Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

TSCC Autocross at ACU-4 on October 18th, 2009

Old 10-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Carolina Kracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26
Default Re: TSCC Autocross at ACU-4 on October 18th, 2009

Originally Posted by J3sse
weather just made a turn for the better
you should be good, you have AWD lol
Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 AM

J3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by quick26
you should be good, you have AWD lol
it gives me a false sense of security and its a whole different beast when i disable the ASC. I'd rather have a few dry events under my belt before i try a wet one.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

Turned from mid 50s and chance of rain to mid 70s and sunny?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

Originally Posted by J3sse
it gives me a false sense of security and its a whole different beast when i disable the ASC. I'd rather have a few dry events under my belt before i try a wet one.
but it would be fun to watch. think about me in the mustang in the wet trying to make it aroung lol

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Turned from mid 50s and chance of rain to mid 70s and sunny?

lol that is perfect!!!!!!!!!!!

on a side note, i have been running with 1/8 tank of fuel, should i try to run it with 1/2 or a full tank? i dont know if it would help my push by changing my front to rear weight %
Old 10-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by quick26
on a side note, i have been running with 1/8 tank of fuel, should i try to run it with 1/2 or a full tank? i dont know if it would help my push by changing my front to rear weight %
You missed the corner-weighting session TSCC had earlier this season at TCC's new automotive center, it was pretty interesting. One of the topics that came up was fuel load. 1/2 tank of fuel is about the worst thing you can do, as it will slosh worse than any other fuel level, and make handling issues worse. Either race with a full tank (no sloshing) or as empty a tank as you can run without fuel starvation in sweepers. I usually start with 4 gallons and run it down to 2 gallons during an event, but my situation is a little difference as I'm mid-engine with a front-mounted fuel tank. I'm afraid to try less for fear of either fuel starvation or running empty driving to the pump; at about 6.2lbs per gallon, 2 gallons of fuel isn't THAT heavy. I'd be better off losing 20lbs of driver weight instead

It's counter-intuitive, but some cars are faster with full tanks than empty. If you've got more power than rear-wheel grip, and your car has a strong tendency to understeer, a full tank will put more force on the rear tires and increase straight-line acceleration, and help balance out the understeer with more oversteer in corners. However, it is additional weight to lug around, and the rear tires will break loose at lower gee-forces and make oversteer problems worse, so it's definitely a tradeoff. If you have enough hp/brakes to overcome the weight (You know, like if you've got a massive engine and street tires), and have too much understeer during cornering, a full tank might be desirable.

Actually... Mills, you reading this? What fuel load do you usually race with?

Last edited by sjfehr; 10-16-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Carolina Kracker

i played with the weights when i ran go carts, believe me, i spent a many of hours on the scales but now that i am dealing with suspension, its a bit different. i was thinking the same about the 1/2 tank. generally speaking, the car will understeer then go into oversteer. i am thinking that the suspension i have needs more rear weight. i think mills runs with a full tank. why would the rear tires brake l
Old 10-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Registered member

Weight transfers forward during braking lightens the load on the rear tires. More weight in the back will increase the effectiveness of the rear brakes and lets you brake later and harder. Look at the racing lines 911s drive when entering turns, for instance.

It's still a compromise, though, as it's extra mass to brake, and extra inertia the rear tires have to counter during cornering.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

Yeah Steve, I'm reading it. I tried a few things early on to determine what works best for me. I always top the tank as full as I can get it either at Pungo or on the base. On street tires and an empty tank, the car is almost undriveable. believe it or not, it's more balanced with a passenger too. My tank is right behind the rear axle pretty low on the car. If I could get away with my passeger in the right rear seat I'd do that too! I missed the corner weighting session, but I'm guessing I'm probally 56/44 front/rear if that. The only thing heavy in the back of the car is the axle and rear glass!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Going Nowhere Fast

S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt

its gona be chilly tomorrow
Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Registered member

Cold is good, gives those of us on street tires a fighting chance against everyone on cold r-comps

Looking at the radar, I think the rain just might hold off, though! At least shouldn't be anything heavy.

Quick Reply: TSCC Autocross at ACU-4 on October 18th, 2009