ur hot now go away

1TZ JENN has disabled reputation

i had a friend that took out his passenger airbag and replaced it with a ps2. he was pulled for something else, cop saw what he had done. He had to be towed home
Old 09-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on what car and year you may just be able to pull the fuse. But maybe i am confused on what you are aking
Old 09-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince

i peed on a frog once.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sooo now I guess I need to know what the federal safety regs are for this to all make sense I guess..