Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

ASVAB Scores

Old 06-09-2007, 05:12 AM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Re: ASVAB Scores

Originally Posted by 92_SR20
Most of it was related to what you learned in school, but a lot of the electrical questions weren't.

My scoring:

Mechanical Aptitude Score - Determined from General Science (GS), Mechanical Comprehension (MC), and Auto/Shop (AS). 091

Administrative Aptitude Score - Numerical Operations (NO), Coding Speed (CS), and Verbal Expression (VE). (Note: With the elimination of NO and CS from the ASVAB, a "dummy score" is now inserted there, so the Administrative Score is actually determined directly from the VE Score). 076

General Aptitude Score - Determined from Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) and and Verbal Expression (VE). 084

Electronics Aptitude Score - Determined from General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), and Electronics Information (EI). 071

Composite: 322 ; QT: 81

This is the USAF scale. Anyone know a Cryptologic Linguist? He told me I should also take a look at that rate if I was good with that type of thing.
yeah the mechanic portion wasn't either... i suppose i should have mentioned something about the trade ratings they're testing for as well. my bad. other than that, none of those numbers make sense to me. there are several different formats for scoring, but apparently you got an 81! that's pretty good, you should pretty much be able to pick your poison.

i do know several cryptologic linguists, they work hand-in-hand with what i do. although, not for the air force.

btw, advancement for navy cryptologic linguists is insane, according to the last cycle. 100% to e-5 and e-6. that means, you serve your time-in-rate, you take the test, you pass, you advance. put in perspective, advancement % for MOST other rates is in the teens, if they're lucky. something to think about. their sea/shore rotation is pretty generous and i don't hear them complaining too much about their jobs. plus you get to learn another language! just a warning though... if you have the aptitude to go arabic/chinese they're going to push for that. there will always be a well-paying job for you in the future, but you'll likely spend some time in-theater. fyi.

Originally Posted by UnityRacing
I was lied to. Straight up. Signed for IT, was in dep as an IT, 7 days before boot I was called right in the middle of thanksgiving dinner and told I should switch to ET because they work on computers more. I just wanted to eat (flew to chicago to be with my grand parents) so I said ok. Big mistake. Now im a janitor. I was also told that I would receive BAH since I was 25 and had a house. Guess what, NOPE. ET rate is so full, I will have a better chance of getting BAH as a 4yr E4 !

this type of shit happens all the time in the navy. a lot of it has to do with what command you go to as a junior sailor. if the command doesn't really have much of a mission, there are already tons of junior enlisted, and/or you have a chain of command who really doesn't give a fuck about quality of life for junior personnel, you will get screwed as a junior sailor. the thing is, that et may actually have been better for you than it. it sucks ass right now too- they just got lumped in with what were formally cto's (cryptologic technician (communications)), so their advancement and billet structure is all fucked up now. then again the same will happen again in 2010 when the ctm's (maintenance) get shoved in with et's. all part of the navy reorganization efforts.

all i can advise you is to suck it up, do your best as a junior sailor to make yourself advance, and know that eventually you most definitely will be 'doing your job'... and the bah thing happens to nearly every single, junior sailor. there are lots of gray areas on that so it's very easy for a recruiter to 'stretch the truth' on that. but i'd feel at least ok about the switch from it to et. training's much better, imo.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:02 AM
97gst 01gsr IMPORTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97gsT01gsR has disabled reputation
Default Re: ASVAB Scores

I think that the top score is a 99. so for all of you to get 90s you must be pretty damn smart? what are your actual rates? ;] i got a 73 sadly I fell asleep while taking the test but oh well IT woOt wOot! I am thinking of going CTN but I rather GTFO. I just got my orders canceled to leave THIS SHITHOLE VA. so if they try to fock me and keep me here and send me to somewhere like NCTAMS. definitely will GTFO! ;] sorry dislike VA beach area.

ha GO NAVY! it's for some and not for others. experience is what will make you or break you. there are a lot of people that stay in cause they have too and then fuck those that are coming in not remembering how it was when they were in that position. That's why I am getting my degree and getting the fock out after next term!

good luck to OP. let us know what rate you chose.