Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Track event settings.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:14 AM
<3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate
Default Track event settings.

Alright, so I'm going to VIR next weekend for my first track event and I'm not really sure how to set-up my car for the course.

Right now I run my Koni's full soft in the front with the rear's 75% stiff and rear sway bar 75% stiff also. For tire pressure (auto-x), 40 psi front and around 34 rear.

I thought I would stiffen up my front Koni's slightly just to be safe and leave the rear's the same. I really don't know what tire pressure to run, but I would think it would be close to auto-x settings?

Let me know what you think.

thanks,

brett
Old 07-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Egz
Registered Member

Egz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Track event settings.

Completely different car, but in my Focus, I ran my Konis at 3/4 front, and a smidge past 3/4 in the back. At higher speeds, too much rotation is bad. I would go more conservatively, and then adjust from there.

(Last year at VIR, for my first track event, I had my rears up too high. I pitted after 2 laps because it was too squairrly. Once I toned it down, it was great)

As for tire pressures, start a little lower. You'll be on track for 20-30 minutes at a time, and your tires will build up a little more pressure than they do at autocross. I think I was running like 36-37psi cold up front in my Azenis, and coming off of track, they were up to around 45.

Which circuit at VIR are you running?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:42 AM
Mad Scientist

WRXRacer111 is an unknown quantity at this point

what he said... I'd much rather deal with a push than a nervous snap oversteery car while doing 95mph at the top of the Crossover! A decent rule of thumb I've been told is to inflate the tires to a point halfway between street and autox pressures. If you feel any need to make changes to the car, I'd ask your instructor first and see what he/she thinks.

Joe, event is at North course with NASA... I think there's still a few spots in Group 2 available, if you wanna come out I can probably get you in on the hotel room too.

Last edited by WRXRacer111; 07-20-2004 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Egz
Registered Member

Tempting, but I still need to graduate from Group 1. I've got a lot of work ahead of me. (only 1 HPDE under my belt)

North is a nice track. Got to run that once while they were cleaning up a wreck on South. I'm not too keen on those blind apexes before Roller Coaster though.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:35 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Thanks for the info.

Egz,

Are you talking about 3/4 stiff or 3/4 of a turn?

So, I might have to turn my rears down, maybe to half stiff and then run the front's at the same? Maybe I'll start in the middle and go from there.

Problem is mine aren't externally adjustable, so I would pretty much have to take the strut off. I could do this before I go and then If I want tune it more at the event.

What do you think about the sway bar?

Last edited by Axelerate; 07-20-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Egz
Registered Member

I was refering to 3/4 stiff.

Not sure on the swaybar.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:07 AM
<3

I might just mess with the fronts then, since that's alot easier.

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

My suspension isn't adjustable so I don't know what to tell you on that. But I start off at 36 psi before my first track session in all four tires. The magic number is 40 psi hot on a street tire, slicks are all different. If the car feels sluggish and not nimble then youre tire pressure is too low, also, like w/ auto-xing, you can look at the edges of the tirest to see if they're rolling over at all. If the tire pressure is too high then the car will be prone to slide some. I just got back from Viperdays this past weekend, VIR is truly amazing.

What's a real thrill is riding in a race prepped GT1 GTS Viper... can you say not lifting at all through the whole uphill S's at 120??? Yeah Baby!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:25 AM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
What's a real thrill is riding in a race prepped GT1 GTS Viper... can you say not lifting at all through the whole uphill S's at 120??? Yeah Baby!
Those of us with low-hp cars are VERY used to not lifting up that hill

PS- 120 at the bottom of the hill or the top?

Jon
Old 07-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Honestly I think it was toward the bottom... I was just holding on for the ride. My Z06 runs up through there in the upper RPMs in 4th gear @ about 110, I do have to lift after I get over the first rise then back into it up and to the right, ease off the gas then left into the next turn.

Quick Reply: Track event settings.