Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Looking to setup my car

Old 02-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation
Default Looking to setup my car

OK I have a 2000 civic SI I want to auto-X and daily drive. I plan on doing a little engine work not much. I am on a budget. I am wondering what class I would be in? Would it matter whats done to my car before I am put into a class? Any positive input will be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:59 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default Re: Looking to setup my car

Originally Posted by streetsk8er757
OK I have a 2000 civic SI I want to auto-X and daily drive. I plan on doing a little engine work not much. I am on a budget. I am wondering what class I would be in? Would it matter whats done to my car before I am put into a class? Any positive input will be appreciated.
basically a rough summary is if you crack open the head/block and mod it, you'll be in street mod (SM) if you just mod outside the motor, you'll be in C Street Prepared (CSP, i think that's right for the Si). of course, there are rules and a rule book. there is a page with them, but i'm too tired to look it up. search for SCCA Solo 2 rules or something
Old 02-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

what if I swap the motor?
Old 02-11-2006, 03:19 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Originally Posted by streetsk8er757
what if I swap the motor?

Steet Mod for a swap.

But, the question is are you building the car for a class or to have fun. If its for a class and to be competitive change cars. Most Civic platforms are not the best starting point for their respectied class. OR, if its to have fun do what ever you want and run in the class they place you in.

Last edited by vbspec; 02-11-2006 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

I want to be competitive but mainly to have fun
Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

In what way do you want to be competative? Locally there is a multipul (called a PAX) that is associated with each class that you multiply by your raw time to see how you fair against all the other competitors. Nationaly you run only against people in your class. But the best advice is just to go out and do it. You learning the car and how it reacts to your inputs will make you faster than if you built a National level car but had never Autox's before.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Locally, I am probably(sp) going to stick with the stock motor and do some work to it nothing outrageous. I mainly want to do this to have fun and not get a ticket. I am just gonna have to get my car on the road and start getting to events. Thanks for the input. Anyone else?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:04 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

best thing to do is just start coming to events. run some to get a feel for it. and then talk to people about stuff, and then start figuring out what you wanna do.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:55 AM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Exactly. Don't spend a dime on the car until you've got a few events under your belt and have talked to other participants with similar cars/goals.

Jon
Old 02-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Slky

slky has disabled reputation

Hell, I've got one of the highest modified cars out there, and run SMN (N=novice). I've got the equipment, but I "get lost" (get off course) just about everytime. Lousy times, but great fun. Just do it. (Nike paid me for that last comment.) Oh, by the way, we will be at Pungo this Sat. to set up the course for a Sunday event. Come out and get some info. The registration starts around 8:30 Sunday. You have to go through tech (they will loan you a helmet), drivers meeting 9:30, and first heat off around 10:00. You will be assigned to drive in one heat, and assist in another. You will get 4-5 runs. It will take about all day. Worth the time.