Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Verona Autocross 09-19 Report

Old 09-19-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Verona Autocross 09-19 Report

Scroll to bottom for cliff notes.

Today was crazy. The day really got off to a bad start. After loading up the car this morning I go to pick up my friend. This was he first autocross, and he would be ridding along with me later in the day. Well, the first thing I notice as I pull out of my driveway is that the brake pedal went down unusually far before I started to stop. This was the first really cool morning we've had, so I figure maybe the pads are too cold. I've never really had a stiff pedal.

I arrive at my friends house and decide to pop the hood and take a gander at the MC while I wait. What did I find? A bone dry MC. Thats just great. I know for a fact that not to long ago it was full, as in just over the max mark. I drive back home, grab a big bottle of Valvolyne synpower, clear hose, and some other misc. things I would need to bleed the brakes. I filled the MC and hit the road. At this point I really wasnt sure what the problem was and if I was going to be able to fix it, but I was determined to race, especially since I dragged my friend out of his house at 6 in the morning to show him what autocrossing is all about.

I was planning on putting my wheels on after I got there, then driving to a gas station for air. However, we where both getting hungry and it would save me some time if I just filled them up while they are in the trunk. After a nice 6 inch cold cut trio from subway, and avoiding a crazy homeless man, we start to fill my tires up to about 45 psi. When I get to the third one, its flat, completely flat. At this point im really wondering if im going to be able to race today. I fill it up, then go to check it with my pressure gauge, my only pressure gauge. As I take it out of my pocket I see a piece fall out of it. I put the pressure gauge to the valve stem and I get nothing. Great, now my pressure gauge is broke. I fill the other tire and get back on the road.

We get there around 8:45 and get right to work. With my friends help we get the car up in the air and the wheels off nice and fast. I take a look at the brake lines to see if I can figure out whats wronge. The front right caliper was covered in brake fluid. It was leaking out of the banjo bolt. I tightened it up a good half a turn. It was pretty loose. I bleed all the calipers and got my autocross wheels in. I probably used about half of a very large bottle of brake fluid to bleed it, but the pedal was now hard as a rock. It has never felt this good. I think I have had some air in there all alonge. I had to bleed one of the calipers for a very very long time to get all the little tiny air bubbles out. While doing this, I also discover the source of the flat tire. I nail right in the center of the tire. I monitor the pressure throughout the morning with a borrowed pressure gauge (thanks guy with the B14 SE-R, cant remember your name), and it looked like it was going to be ok. Things are finally looking up.

I was in the fourth and final run group. From watching the course throughout the day, I knew it was very slow and technical. Alot of people opted to stay in second gear most of the time, but I found myself downshifting to first alot and I think it really helped. My first run was a 52.69, putting me into 3 out of 7 in STS. My friend thought it was amazingly fast, but it was actually pretty slow. I was not smooth at all, and there was a ton of room for improvement. My second run wa a 51.3, putting me into 1st. I could tell it was faster then my first, but still not near what my car could do. I told my friend after that run that my car could easily be into the 40's. My third and best run was a 49.5, securing my position in first. After I finished I looked at my friend and said now that was a pretty good run, although there is still room for improvement. My final run was going very well, and I think was on track to get a 48, but I took the second slalom to fast and ended up understeering through the last one and got some cones lodged under my car. I slowed down and waited until they came loose to start up again.

Today was my first autocross that I really noticed the power steering going out. I guess its because this course was so tight and technical. It kept going out at the the end of the second slalom. It was really affecting my driving. I just did a quick search and it appears that by filling the PS fluid to the very top it will prevent this. I'll give that a try and hopefully it works.

With the right driver (not me), I wouldnt be surprised at all if my car pulled off a 47 something. I believe that FTD was a 44 something, but im not sure. I had my agx's at 3 in the front and 8 in the rear. Still understeered all day long. I didnt play with tire pressures at all, I left them at whatever they where and just rode with it. Joel, another fellow SE-R driver, happened to miss todays event. He usually places first in STS, so my competition wasnt quite as bad as its been in some of the events i've been to in which I usually place in the middle of the pack. All in all I think it was a good day. Got off to a bad start but I had alot of fun, and ended up getting first place in STS at my 4th autocross ever. My friend also had a blast and hopefully he will bring he altima 3.5 se out next time. I also got some great in car video action of all my runs. Last night I built a camera mount. Only cost me about 31 bucks in materials, and half an hour to build. If I can figure out how to get them from my camera to my computer, then online, Ill try to post them.

Now its time for a rant. This is my fourth event, but the first time I've seen this. I dont know if it was due to ignorance, or just people being rude. There where plenty of loaner helmets availabe, I'd say at least 8. Everytime I pulled up and was only a few cars back before it was my turn, there would be no helmets left. People kept hording them. Some of the guys where holding onto them and never bringing them back!!! Other people where grabbing them long before there turn, I guess to make sure they got one, or just got one they wanted. If everyone just waited until they are only a few cars back, then got there helmet, then bring it back as soon as they are done, we wouldnt have this problem. I was getting really sick and tired of having to hunt around for a helmet and look in peoples cars to find a loaner they decided to stash away. They even made an announcment about it twice!! I think something needs to be said at the next events drivers meeting. Maybe its just time I bought my own helmet.

Cliff notes: Leaking brakes, flat tire. fixed brakes, filled tire. Got first in STS. Had fun.

-Mike
Old 09-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gonzoe00 can only hope to improve
Default Re: Verona Autocross 09-19 Report

Its sucks my new tranny was not in for that event. But i am going to the salem event you going to be there ?