Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

$400 + 5 Hours = New Project...

Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
13.5:1 Poor Mans R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kana has disabled reputation
Default Re: $400 + 5 Hours = New Project...

Originally Posted by Heiss M3
Insurance is what its called. Bumper rebar? Oh ya its in my garbage can.
That doesnt pay for youre life though.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:35 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by DecentCivicZ6
I dont have one in mine either, the bars in civics arent shit anyway made outa pepsi can metal. But i was thinking of fabing up somthing tubular iin there just encase I do get in a wreck.

making it up out of some heavy wall cm tubing will suffice. you would be amazed as to what it can take when gusseted correctly

BTW my buddy got hit in the front of his jetta with a FMIC and it destroyed his FMIC and his radiator, but everything else was fine - so it acts like a crunch area for the impact, much like the rebar.
a jetta front end design and an S4 are completely different. similar front end module replacement, but the frames are different, along with many other key factors. its your life, but damn.

Insurance is what its called. Bumper rebar? Oh ya its in my garbage can.
I can almost guarantee that an insurance adjuster is gonna deny payment on the FMIC. in fact, if you get one that wants to push the issue, since you violated a FMVSS by removing the crash beam, it is possible to be charged for that.

and before any nut swingers say anything about my old wagon, it retained a bumper beam. in fact, it was heavier and stronger than the oe sheetmetal one.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Hahaha yeah its like it has braces- :0 heheh

Adam - no rebar at all, it was built into my bumper and not into my frame - sort of weird how it was designed...and in order to reshape the inside of my bumper, the rebar had to come out - and it was riveted in, so there was no re-installing it so I was like fackk it i'll leave it out. BTW my buddy got hit in the front of his jetta with a FMIC and it destroyed his FMIC and his radiator, but everything else was fine - so it acts like a crunch area for the impact, much like the rebar.
Who, Gavin? I imagine you know him and are referring to him.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Anti "DONK"

ShortyzKustomz has disabled reputation

mmmm, Theres a yellow S4 with a fmic I see by my work everyday
Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

You have a good point, but to take that further - I have down on my insurance now that the car is customized...it adds an extra $50
a year to my premium but I basically took my car by my insurance company this week and had them list every modification I had on my car and its declared value + photographs of the car so every mod and everything i've done to my car (including the FMIC - I have that down under the mod list) is covered under insurance, so if I were to get in an accident, I can have it all replaced as is.

Besides, the FMIC acts as a nice crunch plate for the front - and you do understand that the firewalls in the S4s are rediculously thick - theres about 1-2 feet of protection between the front/engine and the driver. It sucks that the engine is so far foward cause it can cause issues with handling, but its noted that the S4, unlike most other cars has a tremendous amount of area and just unneeded stuff between the driver and the engine components so I should be alright if I were to get in some sort of front end colision - granted its not at 60mph head on. heh heh

Originally Posted by fc735
making it up out of some heavy wall cm tubing will suffice. you would be amazed as to what it can take when gusseted correctly

a jetta front end design and an S4 are completely different. similar front end module replacement, but the frames are different, along with many other key factors. its your life, but damn.

I can almost guarantee that an insurance adjuster is gonna deny payment on the FMIC. in fact, if you get one that wants to push the issue, since you violated a FMVSS by removing the crash beam, it is possible to be charged for that.

and before any nut swingers say anything about my old wagon, it retained a bumper beam. in fact, it was heavier and stronger than the oe sheetmetal one.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ShortyzKustomz
mmmm, Theres a yellow S4 with a fmic I see by my work everyday
Well theres a guy on Audizine from Richmond (jl4punch2) that just bought an Imola Yellow Stage 3 S4 with a FMIC and about $20k invested into it....be careful, its a Beast.

Is this what it looks like:

Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

MK3 VRT has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dave22
Poor bumper.
funtional I guess imho would have looked better hidden more but nice work.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

marshall has disabled reputation

Seems trendy lately for people to bash others when they take out their bumper support to fit a front mount...

I think it looks great, keep up the good work, really interested to see what it dynos/runs/etc
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by marshall
Seems trendy lately for people to bash others when they take out their bumper support to fit a front mount...

I think it looks great, keep up the good work, really interested to see what it dynos/runs/etc
I'm not bashing. I just wish the front mount could have been integrated with the bumper support somehow. I'm sure he'll still be safe even without it, but if it's truly deemed to be unsafe without a rebar, then the con's would outweigh the pro's by far!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

MK3 VRT has disabled reputation

While on the subject of being safe I would be carefull with that mbc and giac software and not turn it up past what the chip will do

Quick Reply: $400 + 5 Hours = New Project...