VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   The Twisties (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/)
-   -   Roll Cage Questions (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/roll-cage-questions-460/)

roadRacer 02-20-2003 10:39 AM

WARNING!!!
before you install any roll bar/cage, you have to do a few things. First decide what you are going to do with your car. Is this a car you are thinking about starting to autocross and plan to migrate and later take it on to IT racing or NASA HC or whatever. Or all you will ever do with this car is local autocrosses and some club track schools at VIR or wherever.

Even in SCCA the rules for a bar/cage are different between Solo II (autocross) for stock classes, Street Prepared Classes, Prepared classes, IT road racing, AS, Production classes, and GT classes. It would be a shame to run you car for a while and then decide you want to move up to something else and find you are limited because you now have too good of a roll cage. It does happen.

Then get the rules for the general direction you think you might want to go and make sure you have a cage or a bar that is upgradable in that direction.

Autopower bars are generally made like that with SCCA racers in mind. I would suggest getting an Autopower BAR and put that in first. Live with it a while, enter some events. Then decide where you next step should be. You can then have a local fabricator make additions to the bar, or grow it into a cage for you. You will have a better idea of what you can live with and what you can't.

I will tell you that bar/cage rules for SCCA Solo II are very confusing. There are probably only a handfull of people in the country that completely understand them. I have a better grasp of them than most people in this area, but I still have to refer to all of the books to be sure.

I don't know anything about the cages or bars built by Cusco so I can't say if they are good, or legal. I would suggest comparing how they are built against the rule books. Anyone that builds rollbars will have good safe welds and things like that. Your problems are going to be fitting them into your car with street equipment and how much of a compromise with the utilitarian purposes of your car.

Trust me, living with a roll cage on a daily driver is annoying, more than you might realize. Putting a cage in most cars is one of the first steps to admitting that this is your track car and you have something else for daily transportation.

eng 02-20-2003 05:29 PM

Well I'm pretty sure that some of the mods I've already done to my car puts my car into a somewhat hard/high(?) class (LSD, coilovers, various suspension components, etc) So even what class I'd be competing in is already limited. And to be honest I'm not really concerned about how I do in the class, just being able to run is fine. I can't predict the future but I would like to do more than just the local autocrosses.

Are the rule books online somewhere I could look at? That's my biggest concern is that the cage is approved in a certain class for the local autocrosses, but when I decide to go to a track it won't be legal and I won't be able to run.

The reason I just haven't gone ahead and gotten an Autopower cage is that I've heard their fitment is less than optimal. In addition the Cusco cage is bolt-in. Which is good in the event some place complains I could just take it out. Check the link I posted, it has pictures of the cage in question.

urvtecs2slo 02-20-2003 07:06 PM

terry baker (red m3 from atlantic autowerks ltd) has a 6 point i believe and i also believe theyre allowed because he autocrosses with that car almost every event.

roadRacer 02-21-2003 12:17 PM

I hadn't looked far enough down on that page to see the pics he had of the cage.

The quality of that cage is fine. But it doesn't conform to many rules. It does not follow the Appendix C of the Solo II rules. What this means is that for autocross probably nobody will ever complain. I am assuming you are running in a closed car (with a roof as opposed to a convertible). Closed cars don't have to have a bar or cage in any Stock, SP or Prepared class. So the conventional wisdom is that any bar is better than no bar. Since you don't need to have the bar you adding one of almost any style is ok to most people.

But..... as a warning. If you get a real anal tech inspector (again where I said that there are only a handful of people in the country that fully understand the autocross roll bar/cage rules) they may not let you run with it. But you would be allowed to run with no bar/cage. I know it is stupid, but by the "letter" of the rules that is how it is.

I don't think your chances of running into such a tech inspector are very likely. So...... I'd probably go for it.

As far as track schools, again they have no requirement for closed cars either. And each sanctioning body may have a different interpretation of what is safe. I would think most of them would allow that bar/cage to run.

If I were you, I would get a hold of an SCCA rulebook about roll cages. I don't have one and I don't know if it is avaialble online (I suspect that it is not). I have an old one at home, but I am sure someone here has access to a newer one. Read the road racing cage rules as they apply to your car as an Imporved Touring and a Production Class road race car. Make sure that the Cusco cage has tubing that is at least the diamter, material, and wall thickness these classes require. If it is I'd get it.

I know that the design does not meet these rules, but it can be added on to where it does eventually come up to these specs, if it is made out of the right material. If a track school requires you to add a cross brace, you can have one added, or whatever as needed. If you find out that it is made from tubing that is not adequate, by the SCCA rules then I would stay away from it. It is not a great design from a safety point of view, and you would wind up completely replacing it if you ever decide to do anything else.

My opinion is, as deliverd, that cage is mostly for the ricer crowd to impress people on the street with the fact that they have a cage in their car. It adds very little to the car in safety.

My opinions, remember what they cost you :)

eng 02-21-2003 02:37 PM

Originally posted by roadRacer
The quality of that cage is fine. But it doesn't conform to many rules.
What rules does it not follow? Piping to small? The fact it's bolt-in? Because it's blue? ~_~

Do you know where/who I would have to contact to get a hold of the roll cage rule book? Beside the people on this forum I wouldn't know where to start.

Also those were pictures of a 6 point, they also make an 8 point that has more bars in the back. You can also get addtional bars that go from the bottom of the A-pillar around the floor to the middle of the B-pillar (basically across where you sit). There's also some others I know I'm forgetting.

I think what you're saying is that the roll cage rules are so confusing even if I got some other cage it may or may not be approved. If that's the case the fact that this is bolt-in is even more appealing ... just take out a few bolts if someone complains and voila no cage to complain about.

Originally posted by roadRacer
My opinion is, as deliverd, that cage is mostly for the ricer crowd to impress people on the street with the fact that they have a cage in their car. It adds very little to the car in safety.
Most people have said that the Cusco cage is the opposite. It provides roll over protection but little in the way of chassis stiffness. Which as I'm sure you're aware is a fringe benefit of having a cage.

It is FIA approved, so it's gotta be good for something. Too bad FIA approval means nothing in the US :(

roadRacer 02-21-2003 08:46 PM

I think you have me right in saying that roll cage riles are confusing. Also I need to say that no one roll cage rule applies across the board. A cage that is legal for SCCA Production classes may not be legal for Improved Touring, or Showroom stock, or Touring classes in road racing.

Autopower cages are desigend with SCCA classes and legality in mind. If it is SCCA legal it is always legal for NASA events for example. So the Autopower path is one you can count on being legal.

You can get the rule books from Greg Smith at an SCCA ODR autocross at Pungo. Call him before hand and ask him if somone has last years rulebooks and will let you borrow them. The cage rules haven't changed for this year.

The important thing to find out is the race weight for an improved touring car and production class car of your car..... (did that make sense) and read the appendix on roll cages and find out what size tubing is necessary (wall thickness and bar O.D.) Make sure the Cusco bar meets these. If it does then I would buy it. If it doesn't I would probably look at other options.

roadRacer 02-21-2003 08:50 PM

I should also say that I don't like the idea that the Cusco cage has no cross brace in the main hoop. It also doesn't seem to have provisions for adding one. It seems that the bar in the pictures is over the seats and there is no room in the plane of the main hoop to add a straight cross brace. This makes me uncomfortable about it. I am a seat of the pants engineer on things like this, but it does make a huge differance.

lookoutdriftmike 02-22-2003 12:36 PM

New change to the NASA rules -- DOM tubing must be used. Older cars with ERw tubing will be gradfathered in. Here's the note.
NASA Rollbar Changes
1/9/2003

Wrom: UQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZUNNYCGP KYLEJGDGVCJVTLBXF

Memorandum

No new logbooks will be issued after 4/30/03 to any race car that has a cage made from ERW tubing. Cars with cages certified before then will be grandfathered in.

Note: SCCA has a similar rule, but will not issue logbooks after 1/1/2003 for those cars with ERW tubing (according to a phone conversation with their national tech dept.).

Advisory: Use DOM tubing when constructing a cage.

eng 02-23-2003 05:03 AM

Hrm ... well I'm not really sure what kind of tubing the Cusco cage uses but it's chromoly which is stronger than DOM which is stronger than ERW (for same size tubing).

So I guess I just gotta figure out the tubing size?

roadRacer 02-23-2003 09:11 AM

FWIW, chromoly cages are strong, but they are difficult to add onto easily. Any welding that is done to the cage must be "stress relieved" after the welding is done. I always prefer to use 1018 miled steel rather than the moly tubing with my cages, but that is personal choice. The moly tubes belong on Formula cars and things like that.

Good reading in the Carroll Smith line of books about these subjects. I think Engineer to Win has the explinations of the material science of various grades of steel. Of course all of the Caroll Smiths books are required reading for anyone that is putting a race car on a track.