Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

NASA Comp. License

Old 11-03-2003, 04:02 PM
I Race Cars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solo2cvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NASA Comp. License

I know this is tooting my own horn, but.....................................

I passed my competition license eval!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am officially a rookie for the '04 season. This comes on the 1 year anniversary of my first track event, which also happened to be at Summit Point.

Last edited by solo2cvc; 11-04-2003 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Instructor

racerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the rough

Ahh.. so you were one of the guys getting in our way durring the instructors sessions j/k Congrats!!

Last edited by racerns; 11-04-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:07 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

congrats beno
Old 11-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Way to go. I have been tossing around the idea of building a track car as well. Perhaps the SE-R cup. If it really gets off the ground.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:03 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Woo Hoo!!!! Way to go Beno!!!!

Tell me... honestly what do you think of the NASA comp license eval weekend?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:44 AM
I Race Cars

solo2cvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by roadRacer

Tell me... honestly what do you think of the NASA comp license eval weekend?
The positives for the weekend were doing the different drills (track left, track right, side by side, and passing). I felt this gave me a better sense of what I would be doing when I actually race. The HPDE's helped me find the "best" line but these drills helped me realize how to be fast when the best line is not available.

I also enjoyed being pared up with another student. In my case it was a Type R Integra who kept having to come out of the throttle on the straights so I could keep up (I did, however, seriously surprise him as I pulled away from him in turns 5-8).

The negatives for me was the lack of classroom instruction. I guess I am programmed to get feedback and classroom instruction after my track time. I had to search people out to give me feedback.

Another negative (for lack of a better word) was the fact that I knew we were not racing. I knew exactly what my partner was doing and when he would pass. I also was able to recognize the instrutors on track who were trying to mess with us so I was not concerned. In a real racing situation, people are not going to be as polite.

Overall, I was very pleased with my evaluation process, espcially because I passed .
Old 11-08-2003, 04:51 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it is a totally different situation than an SCCA school. Not better or worse, just different. SCCA basically pairs you up with an instructor (not usually ride-along, just watches from the grandstands and critiques between sessions) and you run a "conrolled" race weekend. Pratice sessions, sort of qualifying, and then a short race. They don't do the track left/track right, stuff,etc. They put you out there basically in a racing environmet. I guess I never went through the HPDE process, I just autocrossed, went to the SCCA schools and started racing.

I also didn't have to worry about all the HPDE instructors buzzing around.