Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Amber Alert - Roanoke

Old 01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Amber Alert - Roanoke

Originally Posted by JROW
Don't see the need to flood the section with threads about missing kids, I mean it sucks, and I feel for them, but that's not what this section is about
This section is for things concerning this area. 99% of the stuff in all of the sections are non car-related.

Seems selfish for a mod to combine two different threads just to exercise their moderation power...
Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

They have an amber alert app for the Android operating system for those of you who have Android phones... I'm rocking the Droid, so I went ahead and downloaded the app and it runs in the background using very little system resources and gives you all the information on amber alerts. Not really sure why I have it, as I'm sure I won't be much help, but it's nice to know what to look for in the event that you might run across the person [or suspect]..
Old 01-17-2010, 03:35 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Don't see the need to flood the section with threads about missing kids, I mean it sucks, and I feel for them, but that's not what this section is about
I'm going to have to agree with Cosmo. This section of the board is for local things... Although DragVa is a car forum, why have regional subforums if they're not for all things that apply to a region? There's so much other bullshit going on, I don't see any harm in having two very appropriate threads about important topics. For once, it's not a thread about "dak touching" or where to get fenders rolled.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Originally Posted by Cosmo
This section is for things concerning this area. 99% of the stuff in all of the sections are non car-related.

Seems selfish for a mod to combine two different threads just to exercise their moderation power...
Exercising power huh? Hahaha you guys need to get off that shit. I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, there is no power trip, If you want to post a bunch of amber alerts, then go to that site. Until then, I will be putting them all together, until further notice from sung or eng.

Originally Posted by VanillaThrilla
I'm going to have to agree with Cosmo. This section of the board is for local things... Although DragVa is a car forum, why have regional subforums if they're not for all things that apply to a region?
I'm keeping the section clean, as I'm supposed to. Stop bitching about the way I do this. I have asked if I should be doing different, and have not been told otherwise. One thread for these things is enough. I don't need your, or anyone else in this sections approval. I was chosen to do this, and am doing so to help out. If I'm doing wrong, I'll change it, until then I'm doing it the way I see fit. There is no power trip, just doing what I'm asked to do. Get over it.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 AM
SUCKAFISH

MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8

Still love you JROW <3 no homo lol
Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Exercising power huh? Hahaha you guys need to get off that shit. I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, there is no power trip, If you want to post a bunch of amber alerts, then go to that site. Until then, I will be putting them all together, until further notice from sung or eng.

I'm keeping the section clean, as I'm supposed to. Stop bitching about the way I do this. I have asked if I should be doing different, and have not been told otherwise. One thread for these things is enough. I don't need your, or anyone else in this sections approval. I was chosen to do this, and am doing so to help out. If I'm doing wrong, I'll change it, until then I'm doing it the way I see fit. There is no power trip, just doing what I'm asked to do. Get over it.

Thanks
Your claim that "this isn't what this section is about" doesn't hold water. If that were the case, why not lock over half of the threads in this section that are active now? They have nothing to do with cars, yet they are still active. Why not combine all the other non-car-related threads into the "Off Topic" thread? By your own admission, that is what should be done.

Granted, this single incident of abuse of power by a moderator isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But, seeing that the thread I posted effects someone close to me and my family, I take offense to you saying that it doesn't matter by just combining it with a thread that doesn't have anything to do with it and not allowing it to get the attention it deserves.

Luckily the situation has been resolved, so you didn't do any harm by hiding the thread in another thread.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 AM
S a D u B

Your claim that "this isn't what this section is about" doesn't hold water. If that were the case, why not lock over half of the threads in this section that are active now? They have nothing to do with cars, yet they are still active. Why not combine all the other non-car-related threads into the "Off Topic" thread? By your own admission, that is what should be done.

Granted, this single incident of abuse of power by a moderator isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But, seeing that the thread I posted effects someone close to me and my family, I take offense to you saying that it doesn't matter by just combining it with a thread that doesn't have anything to do with it and not allowing it to get the attention it deserves.

Luckily the situation has been resolved, so you didn't do any harm by hiding the thread in another thread.
I don't see the issue. They are both right there for anyone interested to see. Stop whining, seriously.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

I don't see the issue. They are both right there for anyone interested to see. Stop whining, seriously.
Nobody is whining. I'm stating my opinion. My opinion is that you were in the wrong.

You took two threads that were related in subject line only and combined them without taking into account the content of the threads, thereby negating the purpose of posting the thread.

That, and the fact that you selectively pick and choose which thread to moderate translates into an abuse of power. I just call it like I see it.

Consider for a second that the person missing was your sister or daughter or friend. Then you go to a web site that gets a lot of traffic from people in that area, and you post in hopes that someone will be able to help her be returned. Then the moderator decides that your thread doesn't really matter and just combines it with another one about someone completely different in a different city. How would you feel?

Last edited by Cosmo; 01-18-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 AM
S a D u B

You took two threads that were related in subject line only and combined them
Period.

Until I'm told by other mods and or sung/eng, this is the way I have chosen to handle it. There is no abuse of power. Only use of "power". LOL at you all considering moderating western a "power". It is more of a chore and I do it the way I feel it should be done. If there is a problem with that, I will be notified by the proper members on this board. You want to be a mod, talk to them. Otherwise, I will do what I was asked to, as I see fit.

Get over it.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Period.

Until I'm told by other mods and or sung/eng, this is the way I have chosen to handle it. There is no abuse of power. Only use of "power". LOL at you all considering moderating western a "power". It is more of a chore and I do it the way I feel it should be done. If there is a problem with that, I will be notified by the proper members on this board. You want to be a mod, talk to them. Otherwise, I will do what I was asked to, as I see fit.

Get over it.
So are you saying that all threads with "Honda" in the title should be combined into one? Considering they have the same thing in the subject line they should be. It's just another case of power going to someone's head. It happens all too often on the internet.

As for being a mod... I was a mod. So was another person that actually lived in this area. Then with no explanation or warning all of a sudden we weren't. Nobody will tell us why. So now we have a mod that doesn't live in this area whose job is to moderate over a section that is used primarily by people that live here.

As far as getting over it, I'm over it. Luckily she was found and returned to her home, no thanks to your actions.

Last edited by Cosmo; 01-18-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Amber Alert - Roanoke