Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

need someone to vouch for a local engine builder

Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM
braap braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: need someone to vouvh for a local engine builder

Originally Posted by The real Ryan
What kind of work are you looking into having done? Be specific. Honda motors are like legos, it's hard to find a shop these days that don't know what they are doing and most places will warranty their work. Be careful with the "one man shows" doing it on the side at their house. Some people really do know what they are talking about and then again most people THINK they know what the are talking about. The fucking honda community is full of idiots and everyone thinks they know everything. My best advice to you is learn it yourself. There is nothing you can't do to a honda motor aside from machine work, and any decent machinist and the local machine shop can take care of that part. No one is going to care as much about your motor than you do, so nothing ever runs better than when you teach yourself how to build it. There are plenty of good manuals out there with step by step instructions on how to do everything you need.

Unless you are a girly man in that case just take it to a legit performance shop so if it fucks up it will be covered.
You do realize there is a lot more to building a motor when it comes to aftermarket parts right?
Not taking anything from you Ryan. Honda does all the homework when it comes to bearings and rings and clearances. Anyone can do that.

OP. Stay away from dunkims or whatever. Go with Shawn Ramey @ Ramey Built or Shad Sawyer @ Accuracy. They've been building HONDA motors for a long time and know what works on setups and doesn't.

Machine shops should do just that, machine the parts.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Sw33tSi07 has disabled reputation

@Ryan, oh i have been doing a lot of reading, a lot of asking around. Guy i know has built one is willing to help me, and plenty of my buddies are willing to get dirty. I bought a manual from amazon that gives you step by step instructions with pics and everything on tear down and build. I really wana do it my self, i dont want money to be a problem, i wanna take my time and build it right. but i want to have a back up plan for when the time comes to get wrenching if dont feel right about it i have someone.

@Jarrod: i have never heard of those other guys and will certainly take a look into it. I have been emailing back and forth with the two companies im gonna be useing parts from, Crower and skunk2, so far things are lining up pretty good. I would be pretty stoked if i could build this thing my self im not gonna lie. Never built a motor before, but i have done a lot of racing and decent when it comes to cars.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Honestly, what are you power goals and intentions of use with the car?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM
It's Mr. Nasty Time

According2Me has disabled reputation

vouch. hes done alot of my cars and at least 30-40 other motors this year that i know of, good work good prices.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jarrod
You do realize there is a lot more to building a motor when it comes to aftermarket parts right?
Not taking anything from you Ryan. Honda does all the homework when it comes to bearings and rings and clearances. Anyone can do that.

OP. Stay away from dunkims or whatever. Go with Shawn Ramey @ Ramey Built or Shad Sawyer @ Accuracy. They've been building HONDA motors for a long time and know what works on setups and doesn't.

Machine shops should do just that, machine the parts.
I just assumed he's doing a typical honda build. I tried asking what his intentions were

If you are just doing the basics, I encourage you to learn how to do it yourself. As far as machine work, Dunkems has done fine for me in the past, but make sure you take ALL of the moving parts off the head before taking it to them. I guess they just aren't used to seeing many VTEC heads and I have had them lose a rocker arm pin before. My what a scary sound that made when it tried to engage vtec . I also let Apples Machine shop build a short block for me once, and it was done COMPLETELY wrong. Thrust washers installed wrong, file to fit piston rings were way off, and I'm pretty sure none of the bearings were plastigaged. That's where I started doing everything I could myself, haha. That was a long, long time ago and the guy that put it together has been gone for years so just letting you know my experience with Newport News area machine shops.

Last edited by The real Ryan; 05-04-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Also, I think we need to determine what "Ernie" OP is talking about lol. I know of a Ernie from the Hampton area that seems to know what he's talking about. However, Ramey and Shad will warranty their work I'm sure. This Ernie I know of, if it's the same one, will more than likely not. Not the impression I got from him..
Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 AM
Banned

godie has a little shameless behaviour in the past

ramey built 1000000% the way to go. he is doing my build right now
Old 05-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

Sw33tSi07 has disabled reputation

how do you get in touch with this ramey built place, does he have a contact number???

my intentions are to be a daily driver that can put out some power when needed. i might take it to the track and run it a few times. i am going to stay NA and go all motor, i dont want any turbo, supercharger or spray. I have heard a bunch of different hp readings i can get out of this thing but im not trying to push 300. just want more than the 170 i have right now with my b16
Old 05-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Banned

godie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: need someone to vouch for a local engine builder

sent u a pm bro.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: need someone to vouch for a local engine builder

if your building a honda motor...

Shad @ accuracy
or
Shawn @ ramey built

Shad has been around forever and has tuned and built about a million hondas, Made incredibly fast racecars and high hp motors. Rameys skills are pretty ridiculous and the motors and the hp hes made out of them and his custom designed fabricated stuff speak for themselves.

When it comes to hondas, if you cant do it yourself. or are afraid to jump into a motor, those are the only two choices in the 757 if you ask me.

accuracy-757 548 9227

rameybuilt - 757 689 0110

Quick Reply: need someone to vouch for a local engine builder