Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

True Racing Tips!!!!!

Old 11-11-2002, 03:27 PM
///m thrizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip has disabled reputation
Default True Racing Tips!!!!!

Would anyone care to share their expierence and knowledge of road racing tactics. I really have no idea what to ask you to explain but some of the stuff that you learn at the track and can pratice it on your everyday exit ramp or daily drive to work/school. A good beginning example would be "trail braking." Could someone please explain this or anything else that they feel is necessary.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Read a little bit about what a racing line is really about. Also, read about braking in a straight line and the concept of slow in fast out. You can practice these things every day; hand placement, looking well ahead of were you are driving, heal and toe shifting/braking, being smooth. It is a little hard to do the racing line thing on the road because of the narrow lanes we drive in. I have a great book you can look at if you want. Really you should just buy it. "Autocrossing and Solo 1 racing" or something like that. It has a Porsche on the cover.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:21 AM
Cone Killer

Eric16v is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Get the book "Going Faster". Very good read. I am not done yet though. Also, shuffle steering. Good thing to practice.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:26 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

Tip 1) hold on.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:52 AM
///m thrizzle

ok seriously i thought that this would blow up but i guess not. WHAT IS TRAILBRAKING! hehe
Old 11-12-2002, 11:10 AM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

Get the book "Secrets of Solo Racing"
Old 11-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mr.2
Get the book "Secrets of Solo Racing"
Thats the one I was talking about. You will be told NOT to trail brake at the school. Don't worry about those things until after you have done a day at the school.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:31 PM
///m thrizzle

Originally posted by 98sr20ve
You will be told NOT to trail brake at the school. .
what if my friend wants to know how to do it what should i tell him???
Old 11-12-2002, 02:22 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by trip
what if my friend wants to know how to do it what should i tell him???
Probably, don't tell him. Interestingly enough, I think the place to learn trail braking initially is in and autocross... when it is completely natural then try it on the road course.

Basically it is braking into a turn. As you turn into a turn you have to release some of the braking otherwise the tires lock up and you go straight off the end of the turn. I guess ABS brakes have made this more common. Dick Turner dosen't call it trail braking, but that is what he is teaching in his video with his example steering wheel with the rope down to the brake pedal.

It used to be something that took lots of skill, especially when throwing a downshift into the middle of it. Not really recommend for beginners with all the other skills they are trying to put together to turn a good lap on a race track.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:14 AM

Darkhorses944 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey trip, stop by sometime we got 3 really good books on racing, mostly old stuff my dad used but still it can provide good info on techniques and such

Quick Reply: True Racing Tips!!!!!