Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Whats the average amount of $ you spending on racing each year?

Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Taking the shot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts
Default Whats the average amount of $ you spending on racing each year?

The more i look into doing open track racing the more and more it looks like its going to be a bizillion times more expensive the drag racing.So it got me to think how much do you spend each year to go road racing? (track fees, membership, safety equipment, car equipment, etc.)
Old 04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
-DMD-

DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard
Default Re: Whats the average amount of $ you spending on racing each year?

Originally Posted by QwanSanchez
The more i look into doing open track racing the more and more it looks like its going to be a bizillion times more expensive the drag racing.So it got me to think how much do you spend each year to go road racing? (track fees, membership, safety equipment, car equipment, etc.)
Well you only have to spend money on safety equipment about every 5 years depending on if it's FIA rated not. FIA rated stuff is certified longer. It is a pretty significant initial investment but I would recommend having all the necessary equipment for DE's as well. Safety equipment is definitely not where you want to buy the cheep stuff. I'm not gonna say exactly how much we spend a year on racing but with one car we spend easily over 10k. With two cars the price doesn't go up that much but obviously there is more money involved with towing the car and also tires, and general maintanence items. Ask anybody that went to nationals and they will probably tell you they spent anywhere from $3500 to $7500 for the 4 day event. It is expensive but if you get into a series like SPEC E30 it's not so bad. Racing in 944 cup is an entirely different story. They won't do standing starts because god knows how much it would cost to replace one of their cute little transaxles.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Hmmmm. Anywhere between $10k and $100k a season, not counting the purchase of the car itself (or a truck & trailer) - ??? - I dunno. There are many variables in the answer to that question.

Are you talking about actual roadracing with a dedicated car that will require a truck & trailer, or just HPDE'ing/TT'ing in something street legal? If you're talking about racing, are you trying to run up front or just be on the track in general? Are you doing an event every two weeks or a few a year to keep your license? Will you be staying in region or traveling to faraway tracks? Will you need a pit crew? Will you be staying in hotels? And are you using a fast car, a reliable car, or a cheap car? (Pick two, hahaha.)

One thing to consider is that any of these choices will provide a bazillion times more seat time than drag racing, and a bazillion times more fun too (IMHO.)

Very interesting topic,

Jon
Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

uhh prolly whatever it costs to race lol... id rather do track time then constant modding... i like to see how fast i am, not the car.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by getfast
Hmmmm. Anywhere between $10k and $100k a season, not counting the purchase of the car itself (or a truck & trailer) - ??? - I dunno. There are many variables in the answer to that question.

Are you talking about actual roadracing with a dedicated car that will require a truck & trailer, or just HPDE'ing/TT'ing in something street legal? If you're talking about racing, are you trying to run up front or just be on the track in general? Are you doing an event every two weeks or a few a year to keep your license? Will you be staying in region or traveling to faraway tracks? Will you need a pit crew? Will you be staying in hotels? And are you using a fast car, a reliable car, or a cheap car? (Pick two, hahaha.)

One thing to consider is that any of these choices will provide a bazillion times more seat time than drag racing, and a bazillion times more fun too (IMHO.)

Very interesting topic,

Jon
Ya I guess my original question was a little to broad. I'm refering to drivng a midly modded car (more cheap and realiable then fast) in such things as HPDE's and open track events(do they even have open track events were you can just run what you brung?) And possiable staying in a hotel once or twice. I'd mainly be hitting uo VIR, MIR and Summit. I live in NoVA(fairfax) in the fall winter and spring and Penninsula(Hampton) during the summer so i'm hoping most events are within driving distance. I guess my biggest concern is that i'm a poor college student for the time being driving a car that wasnt really made for the road course(96 GT) so i'm starting to wonder if i will even have enough money to make setting my car up for the open track worth it.

I mean going to the strip is any where from like 20-40$ through the gate form what i can tell with open track its several hundred dollars to get starte(safety gear, SCCA or NASA membership, etc.) and the $100+ more for the actual event itself. You can see my delima(sp)
Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
$Level$

Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich

Larry- If you are gonna use the STi then you will prob just start with some decent brake pads/Dot4 fluid. Maybe get a better track suited tire after getting some experience on street tires. This would only be after getting experience with several HPDE's. If you are gonna start with HPDE's (which is fun) then figure on spending 300-500 dollars entry fee for a weekend event. Hotel rooms depend on quality and area of course. Food, you prob' only eat a handful of Cheerios a day. Expect to drop $1000 for a weekend HPDE on average.

I dropped $4000 for wheels/tires, $2500 for a trailer, $2000 on safety gear (harness bar, helmet, harnesses) and whatever hotels cost me. I plan on doing 4-5 HPDE events this year. Come check us out one weekend and catch a ride with an instructor. I can take you out during parade laps, but it's not the same of course.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:14 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by QwanSanchez
(do they even have open track events were you can just run what you brung?)
Yes, but you need to have significant HPDE experience (i.e. HPDE Group 3 Advanced, passing in corners without an instructor) to get into 'em.

And possiable staying in a hotel once or twice. I'd mainly be hitting uo VIR, MIR and Summit. I live in NoVA(fairfax) in the fall winter and spring and Penninsula(Hampton) during the summer so i'm hoping most events are within driving distance.
There's something going on at VIR or Summit almost every weekend from March thru Oct. You're never more than a few hours from either one of 'em.

I guess my biggest concern is that i'm a poor college student for the time being driving a car that wasnt really made for the road course(96 GT) so i'm starting to wonder if i will even have enough money to make setting my car up for the open track worth it.

I mean going to the strip is any where from like 20-40$ through the gate form what i can tell with open track its several hundred dollars to get starte(safety gear, SCCA or NASA membership, etc.) and the $100+ more for the actual event itself. You can see my delima(sp)

That's 20-40 bucks at the dragstrip for what, 1-2 minutes worth of seat time? Even if it's 2 minutes for 20 bucks, that's still $10 per minute. HPDE's are more like $3 per minute, and autocrosses are like $5 per minute. Think about it like that and it makes a lot more sense IMHO.

HPDE's won't cost you too much money at first, and will make you a better driver until you can afford to go racing. You can do 'em in an almost totally stock car at first, and borrow a helmet. They also aren't particularly hard on the car until you start going fast. NASA membership is $40 a year. You can also become a NASA worker/official and earn credits for free track time. And you can autocross in the meantime, which is still way cheaper than drag racing (and dare I say not as hard on the car either.)

Long story short, don't get discouraged just because you can't afford to go wheel to wheel roadracing right now. There are PLENTY of related things you can do in the meantime for less money.

Good luck,

Jon

Last edited by getfast; 04-09-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Taking the shot

Originally Posted by DoingOK
Larry- If you are gonna use the STi then you will prob just start with some decent brake pads/Dot4 fluid. Maybe get a better track suited tire after getting some experience on street tires. This would only be after getting experience with several HPDE's. If you are gonna start with HPDE's (which is fun) then figure on spending 300-500 dollars entry fee for a weekend event. Hotel rooms depend on quality and area of course. Food, you prob' only eat a handful of Cheerios a day. Expect to drop $1000 for a weekend HPDE on average.

I dropped $4000 for wheels/tires, $2500 for a trailer, $2000 on safety gear (harness bar, helmet, harnesses) and whatever hotels cost me. I plan on doing 4-5 HPDE events this year. Come check us out one weekend and catch a ride with an instructor. I can take you out during parade laps, but it's not the same of course.

1000$ for a weekend? Holy crap....
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
at the track today?

That's definitely in the ballpark... but remember it is SEVERAL HOURS of track time, with an instructor at first, probably the best money you will ever spend on your car. I'd break it down like:

Entry fee $350
Gas $150
Camping/food/etc $100
Tires & brakes maybe $200-$500 depending upon what you run (less at first, more the faster you go)

Plus whatever else you wear out or break on the car (chassis, suspension, driveline, whatever.) Plus fluid changes more frequently than usual.

You can usually borrow a helmet from the sanctioning body (NASA has plenty of loaners) or a buddy, but you'll need your own if you do more of 'em.

Hotels with comfy beds and hot showers > camping.

And real food > cheerios and tapwater.

Jon
Old 04-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Taking the shot

Originally Posted by getfast
That's definitely in the ballpark... but remember it is SEVERAL HOURS of track time, with an instructor at first, probably the best money you will ever spend on your car. I'd break it down like:

Entry fee $350
Gas $150
Camping/food/etc $100
Tires & brakes maybe $200-$500 depending upon what you run (less at first, more the faster you go)

Plus whatever else you wear out or break on the car (chassis, suspension, driveline, whatever.) Plus fluid changes more frequently than usual.

You can usually borrow a helmet from the sanctioning body (NASA has plenty of loaners) or a buddy, but you'll need your own if you do more of 'em.

Hotels with comfy beds and hot showers > camping.

And real food > cheerios and tapwater.

Jon
Lol i'm not doubt that you get more seat time by far on open track then in the strip, i'm just simpley stating that whether i got 5 hours or 100hours i just dont have 1000$ to spend on track time being a poor college student. I guess i'll have to stick to the strip until after i get out of college and get a job.

Quick Reply: Whats the average amount of $ you spending on racing each year?