Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

the best buyer beware story you'll read all year>>>

Old 06-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Hating...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JKim has disabled reputation

farking long.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
DAAAANG & OHDAANG

MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch

that story is great, i read one paragraph and had to read the whole thing. id be highly upset to go through all that.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:06 PM

stirpicult is on a distinguished road

does it end with "..." or is there more? i wanna know if the guy gets his money back.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy shit my brain hurts.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Jerome LeBanner Fan

weavil has disabled reputation

Originally posted by stirpicult
does it end with "..." or is there more? i wanna know if the guy gets his money back.
Yea no kidding. I really hate the bastard who screwed this guy, it takes away almost any trust there is when buying something over the net or hell even in person.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:51 AM
wat

Sled has disabled reputation

damn just read that whole thing, i dont even know what to say,...
Old 06-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Sass Masterson

parknasty is an unknown quantity at this point

I read this post twice(which means I read most of the story 4 times, ha ha.) I definitely think the ole sneaky Juan that sold him the car should be dealt with and was a dirtbag for lying about it.

However, I can't feel totally sorry for the guy that bought the car, his story doesn't totally add up. I think he was more eager, and bought the car more hastily than his re-hashed story claims. He starts off explaining how he's a car nut, how anal he is about all the little details that make a good car(especially in the body work.) He even goes as far as to say how he can immediately spot imperfections and flaws in paint/bodywork that the normal eye just cannot seem to detect. He only wants a car that's the best, and he's very picky about bodywork jobs that are half-assed…. He finds all these imperfections he can’t stand, even notes that the whole body will have to be sanded and repainted to meet his standards(which I would think would run at least that extra $4-5K required to buy one of those 15-16K cars he talked about that would be right to start with and in much better shape.) --yet he still buys the car.

Secondly, he takes a look at the title and it doesn’t have Juan’s name on it. I mean, come on, if it was an old jalopy or model T that was rusting in the backyard, I might understand. But, this is a pretty new M3 we’re talking about…. Juan claims “I didn’t have time to change the title over” and this guy buys it?

Thirdly, he asks to run a carfax and Juan says not to run a carfax with a lot of apprehension…. This wouldn’t arouse your suspicions any?? Even better, when Juan takes him back to his hotel room, the guy explains how bored he is and how he looks through the papers for other M3’s etc etc…. This is 2003- He couldn’t locate a “cyber café” and run a carfax while drinking a cup of that joe he claims he must have instead of “swimming in the hotel pool” in those hours of downtime? In fact, most Hotels nowadays have a computer with access to the internet in there lobby.

Also, Juan refuses to sign a bill of sale and refuses to take any kind of check. Is this guy not catching on that Juan is trying to distance himself from this sale? When purchasing a car, I feel it’s at least a little bit of reassurance to use a cashier’s or certified check, you have to write his name on it in order for him to cash it(which at least somewhat ties him to the sale), plus you don’t have to carry 10K in cash around(which is in my opinion very, very stupid)

I also like how in his test-drive he says he redlines it through 3 gears and only noticed that it seemed sluggish on the topend, otherwise. However, as soon as he purchases the car and drives it to those speeds the car “shudders violently.” –funny how you never notice those things until after the fact.

I could go on and on with the laundry list of things he himself pointed out that he noticed thought were strange and suspicious before purchasing the car but I won’t. It seems to me that his story is just a pile of excuses he put together in an attempt to make himself NOT look like an unwise car shopper and more like the eagle eye perfectionist he thinks himself to be. However, what he didn’t realize is that the more things he points out in his story he thought were strange and wrong with the car, while still proceeding to purchase the car, the more of a dumbass he makes himself out to be.

I’m sure I’ll get rebuttal and maybe some flak for this post, but I just thought I’d offer another look on it, that’s all. Don’t get me wrong, getting scammed out of money sucks, whether you were a fool about it or not.

Last edited by parknasty; 06-13-2003 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:02 PM
VIP Boost

rhombus is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking some of those same things you were Parker. Ive driven hours several time to get each of my cars. I can understand being excited about getting a car you want and overlooking some details and I can understand wanting to take somthing home when you have traveled far to get a car.....But, I wouldnt get a car that didnt have a good title with the sellers name on it, or not get a bill of sale.

It doesnt matter if Juan's name was on the title or not, he gave him $10K, get a damm recept.

Where is the rest of the story?

Eric
Old 06-14-2003, 06:05 AM

PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri

Originally posted by rhombus
Where is the rest of the story?

Eric
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...3378984&page=1
Old 06-15-2003, 12:40 PM

teg21 is an unknown quantity at this point