Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

S10 Swaps

Old 09-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whatdatruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default S10 Swaps

Yeah like I was saying Lingenfelter (sp) put together a 700 hp 427 Sonoma and a 1000 hp TT Echo-Tech. My major dilemma is whether or not to go with displacement or boost. I've seen some very impressive gains with a turbo (300hp) of coarse using a lot of stuff used on turbo'd cavis but like I said I cant decide id like to be different but then again I'd like to have the displacement..... decisions, decisions
Old 09-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: S10 Swaps

300hp turbo Cavalier? Why bother. Well, I guess that is a major improvement from stock....

But, if it were me, I'd just go with a V8. It is a truck, after all. I have seen many LS1/LT1 swaps into the S10 body style. I know more than one company makes a kit to do it, and there are wiring harnesses so you don't have to do any splicing.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Cosmo]300hp turbo Cavalier? Why bother. Well, I guess that is a major improvement from stock....

Yeah but whens the last time youve seen a 300hp turbo'd 2.2 in a s10 keep in mind your lucky to get one stock that has 125 hp
Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Well, it would be different. But I personally would still go with a V8.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Well, it would be different. But I personally would still go with a V8.
I have a buddy on an s10 forum working on a 5.3 swap that im very interested due to the fact I can get a 5.3 and a trans from a friend that works in a junk yard for pretty good price
Old 09-07-2004, 01:26 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

remember the key: no replacement for displacement.

the weight is not much of an issue, you consider a iron block 2.2, add a turbo and related items, will weigh the same as an LS1.

i have a TPI 5.7 waiting for time to install in an S10 myself, and have helped on a few with tech details and such....its pretty easy and straightforward.

jags that run.....look into them.

and lets all have a moment of silence for John Lingenfelter.....may he rest in piece. it was that 1000hp cavalier he was driving that took his life. he will be missed....still.

the 5.3 swap has been done a few times, mainly cause it is cheap to do (for the most part....there are alot of wrecked 99+ silverados) and a straightforward swap.

3.8......do a GN swap

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 09-07-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by fc735
the 5.3 swap has been done a few times, mainly cause it is cheap to do (for the most part....there are alot of wrecked 99+ silverados) and a straightforward swap.

3.8......do a GN swap
A GN swap would be sweet but very expensive i think a 5.3 swap will be the way ill go for the Hombre especially because its a newer vehicle and I want to do it right so I dont have inspection trouble (I could take it somewhere where i could get to pass no matter what what was in itbut i think I'll wait till i get another s10 to do a nasty v8 swap)
Old 09-07-2004, 01:49 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

a big block is nice (427 in a buddies....and a four speed behind it ) it didnt go anywhere.....it was a burnout machine and that was it.

but, the 5.3 is a damn good engine, you will have fun with some things (fuel system is a returnless setup, meaning you will need the in tank pump unit out of the donor truck) and the tranny is specific to that engine, but all in all it is not too shabby.

the wiring is what gets most people (i love that part ) but the best part is if ya know what to do, you can keep PS and AC (if you have it) by using the 5.3 drive setup.

gluck

and V8 S10's

Old 09-07-2004, 06:38 PM
bring ding ding ding

Choodle has disabled reputation

Not a fan of the V8 swaps. They are good for rolling launches and whatnot, but traction is a huge problem. With posi and some weight you should be fine. But you have to think about how much worse of traction a V8 will get over a V6, the V8 weighs more making the front end lower which makes the back get lighter. There is a lot more too it then just popping in a motor and rolling with it. I recommend a 4.3(of couse I would, I've got it ) It's a stout motor and is pretty much just a 350 minus 2 cylinders.

Another swap to consider is an SR20DET. I've seen it done once, and only once. Completely sick swap, I'll try and find the link for it when i can.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
bring ding ding ding

Choodle has disabled reputation

Found it.
http://www.mys10.com/your_truck/view...tid=1421107584

Quick Reply: S10 Swaps