Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

1.8T or VR-6

Old 07-20-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.8T3t04e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1.8T or VR-6

yeah my stock dyno on my 180hp 1.8t was 167whp and 171ftlbs
Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by Flite
Your 1.8t put down 180hp and 190 ft/lb stock??? That sounds a little steep unless you got some kind of factory freak. Thats the same numbers that VW lists for the stock crankshaft hp isn't it. Having driven both of them the VR6 definantly felt faster stock for stock. Now granted if your goals are 200ish whp then yes the 1.8t will get there cheaper than the VR6 but thats not where my goals are. to put down over 300 is going to cost a pretty penny with either engine. Also, like I said my intentions were to buy a 1.8t but they didn't have one for sale in Hawaii. I got my VR6 for within a few hundred dollars of the price of a 1.8t. Don't think that I'm knocking the 1.8 at all ( I have one in my Audi A4) it's a great motor. I just think that it's going to cost the same to do what I want out of either car and the VR6 is a little funner to drive stock for stock than the 1.8t would be. Again, like I said, it really depends on what your goals are for the car. The 1.8t is easy to make 200 whp out of and that alone will make a seriously fun car. The VR6 isn't as easy to make that hp out of. But if your goals are higher than that and your plans include an aftermarket turbo kit for either engine....you might as well go VR6. In my opinion
yes sir, thats what I put down stock...(can't remember if I had the samco inlet at that point actually, but its only a 5hp mod MAX) I also ran a 14.87 with it stock (had rear seat out). I feel that my 1.8t is just as fast and fun to drive as any vr6 (both essentially stock, of course).

Also, I feel that the turbo upgrade for the 1.8t is much easier than putting a turbo kit on a VR6. you can do it for about $3k on a 1.8t.

Both are great engines anyways.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 PM
hey soldier boy, soldier boy

Kastro is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally think the 1.8T is the better car when it comes to modding than the VR6. I would post why, but that has been said many times in this thread already.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:19 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Well then you should be ultra happy because you really got some kind of factory freak. 180hp stock is awesome. I believe it's possible though I guess, My S2000 consistantly made 10-15 more rwhp than other S2000s stock for stock.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Originally Posted by Flite
Well then you should be ultra happy because you really got some kind of factory freak. 180hp stock is awesome. I believe it's possible though I guess, My S2000 consistantly made 10-15 more rwhp than other S2000s stock for stock.
I sometimes wonder if it has anything to do with the engines break in, or the engines milage at time of dyno. I think I dynoed it at about 12-15k miles. Are you headed back this way anytime in the future?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:55 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by greygti
I sometimes wonder if it has anything to do with the engines break in, or the engines milage at time of dyno. I think I dynoed it at about 12-15k miles. Are you headed back this way anytime in the future?
Probaly about 4 years till I get back. If I still have the GTI by then it should be a pretty mean ride.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:53 AM

1.8T3t04e is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I feel that the turbo upgrade for the 1.8t is much easier than putting a turbo kit on a VR6. you can do it for about $3k on a 1.8t.

i disagree...
i would much rather turbo a VR... the manifold is way easier to bolt up lol
i mean the hardest part is the oil return... the rest is all bolt on and some hacking of the bumper to fit the fmic.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Originally Posted by 1.8T3t04e
i disagree...
i would much rather turbo a VR... the manifold is way easier to bolt up lol
i mean the hardest part is the oil return... the rest is all bolt on and some hacking of the bumper to fit the fmic.
Also, I hate FMUs and I don't think Chris is talking about doing a stand-alone on his new GTI....

The manifold being hard to bolt up is something that would just require the right tool imo. You've done it enough steve, why haven't you came up with the tool design man
Old 07-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Synthol Junkie

BlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these partsBlackZX3 is infamous around these parts

yes sir, thats what I put down stock...(can't remember if I had the samco inlet at that point actually, but its only a 5hp mod MAX) I also ran a 14.87 with it stock (had rear seat out). I feel that my 1.8t is just as fast and fun to drive as any vr6 (both essentially stock, of course).

I believe the Jetta 1.8T in our club put down 180whp with just an intake too, I was very impressed considering the stock crank hp #'s were identical.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 AM

kayotic16 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LoWPRoFiLE
I'm not a big fan of VWs but a lot of people got the Golf's on here, mostly GTIs. So I was wondering which is better, the 1.8T motor or the VR6, and I am talking brand new engines here, not the older lower-output versions. This new R-32 has a medium sized V6 with a VR6 that puts out a decent amount of power for it's size, but the 1.8T can be tuned better.

What's better? All aspects

The 1.8T is gonna be quicker off the line cause its turbo but in the end the VR6 is faster topspeed but it just depends what ur doing with it