Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Air Compressor?

Old 03-14-2004, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sickinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Compressor?

If you were going to get an affordable air compressor, what would you get in regard to hp and tools? I am looking into a compressor because when working on a car, I hear it i a bit easier. I cam across the Wal-Mart special last night, the 2 horsepower with a ten gallon tank, and it seemed to be a real good price. I am just nervous that at 2 horse power, it won't make much of a difference.

R/
DS
Old 03-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion
Default Re: Air Compressor?

What you should do first is figure out what tools you plan on getting/using in the long run.

Since different tools have different requirements, this will help you determine if the compressor you're looking at is strong enough to run all of the tools you'll have.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Good Ship Bear

sil80er is an unknown quantity at this point

that compressor is pretty small. if you use an impact or a pneumatic sander the compressor will keep kicking on due to the low storage tank. look for something bigger.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Means Slow

MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of

dont even buy that compressor its to small..it will prolly run a nice air ratchet but not an imact gun. My dad got one of those and i tried using it with my impact...IT barely ran it! i was like daymn go save some money and get a bigger compressor.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:39 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

I've had this one for a while. Works pretty good, the tools it comes with are basically worthless though. You'll definetely want to get a better impact wrench with that. The only thing I've reguarly used with that kit is the teflon tape
Old 03-16-2004, 08:04 AM
I wupped Batmans ass

euro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eng
I've had this one for a while. Works pretty good, the tools it comes with are basically worthless though. You'll definetely want to get a better impact wrench with that. The only thing I've reguarly used with that kit is the teflon tape

I have that exact one (without the extra tool crap) and it works great for most applications! The only thing I wouldn't recommend with this compressor is using a HVLP spray paint gun with it. But it handles impact guns, air hammers, air chucks, and any other tool just fine. The compressor generally runs ~$279. I got my impact gun (IR 232C) from Northern Tools for ~$99. I also picked up my hoses and other oddball tools from Northern Tools for a decent price (ie. Air hammer was $14)!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:11 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i have a craftsman 26 callon 5.5 hp compressor with 150psi maximum output and it works great for me, but its not good for die grinders and air sanders, but impacts and air ratchets and hammers work great.....i have husky impact tools and they get the job done.......
Old 03-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

audiophile24 has disabled reputation

i picked up a porter cable air compressor for like 400.00 and it came with campbell hausfield tools. only thing i had to get was hose and fittings. great deal if you ask me it only keeps kicking on when i try to run an angle grinder. every thing else it runs fine. havent tried any paint or primer guns on it yet but hey im no painter any how.........
Old 03-16-2004, 08:36 AM
I wupped Batmans ass

euro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to all

Originally Posted by audiophile24
i picked up a porter cable air compressor for like 400.00 and it came with campbell hausfield tools. only thing i had to get was hose and fittings. great deal if you ask me it only keeps kicking on when i try to run an angle grinder. every thing else it runs fine. havent tried any paint or primer guns on it yet but hey im no painter any how.........

What are the specs?
hp?
gallons?
max psi?
scfm's @ 40psi?
scfm's @ 90psi?