Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

4g63 the best 4 cylinder motor ever made?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Doesn't give a fuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr
Default Re: 4g63 the best 4 cylinder motor ever made?

The Nisbro has spoken.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Originally Posted by TwistnBrn..Rubr
The Nisbro has spoken.
lol sig'd and will +raep when i can.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

GSXTasy005 has disabled reputation

I believe that what most of you are missing, is that the 4g63 leads the world in both the "most power" (AMS) and the "fastest 4-cylinder" (Brent Rau, who ran 6.94 seconds in the 1/4 mile, look it up... it's on youtube) titles. also, it's the cheapest engine to build/mod, and it has just as large of a following as those honda ricers, that think they're fast with thier shitty v-tec (v-tec sucks guys, you'll NEVER beat a turbo car that has the same amount of money invested) "all of the lag, none of the boost. Like waiting for REALLY bad sex." so stop comparing honda, their shitty technology and lack of ability to PROPERLY turbocharge a car; to anything else.

the UK also got a SPECIAL version of the 4g63, see Here for source. which has the highest specific output of ANY production engine (beating out the porche, ferrari, and lamourghini)

I've seen alot of posts about crankwalk being a major problem. this is not the case if the builder knows what they're doing. there's a thrust bearing fix, an oil squirter fix, and a main bearing cap fix. when used in conjunction, these fixes have been shown to ELIMINATE crankwalk.

Look, the long and short of it is... I've seen honda guys put 10K into their engines, and only come out with 700-750 FWHP, and quarter mile times of around 11-12 I've seen mitsubishi guys put 6K into their engines and come out with ~1000 AWHP (keep in mind that AWHP is harder to obtain too) and <10 sec quarter mile times.

in the end, they're cheaper to build, can handle more power and if built correctly, are not any less reliable than a BMW engine.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Originally Posted by GSXTasy005
I believe that what most of you are missing, is that the 4g63 leads the world in both the "most power" (AMS) and the "fastest 4-cylinder" (Brent Rau, who ran 6.94 seconds in the 1/4 mile, look it up... it's on youtube) titles. also, it's the cheapest engine to build/mod, and it has just as large of a following as those honda ricers, that think they're fast with thier shitty v-tec (v-tec sucks guys, you'll NEVER beat a turbo car that has the same amount of money invested) "all of the lag, none of the boost. Like waiting for REALLY bad sex." so stop comparing honda, their shitty technology and lack of ability to PROPERLY turbocharge a car; to anything else.

the UK also got a SPECIAL version of the 4g63, see Here for source. which has the highest specific output of ANY production engine (beating out the porche, ferrari, and lamourghini)

I've seen alot of posts about crankwalk being a major problem. this is not the case if the builder knows what they're doing. there's a thrust bearing fix, an oil squirter fix, and a main bearing cap fix. when used in conjunction, these fixes have been shown to ELIMINATE crankwalk.

Look, the long and short of it is... I've seen honda guys put 10K into their engines, and only come out with 700-750 FWHP, and quarter mile times of around 11-12 I've seen mitsubishi guys put 6K into their engines and come out with ~1000 AWHP (keep in mind that AWHP is harder to obtain too) and <10 sec quarter mile times.

in the end, they're cheaper to build, can handle more power and if built correctly, are not any less reliable than a BMW engine.
thanks for letting us know what we already knew.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Specific output from a turbo car is a pretty meaningless spec. It's really only a measure of what size turbo a manufacturer is willing to put on a production car. Wow, look how much power our engine makes per liter when we shove a bunch of air into it with a turbo! Turbo lag and low end power? Who cares, it has 400HP...that's the spec that sells cars!

The engine design can be absolute shit and have horrible volumetric efficiency, but shove more air in there and magically it has a great specific output. So I'm not really sure why anyone would actually use that spec.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

THIS THREAD SHALL NEVER DIE
Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Why isnt the fucking thread closed yet?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Originally Posted by Muncher
Why isnt the fucking thread closed yet?
srsly....close this shit up so we can all stop hearing this DSM bullshit that all these dick riders keep spewing out.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong

I'm into DSM's, but this thread is beating a dead horse. Everyone has been saying the same damn thing for 22 pages. There is no SINGLE best 4cyl motor just like there isn't a best v6 or v8 or v12. It's all opinion nothing any of us say will make it truth.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Originally Posted by cherrod8
I'm into DSM's, but this thread is beating a dead horse. Everyone has been saying the same damn thing for 22 pages. There is no SINGLE best 4cyl motor just like there isn't a best v6 or v8 or v12. It's all opinion nothing any of us say will make it truth.
-rep

Quick Reply: 4g63 the best 4 cylinder motor ever made?