VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   The Twisties (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/)
-   -   Track event settings. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/track-event-settings-60352/)

getfast 07-23-2004 11:09 AM

Re: Track event settings.

Must be nice to have that kind of HP. ;)

Cobra4B 07-23-2004 02:26 PM

Makes up for craptacular driving ;) Wanna get good? Drive a spec Miata.

getfast 07-24-2004 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Makes up for craptacular driving ;) Wanna get good? Drive a spec Miata.

Been there done that... was gonna be a Spec car but I couldn't stomach the $$$ it was gonna take to make the car competitive.

Tracked it a few times though... VERY fun car, excellent at making me really focus on momentum... and watching the mirrors to point faster cars by under braking, as demonstrated here, when I got oWn3d by a world challenge car:

http://www.get-fast.net/miata/rsx-miata.jpg

Hahahaha :D

Jon

Cobra4B 07-24-2004 09:19 AM

Money??? I heard that it was like 10k to get a fully prepped and ready to race spec miata.

getfast 07-24-2004 09:24 AM

Money??? I heard that it was like 10k to get a fully prepped and ready to race spec miata.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's what they want you to think :D

Front runners put that much just in their motors...

$4k custom cages etc.

WRXRacer111 07-24-2004 10:25 AM

It might be ready to race... but not ready to WIN. :)

Jon, what's a good Sunbelt motor put down vs. a Mazda crate motor these days?

roadRacer 07-24-2004 04:47 PM

The SRX7 is less expensive to race. The front runners have about $10K in the cars. A good $5500-7500 car can easily be as competitive. There are plenty of car in the meat of the pack that were build in the $3500 range.

The SRX7's a while back were pretty well known as a bunch of guys that wrecked a lot. But these days, by most accounts the SM's have sucked up the drivers that cause most of the problems, and the remaining SRX7's are a pretty good crew to race with.

Of course we have not touched entry fees, personal safety equipment, race to race maintenance.

Xav H22EG8 07-25-2004 08:43 AM

My suspension isn't adjustable so I don't know what to tell you on that. But I start off at 36 psi before my first track session in all four tires. The magic number is 40 psi hot on a street tire, slicks are all different. If the car feels sluggish and not nimble then youre tire pressure is too low, also, like w/ auto-xing, you can look at the edges of the tirest to see if they're rolling over at all. If the tire pressure is too high then the car will be prone to slide some. I just got back from Viperdays this past weekend, VIR is truly amazing.

What's a real thrill is riding in a race prepped GT1 GTS Viper... can you say not lifting at all through the whole uphill S's at 120??? Yeah Baby!

that must be on the full course right? Because just the north course (next weekend) would mean you're throwing down some SERIOUS power on that HUGE uphill. The best I got on the full course 'esses' was 105... i'm still working up a little more courage. If you early apex the first S yer toast...

Oh yeah.. on a side note, axelerate, I'd suggest running a much lower pressure on the front. You would be ungodly amazed of how much of a difference tire pressures can be on auto-x versus road courses. For me I run a 32 on the front and a 34/36 in the rear. When I come in I get 36/38 in the front and 40/42 in the rear. Pretty wild. Oh another fun thing to do is to get a infrared thermometer. It's fun to get your rotor temps when you come in from a session.

-x-

lookoutdriftmike 07-25-2004 11:16 AM

ahh there's nothing better than having a low HP "driver's car" makes you a better driver in the end.

lightningd 07-25-2004 12:43 PM

an accord road racer on my other board runs 32/32 psi for his honda challenge setup, if that's any help.