Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

bogus exhaust tickets!

Old 04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fitch9014 has disabled reputation
Default bogus exhaust tickets!

okay, so i thought maybe i'd search it, but then i was like someones got to know. and the first ticket wasn't so bogus, the exhaust was pretty loud. then i got the fujitsubo, very quiet. i was on my way to class in dublin from christiansburg on 81 and this state trooper races up behind me. he pulls me, and then it's all "your exhaust is not supposed to look like that". okay, i don't believe that when it would pass inspection. i feel i'm being taken advantage of by the police of this area. does anyone have any suggestions to fight this?
i'd rather not make a big deal of it and i don't really want to go to court, is there something i could tell them the next time they stop that will make them stop hassling me? i wasn't and i don't really speed (excessively), i just feel like i've been profiled...help. please.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

flynlow has disabled reputation
Default Re: bogus exhaust tickets!

I believe in the state of Va that if your exhaust is "altered" in anyway from the factory, it is considered faulty equipment. Whether it's loud or quiet, they will give you a ticket. I could be wrong though....
Old 04-10-2006, 06:55 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by flynlow
I believe in the state of Va that if your exhaust is "altered" in anyway from the factory, it is considered faulty equipment. Whether it's loud or quiet, they will give you a ticket. I could be wrong though....
You're both right.

1) He did most likely profile you. What kind of car do you drive? Not that there's anything you can do to prevent a police officer from profiling you, but I'm interested to find out what type of import you drive..

2) The above statement about altered equipment is correct. It has to either be stock, or to OE specs. Technically, you throw a Mangaflow muffler and an exhaust tip on your otherwise stock car, and technically it's illegal. Depends on who's got you pulled over, and what kind of car you drive.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

yup, i jsut paid my 5th exuhast ticket today over the phone, Lynchburg Police.... $86.00 nothing they can do but give ya a ticket....phhuuuckk'em...they are profilin SOB's who can rot for all i care...just dont get me started on the cop thing....i seriously hate them
Old 04-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Hate the politicians that made the laws, not the people hired to enforce them.

And yes, there's nothing you can do, you broke the law. Pay the ticket and expect plenty more in the future.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:36 PM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

State low are atleast OE replacement which is besically any "chambered" exhaust. This is why domestic V8's & such arnt bothed with have FLowmasters, Borla's, Dynomax & suck & we are harrased over the straight through type exhaust systems which "are" illegal. If you can take papers, pics, spec or what ever for you exhaust system showing its an chambers exhaust system you shouldnt be charged
Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

fitch9014 has disabled reputation

i've got a 240sx s13 w/ca18det engine swap...but it's part primer gray, part nasty maaco black, all beat...i mean, i got the good stuff where you can't really see it...but the man says i can't even have that...oh well, i guess they can lick my left nut, it's all a bunch of bs anyway, besides what're you gonna do? fight it? the judge is probably on their side anyway...oh and as a side note, i don't blame the politicians, because police don't have pull people over who aren't breaking any laws...if you ever read the tickets, they always say improper, not illegal...they've got a choice, and if they're profiling, which i think they are, that's illegal, very illegal, but like you say it's cheaper to pay tickets than fix something that's not actually broken and doesn't hurt anything or anyone (except maybe the odd car alarm! ) thanks for the feedback.

i would like to point out, so that no one gets offended, there's no actual proof of any profiling, i think it's called hearsay in court
Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Unfortunately, the state law says anything other than stock or an equivalent replacement is illegal. I guarantee it's because of 1) the car you drive, and 2) your age. There are a lot of ricers that drive 240's, so they probably grouped you in with them. I drove my WRX around with an exhaust that was so loud it would shake things off the shelf in my house for 4 months, and the police never looked twice at me. I was 32 at the time.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Unfortunately, the state law says anything other than stock or an equivalent replacement is illegal. I guarantee it's because of 1) the car you drive, and 2) your age. There are a lot of ricers that drive 240's, so they probably grouped you in with them. I drove my WRX around with an exhaust that was so loud it would shake things off the shelf in my house for 4 months, and the police never looked twice at me. I was 32 at the time.

Exactly

If your car is not OEM it is illegal and expect a ticket. thats simply how it is.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts

I saw your car the other day, sounds real nice. I got pulled over on 81 coming back down to school in my WRX for my exhaust. The state trooper was hiding in the emergency turn off area. I was in the right lane and a car flew past me doing about 80+. The cop pulled out and started to pass me then hit the brakes and dropped in behind me. The whole time I was off the gas so my car was quiet.

My brother just got an exhaust ticket so he took his car to a muffler shop. They said he had a hole in his muffler ( he had no hole) and he went to court they dropped it.

Nothing you can really do but, put on a stock exhaust or pay the tickets.

Quick Reply: bogus exhaust tickets!