Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Speakers.....

Old 04-27-2005, 09:15 PM
It tilts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation
Default Speakers.....

Ok...iam trying to fix a mistake i did 2 years ago...i bought walmart stuff for my car....IE..Kendwood speakers etc etc...300 bucks worth..Now there all blown and ratty.....I need a good set of fronts *for both front doors* A set for the rear and a good sub setup...this is a crappy car..but iam a big person into music and i like it loud & hard......Now down to the point is Lightning Audio any good...and Are the "red" Sony's iam seeing everywere good...Mind you i just want a good clean hard sound...not wanting to spend a shitload on this eaither... If ya got wholesell audio links...LINK ME !!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:46 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Speakers.....

stay away from sony for the most part..

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ for your sub, pick one.
i have to go to class so i will post about coaxials later.. so many to chose from

(exams :\)
Old 04-28-2005, 03:51 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Stay FAR away from Lightning Audio, bro.... FAR away!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:51 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

To put it in perspective, you apparently bought Kenwood at Wal-Mart. I hate Kenwood, but Lightning Audio is more like a Happy's brand..
Old 04-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

Go eclipse or diamond on the speakers. If these are a little to expensive i would suggest infinity.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

fmstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

this guy is probably looking to buy coaxials, and I'd guess he doesn't want to spend more than $200 on all of his speakers (not including sub + amp obviously)

first, if you're new to car audio go ahead and educate yourself

Assuming you'll be buying components, I'd suggest you check out Pioneer, Alpine, Infinity, Polk, etc. Avoid Sony, Kenwood, Rockford Fosgate, Lightning Audio especially.

Don't bother with anything more than a 3-way speaker (4&5-way speakers are a waste). Also if you still have your stock CD player you'd be better off getting a new head unit now and better speakers later, rather than buying good speakers to use with your stock head unit.

For subs, someone posted a link to elemental designs, they are supposed to be good subs although i haven't had a chance to hear any in person because they are sold only online. Depending on your price range, for cheaper subs you should check out Alpine Rs, Kicker Comps, Infinity, MTX, etc. I'd HIGHLY suggest you check out the Image Dynamics brand and see what you think of their IDQ subs for this price range. You should be able to get a 12" sub for <$200. For more expensive subs that will sound clean as hell and still hit hard, then you can check out JL W6v2, Image Dynamics IDMax, Orion, Digital Designs, MTX 9500 (new model, haven't heard it but read good reviews), etc. These subs will run you $300-450 for a 12"

As for an amp, if you have a decent head unit its up to you whether or not to amp your coaxials, but I doubt you're going to want to spend the money. For a sub amp check out Memphis 500d, JL 250/1 and 500/1, Kicker 600.1, etc etc depends on what sub you get really.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

IF you could i would suggest waiting until discount audios car wars or whatever it is that usually happens towards the end of summer for your subs and amp. They are a JL dealer and usually of some excellent deals.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

ED subs are sweet, I have an Adire Audio Shiva, and if I could do it over I might try an ED.. I have Image Dynamics CTX6's coaxials, probably the best sounding coaxials I have ever heard.. I was gonna go for components but the imaging on the CTX's are damn close, and it was just easy hehe.. so I would vote yes to image dynamics as well...
Old 04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to get bitched at but if you're interested I have a set o Infinity Kappa 3way 6x9's, extremely nice/expensive speakers (I think original retail was somewhere around 200-250) that I am about to remove from my eclipse as I am redoing my audio system. In addition I have an Alpine MRV-F340 Amp for sale, it is 55w by 4 RMS at 4ohm, and it originally retailed for 400 bucks. I'm definately looking to get far below that, and since you're local this deal might be even nicer since there would be zero shipping. Just let me know if you're interested with a PM. The amp was swapped out 2 days ago and everything performs flawlessly, I'm just simply redoing everything.

Last edited by 16g-95gsx; 04-28-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:43 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

I have all pioneer...unit is getting pulled for a mp3 player i bought..i have a 250watt kenwood amp i got for 30 bucks..sold my 400 watt amp...