Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Richmond Drifters

Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SBZRO has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Richmond Drifters

I don't know if this is the right spot to post or not but I'll give it a try.

I've been a fan of drifting for a while now and finally have a car capable of it. I was just wondering if there are any local people (Richmond, VA) who drift and where they go to practice.

Everybody just says find a parking lot and go for it, but I can't really think of any big lots that don't have a crap load of poles or where cops always patrol (I live downtown too).

I know a lot of people do events, but you can't get all your practice from events, can you? Any help would be cool. If you want to meet up and show me some tips or whatever, that would be even better. Thanks,

-Kevin
Old 04-20-2007, 10:01 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia
Default Re: Richmond Drifters

Originally Posted by SBZRO

I've been a fan of drifting for a while now and finally have a car capable of it. I was just wondering if there are any local people (Richmond, VA) who drift and where they go to practice.

Everybody just says find a parking lot and go for it, but I can't really think of any big lots that don't have a crap load of poles or where cops always patrol (I live downtown too).

I know a lot of people do events, but you can't get all your practice from events, can you? Any help would be cool. If you want to meet up and show me some tips or whatever, that would be even better. Thanks,

-Kevin
Yes you can, come down to the Pungo event w/ at least 2 pairs of extra wheels/tires and you'll get some good practice (around 4-5 hours worth). You don't want to get caught drifting in a parking lot, it costs about 3 times as much as a drift event.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 AM

Thats another thing, where can I get some cheap back up wheels and tires for a RX-8?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86

drifting doesn't come cheap bratha!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 PM
S13 Lover

RoanokeS13 has disabled reputation

The best idea is to get all your practice from events. There are plenty of events now at awesome venues now like vir and summit point. Much better than a parking lot. Check out lookoutdrift.com as at least half of them are from RVA and NORVA and it's by far the best east coast drift forum.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:19 PM
YES, i am kinda mad

StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams

theres alot of drifter guys in richmond...hit up lookoutdrift.com
Old 04-20-2007, 02:13 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

-Kevin
Yes you can (and should) get all your practice from events, but that's another discussion entirely.

Both these organizations are out of Richmond:

http://www.usdrift.com

http://www.lookoutdrift.com

Next event is 4/28 down at VA Beach, followed by June 10 at ODS in Manassas and June 23-24 at Summit Point during Hyperfest.

Some drift guys (the ones who are good at least) will suggest trying some grip driving first, to learn the limits of your car before you purposely exceed them. I have done timed grip vs. drift exercises with Vaughan "JR" Gitten (D1 winner & Falken driver) and he would be the first one to agree... start with something like karting or autocross before you slide and it will do nothing but make you better.

Here's an excellent "USD/LKT approved" series for just that, with events 4/22 in Hampton, then 5/13 and 6/17 at VMP down in Dinwiddie:

http://www.get-fast.net/nasacross

Otherwise, call Brian or Mike and they will point you in the right direction:

http://www.usdrift.com/Site.aspx?Page=Contact%20Info

Hope it helps,

Jon

Last edited by getfast; 04-20-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Originally Posted by getfast
Yes you can (and should) get all your practice from events, but that's another discussion entirely.

Both these organizations are out of Richmond:

http://www.usdrift.com

http://www.lookoutdrift.com

Next event is 4/28 down at VA Beach, followed by June 10 at ODS in Manassas and June 23-24 at Summit Point during Hyperfest.

Some drift guys (the ones who are good at least) will suggest trying some grip driving first, to learn the limits of your car before you purposely exceed them. I have done timed grip vs. drift exercises with Vaughan "JR" Gitten (D1 winner & Falken driver) and he would be the first one to agree... start with something like karting or autocross before you slide and it will do nothing but make you better.

Here's an excellent "USD/LKT approved" series for just that, with events 4/22 in Hampton, then 5/13 and 6/17 at VMP down in Dinwiddie:

http://www.get-fast.net/nasacross

Otherwise, call Brian or Mike and they will point you in the right direction:

http://www.usdrift.com/Site.aspx?Page=Contact%20Info

Hope it helps,

Jon
I'm not very good, but I definitely agree, getting to know the limits of your car and what it feels like before you lose grip is a huge advantage, as is known the proper line to take (I am not the best at that).

RX8 is 5X114.3 yes? Go to the junk yard, they have cheap-o wheels there, and tires. Otherwise go on ebay, search RX8 wheels, haha. Other sources for used wheels cheap is: RBMotoring (I can't remember the web address, type that in google), PandaGarage.com, and TakumiProject.com all have "drifter" wheels sections, where they sell 2 wheels that are ugly/curbed for cheap.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:26 PM

I appreciate all the responses. I'm checking into some of the links and stuff. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

Thats another thing, where can I get some cheap back up wheels and tires for a RX-8?
Hook up with someone that works at a dealership.....lol

thanks razmus.

BTW...a ticket for drifting in a parking lot or on the streets would be reckless driving and the fines would be a lot. I rather spend the $75 bucks and drift all day long. I was dead ass tired after 2 days drifting. I have only attended 1 event and had a blast. The event at pungo will be my last until Hyperfest. Can't wait!

Last edited by RE-SPECGARAGE; 04-20-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Richmond Drifters