Notices
Want to Buy / Trade ARCHIVE Previous forum, cannot make any new posts.

WTB 97 Gst Cylinder Head

Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Local DSM Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997EclipseGST has disabled reputation
Default WTB 97 Gst Cylinder Head

Im thinking I cracked my head so I want to buy a used one off someone with everything installed full complete, unless there is a cheaper route let me know kinda new to DSM's. Brian
Old 08-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Re: WTB 97 Gst Cylinder Head

Originally Posted by 1997EclipseGST
Im thinking I cracked my head so I want to buy a used one off someone with everything installed full complete, unless there is a cheaper route let me know kinda new to DSM's. Brian
you could do a 1g head swap... or you could pay me to do it for you. You'll pick up some power gains and have a better setup for other bolt ons. Another option would be to buy my cylinder head from my 98 %100 complete with everything. PM me if you are interested.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Local DSM Noob

I've looked into that 1st gen head on a 7 bolt but not sure all what that entails and how long it will take and most importantly if it will fix my problem. I'm sure you'll kick me in the @$$ when I say this but I bought a car from Motorsport by base (just PCSed from Japan). 1997 Eclipse Gst ran good for about 2 months then I get over heating problems. Bad therostat and replaced it. Then started to get oil in my coolant. Took it to the dealership they fiddle with it for like 3 months and its still not fixed. Now not trusting their work I wanna do it myself but not sure where to look. I have no shaft play in my turbo but not sure how to check the seals. I'm not sure if its my oil cooler but can check when I change the oil (which IMO is pointless because I'm lossing oil in the first place). So only thing i can think of is they didn't either A.) Seat the head gasket right B.) Cracked head C.) Bad Seals in the turbo.. How much would you charge to do the 1Gen head job and what parts do I need. I honestly bought the car to learn now to tune DSM's but this was a little sooner than expected. I know I can score a 1st gen head rebuilt for 200 shipped. What else would I need assuming throttle body and intake mani..
Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 PM
cubs 4 life

boostedgst97 has disabled reputation

im gonna go with blown head gasket and nic is the man when it comes to dsm's he did my 6 bolt swap in my 97 gst in a weekend never ever ever had a problem with his work i would highley recommend him to any dsm owner
Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Local DSM Noob

Nick and in ^ that guy? Hey I've been around DSM's long enought you always follow the DSM guru's they know what they are talking about.. I'm looking for affordable fixes tho, I dont have the money to be throwing down on a new motor or anything just to get her running good for a few more months and then I'll be able to do stuff to her, dang divorce kicked me in the balls..
Old 08-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Formerly da_clipse

95vadsm has disabled reputation

you're looking for a new head? get an account on team-2g.com or one of those sights. i believe i saw a 4g63 head for sale on team2g just a couple of days ago.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Local DSM Noob

good heads up thanks man (LOL no pun intended)
Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 PM
cubs 4 life

boostedgst97 has disabled reputation

nic and them did my swapp 500 bux puleed my old motor n tranny had to get some new parts and put my new motor and tranny back in started sat morning and was done sun night
Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by 1997EclipseGST
Nick and in ^ that guy? Hey I've been around DSM's long enought you always follow the DSM guru's they know what they are talking about.. I'm looking for affordable fixes tho, I dont have the money to be throwing down on a new motor or anything just to get her running good for a few more months and then I'll be able to do stuff to her, dang divorce kicked me in the balls..
In my opinion, if you are going to replace a head gasket on a 2g, you might as well just swap a 1g head on there.

Parts I would recommend:

Head gasket
1g Intake Manifold
1g throttle body
Complete Good Flat Head
1g CAS

All in all it's pretty straight forward on what you need to do, I mean to me it's just a head install. To other it may be a little bit more involved and scary.

I don't know the amount of miles on the car or the history, but not is the time to just go ahead and do a t-belt, water pump...etc. Nothing would be worse than doing all of the work and then having a t-belt break on you because it's old or what not.

The list can go on and on with things you could do, but then again, everyone is on a budget and I know that.

I havent done any side work in a long while simply because of my work schedule, however, depending on where you are, I can help you out and do the work.

Here are a few pages just in case you decide to do the work yourself:
http://vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html - Timing belt Vfaq
http://vfaq.com/index-main.html - 1g CAS in a 2g in case you do aftermarket cams.

If you say you can get a good head for $200, that's not a bad deal. I have some parts laying around that will help you along. If you do it yourself you will spend anywhere from $300-$500. Having someone else do it shouldnt peak out above $650.

If you were to ask me to install a 1g head, I would most likely charge $150. Some people may charge more or less. So if you bought the head for $200 added my labor you're already at $350, throw in a CAS, intake manifold and TB that'd put you around $400. Timing belt and accessories will put you at or a little over $500 for a job done right.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Originally Posted by boostedgst97
nic and them
I just want to make sure credit is given where it's needed. Devan is "them". It was his shop and Tim originally contacted Devan. Devan called me and I told him I'd help out. We gave tim a good deal and worked out buts off trying to get the car together asap for tim since i do believe it was his only means of transportation. Was it worth $250... sure, I dont mind working on peoples cars with a good friend of mine. Plus... I'm not in it for the money, I just enjoy doing it 90% of the time.

Quick Reply: WTB 97 Gst Cylinder Head