Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Evo VIII Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evo VIII Thread

EVO 8, EVO 8, EVO 8.

What more really needs to be said? The USDM Specs are out as of Jan 3rd. Td05 twin scroll turbo pushing out 19psi from the factory on 8.8:1 internals. Hollow cams, carbon fiber wing, fmic, 2 IC sprayers, enkei 17" wheels, recaro seats, momo steering wheel, 52/48 weight distribution, strut bars, heat vent in hood, hollow cams. 14" 4 piston brembo brakes up front, 12" 2 piston ones in the rear (thats right for all of you who actually just paid attention to what I just said). Same old proven 4g63 platform meaning tons of aftermarket support will very quickly arrive, as well as the HUGE potential of swappable parts to DSM's (move over honda ). So let's all join in with me...

EVO 8, EVO 8, EVO 8, EVO 8...
Old 01-06-2003, 03:24 PM
In Hoc Signo Vinces

I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang

Sticker price? Isn't it something like $25k?
Old 01-06-2003, 04:18 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

i can't wait... i'll be helping you raid the junkyards for whenever there's a report of a wrecked one, hehe..
Old 01-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

I believe the quoted price by mitsu was 28500 accroding to motor trend magazine (the "official" price apparently). But I would expect there to be a slightly increased price due to the rarity of it in the beginning and the already overwhelming demand. We'll just have to see, either way I seriously wouldnt ever expect it to be more than 35, 30-32 would be more around my guess.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

no ayc, no acd. that is what made the evo...the evo imo.

to me the evo 8 is just a factory souped up dsm with 4 doors.

but of course thats just my HUMBLE OPINION. so dont flame me CHRIS!!!
Old 01-06-2003, 07:12 PM
God

Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point

300hp/300tq, 2.5 liters of boosted boxer glory with a 6 speed, viscous LSDs with driver controll, brembos all around, IC sprayers, 8K redline.. and NO ALTEZZAS.

New WRX STi is going to own the Evo.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

V8BRICK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rguy
300hp/300tq, 2.5 liters of boosted boxer glory with a 6 speed, viscous LSDs with driver controll, brembos all around, IC sprayers, 8K redline.. and NO ALTEZZAS.

New WRX STi is going to own the Evo.
Damn straight, the STi will definately accept the evo 8's challenge. Now if subaru can keep it around $30k....
Old 01-06-2003, 09:51 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

Do you have anymore info on the EVO's turbo. I keep hearing about it being a good swap for MR2's and Im too lazy to research it.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Originally posted by V8BRICK
Damn straight, the STi will definately accept the evo 8's challenge. Now if subaru can keep it around $30k....
I agree it is goign to be very competitive, but jus as Dan I'm sure has found out it is an absolute pain in the ass to work on a WRX boxer engine. The 4G63 couldnt be more straight forward and easy to work on. In addition it is a proven platform and within the end of the year I am sure there will already be multiple 10 second evo's out there with the potential that car comes with. So the Evo isnt 300 f*cking hp big deal, I have already heard that so many times today since those specs have been released. Sometimes manufacturers detune a car before its released such as the Supra. Notice how the boost is 19psi at 3500rpms and 16.24psi by 6500? That tells me right there that the thing is being choked, most likely intentionally, and just like a BPU Supra will seriously be awakened with just minor intake and exhaust upgrades. I have a TD05-16g Turbo, which is similar to the stock turbo of the Evo and I can verify right now it will hold well more than 19psi all the way to redline, so something obviously isnt performing to its peak with the stock evo trim.

I love the Evo, you guys love the STi, two very similar cars and I give the STi the same respect as the Evo. I feel the Evo will be much more of a modifiers car than the STi will be and therefore have an advantage, but there are obviously some weaknesses of the drivetrain that mitsu should have left on from the JDM version.

I guess to some it up, I just couldnt always have to turn my head sideways to work on my engine .

PS-once again Brian will be left in back in his NA. Poor engineering my ass
Old 01-06-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Originally posted by Mr.2
Do you have anymore info on the EVO's turbo. I keep hearing about it being a good swap for MR2's and Im too lazy to research it.
The evo's turbo is simply a TD05-16g with dual inlets on the turbine housing. Look up what a TD05-16g is and then imagine it with slightly better low end and spool up, thats all. The plain TD05-16g flows 505cfm @ 15psi, and is good enough for a little more than 300whp according to all the DSM guys, it would definately be a nice upgrade for a car of your weight .

Quick Reply: Evo VIII Thread