Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

1.8T or VR-6

Old 07-05-2004, 06:07 PM
<3FreshieFresh<3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1.8T or VR-6

the VR6 exhaust note is pure sex, but you apparently haven't heard the GHL turbo back exhaust on a 20v 1.8T. check out the video in the eye candy forum that steve posted up. shanes car sounds sick with the GHL exhaust! sounds very similar to that of an M3, Porsche, or VR6. They all have that throaty growl....
Old 07-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

1.8T is already turbo'd, and having the car already turbo'd takes away a huge part of the headache. i say upgrade your fuel, turbo, intercooler etc...itd be my choice.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:27 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I just bought a GTi VR6, and I also have a A4 1.8t.....The VR6 is simply fun as hell to drive
Old 07-16-2004, 08:57 AM
McLovin

BLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by LoWPRoFiLE
I'm not a big fan of VWs but a lot of people got the Golf's on here, mostly GTIs. So I was wondering which is better, the 1.8T motor or the VR6, and I am talking brand new engines here, not the older lower-output versions. This new R-32 has a medium sized V6 with a VR6 that puts out a decent amount of power for it's size, but the 1.8T can be tuned better.

What's better? All aspects
ok first off a vr6 motor is not a v6 . ok second... i love my vr6 and wouldn't trade it for alot of cars on the road right now. i have the 172hp 12v cause mine is a 97 but i wish i could get my hands on a 200hp 24v vr6 that came in the 2002's and up. then i would turbo that bitch. any car will cost you alot of money to mod...just around here modding a vw is about being different too. modding a vr6 may be expensive but its definitly worth it in the end. let me know if you wanna ride
Old 07-16-2004, 08:59 AM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt

^^you dont have a vr6 bitch, you got a VR6T beast ride...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Motor Trend Mechanic

VT Prix GT 2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kinda OT but I'd have sex with an R32.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Iceman1 has disabled reputation

if your looking to mod it for a lot of power...id pick a car thats turbo'd from the factory...becasue then youd have a motor with a FI ready compression ratio...an all motor factory setup will have high compression...atleast relative to the turbo motor...unless of course your plannin on a full rebuild...but thats gonna be expensive...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:57 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I was trying to decide between a VR6 and a 1.8t for a while and I had actually decided on buying the 1.8t. After I did some research and figured out what my goals were for the car my mind started to change a little though. My goals are around 300whp daily driven on pump gas...without loosing a whole lot of driveability. Now, getting around 200 whp out of a 1.8t isn't that hard nor is it all that expensive, but if you want to get up around 300+ it's going to take a little effort and some money. Basically you'd have to do a whole turbo kit on it. Different turbo, manifold, etc etc. Doing this would cost you upwards of 4000 dollars. Thing is, getting 300whp out of a VR6 is going to take about the same effort and not a whole lot more money. Thing is with a VR6, you get a funner to drive car in the mean time. The 1.8t is no slouch but stock for stock the VR6 is WAY more fun to drive and the car itself is done a little nicer. It comes stock with nicer wheels and tires and all the fancy interior stuff that is optional on the 1.8t. Plus, you get the 6speed that you can't even option for on the 1.8t (20th anniversary not included). Bottom line, it really depends on what your goals for the car are and for me the VR6 just worked out to be the better choice.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Company Man

LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE

If I ever had to choose I'd probably go for the VR-6, I've never owned a turbo car, I don't really care for them that much. VR-6 sounds like it has more factory stuff put on that was intended for handling, and better features. I think the best thing out by VW is the S4, 340HP 4.4L V8, someone in my lot has a wagon s4 and wow, I would love to own that.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Banned

mainevent212 is an unknown quantity at this point

i've never been in a very fast N/A car...so i'd go w/ 1.8T

i say this not because i think N/A cars are slow...cuz i know they can be VERY fast...but i LOVE turbo cars...they're so much fun...the thing that i love most is the way they sound...a turbo w/ a nice BOV, freeflowing exhaust and a upgraded filter sounds so sweet

no i'm not a ricer but all of those things effect the way the turbo sounds...it makes me drool when i hear turbo's spool...mmm