Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

need help organizing autox event

Old 07-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007
Default need help organizing autox event

Hello!! Like some of you know my place of residence is now Puerto Rico, and since I got here I havent raced my car in a... legal race yet . Anyways there are some forum websites here very similiar to dragva and they have a section title AutoX, Solo1, Solo2 and Time Trials. The problem is they only have Solo1 events and Time Trials. And there are only 2 road courses in PR. Which is a lot considering PR's size.
Anyways, there is a group of people that have been trying to get autox started but there are a lot saying that it looks boring. I try to explain that you CANNOT say its boring until you have been passenger or driving in a car on the track.
So, I want to get something started. Atleast just one event to see what the outcome is what what people think of it. But I need advice on things I need to know and things I need to do to get an event going. Basic stuff I might not know that is important.
See if I can get a PR region going on
thanks a million!!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada
Default Re: need help organizing autox event

all u need is like 200 cones or so and a timer.

good luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:07 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

email Greg Smith and tell him the situation. I do know you need insurance and stuff too.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:12 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as cones, well SCCA does sell them. You might be able to get some loaners from a highway traffic rental palce or some company that does road repairs. As far as timer.... for the first event use stop watches. Use two people, pratice some. Designate one as the primary timer and the other as secondary. Occasionally one will miss the start or the stop, but almost never will they both miss it.

It takes a minimum of about 30-40 cones to set up a course. If you don't have enough comes for pointers, walls, etc use white lines for the course. TSCC used to use alumimum rain gutters and flower to mark the ourside of the course.

Of course the other important thing is insurance. Most places you want to run will require some sort of insurance. Chad will probably have some idea about who to contact for that.

The events I used to go to in Alabama had entries of 15-30 cars. They had 6-8 runs and everyone had a great time. News will spread once you put the events on. Try to find a parking lot that passer-by's will see. This will attract a crowd. You will get entrants from the casual bystanders. If the lot is small set up a course where you can run several laps. Put on some event, and go upward from there. It will grow. A club of some sort will be needed to track the money. it will take some up front from you and some others to get it off the ground.

Have fun.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007

Thanks for the advice I will do a copy and paste of RoadRacers post, seems very complete.
Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:21 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leolo007
Thanks for the advice I will do a copy and paste of RoadRacers post, seems very complete.
Thanks!!
I forgot to say.. GOOD LUCK! .. I hope you are successful.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:35 PM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

hey leo its gordo, wassup with pr bro how did you get that billet? are you on reqruiting or something? sold the vdud and now im pushing a crx with b16 and typer cams. its allright thinking about a miata, s13, or just go all out with suspension on the crx for road racing and autox. good to hear youre doing alright.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:08 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Leo!