Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Kumho race rubber

Old 04-07-2004, 06:29 PM
brake/steer/throttle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek
Default Kumho race rubber

i dunno if any of you guys use these tires, but i figured some of you could use this info. i got it from another messageboard. sorry if it's old news.

http://www.kumhousa.com/V710.asp

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR ECSTA V710 TIRES

KUMHO Tire's priority is safety, and we are committed to supplying our customers with the highest quality and best performing tires that are available anywhere in the world. It is with this philosophy in mind that KUMHO is taking immediate action in discontinuing the sale of the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire.

The V710 has won several races and set numerous track records since it was introduced into the market on January 1, 2004. Although we have not experienced any air loss failures with the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire, we have discovered some inconsistent test results relating to tread splice and tread area durability.

The sale of the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire will, therefore, be discontinued immediately, and tires in use in the market will be collected from consumers. KUMHO will replace them with either the KUMHO ECSTA V700 or Victoracer tire free of charge.

An investigation into the cause of the inconsistencies has been carried out and modifications to the product and production methods have been made to ensure these inconsistencies do not re-occur.

Consumers who have purchased the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire must call the dealer where the tires were purchased or the following toll free number to arrange for tire return and replacement :

1-800-445-8646 Extension 342

Consumers will be given the choice of a free replacement of the ECSTA V710 with either the ECSTA V700 or Victoracer. They will also be provided a free set of the modified ECSTA V710 upon its arrival.

KUMHO is sincerely committed to the quality of our products and the total satisfaction of our customers. We regret any inconvenience to our customers.

Update from the Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/kumho/kumho_710.html
April 5, 2004
Kumho Tire U.S.A. notified us today they have chosen to voluntarily recall all ECSTA V710 tires. If you still have ECSTA V710 tires (new, used or even worn out), Kumho has authorized us to exchange them on a one-for-one basis with an enhanced version of the ECSTA V710 when it becomes available in approximately 60-90 days. In order to compensate you for any inconvenience, as well as mounting and balancing costs, Kumho has further authorized us to provide either ECSTA V700 or VictoRacer V700 tires, again on a one-for-one basis, at no final cost to you. Since ECSTA V700 and VictoRacer V700 tires require tread shaving for use in dry conditions, shaving will be available at no charge. Heat Cycling will also be included at no charge if your ECSTA V710 tires were heat cycled by the Tire Rack originally. The Tire Rack Team wants to help you replace your voluntarily recalled tires as quickly and conveniently as possible. If you still have new, used or worn out ECSTA V710 tires: Contact the Tire Rack representative indicated on your original invoice, or call (800) 428-8355 and asking for the first available sales representative. Provide the phone number where your credit card bills are received, the invoice number of your ECSTA 710 purchase and/or your name. Identify the quantity of new, used or worn out ECSTA V710 tires you will be exchanging. The Tire Rack representative will establish a no-charge backorder at The Tire Rack for the enhanced ECSTA V710 tires when they become available, as well as place an order for your ECSTA V700 or VictoRacer V700 tires. We will charge your credit card when we ship your ECSTA V700 or VictoRacer V700 tires. Contact a Tire Rack representative when your ECSTA V710 tires are dismounted and ready to be picked up by the UPS representative and we will issue the required number of prepaid UPS Pick-up Labels for you to return your ECSTA V710 tires. Upon the return of your ECSTA V710 tires, we will credit the full value of ECSTA V700 or VictoRacer V700 tires to the credit card used to purchase them. The Tire Rack apologizes for any inconvenience this causes.

Last edited by ToyotaTechGeek; 04-08-2004 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Autocross Hack

Ed94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Kumho race rubber

The SCCA has retracted the eligibility of the Kumho V710 from any National, Regional,and Divisional competition. This includes club,pro,and all solo programs. I assume that they will not be eligible for Solo Nationals this year (among other programs).

I wonder how the local non-scca safety stewards are gonna approach this. I'm also gonna assume that they will be banned from our local competition.

Suck's for those that were really beginning to dig the tire, and also those whom it was the only tire that really fit the wheel without sacrfice.

If you have a good set of Hoosier A03's (as opposed to the new 04's), they are now worth their weight in gold, as it has become what possibly will be a spec Hoosier year.

Ed
Old 04-07-2004, 07:19 PM
"Without Limit"

00lude is an unknown quantity at this point

How might this effect the new 710 upon their release in 60 to 90 days? Will they be permited once the problem is corrected? Does this mean I can't run my 710s at the TSCC event on the 18th?

Switching back and forth tires is going to be a pain in my ass.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Autocross Hack

Ed94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these parts

I am by far not an expert on this, but I believe that the SCCA needs to re-review the "new" 710 before making it eligible. Also, in order for a tire to make the inclusion list, it has to be released by a certain time and with a certain amount of available sizes. What I don't know is if the 710 will be grandfathered-in because they had previously met the deadline, or will the new 710 be considered a "new" tire.

You will not be allowed to run the tire @ ODR SCCA events for sure. The other clubs, I don't know.

MaxQ, are you out there? I'm sure he knows the "real deal".

Ed -Hopefully not spreading mis-information-
Old 04-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Registered Loser

maxQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 00lude
How might this effect the new 710 upon their release in 60 to 90 days? Will they be permited once the problem is corrected? Does this mean I can't run my 710s at the TSCC event on the 18th?

If I were you, I wouldn't count on getting the "new" V710 until next year. Kumho has a internet history of promising more than they can deliver.

In fact, I would hurry up and get your free set soon before the Victo or Ecsta go on national backorder.

As for running the V710 at TSCC, that's up to Chad. But if Greg Smith has anything to say about it, you won't.

Andy - who has run on nearly equal numbers of Kumhos and Hoosiers in his R-tire career
Old 04-08-2004, 06:05 AM
"Without Limit"

00lude is an unknown quantity at this point

My replacement Victos will be here later next week because they are being shaved and shipped from Texas. According to my rep at Tire Rack, I'm looking at about 6 weeks at this point for replacement of the 710s. Don't know how true that is but it would be nice.

I've read the SCCA statement and it looks as though they have suspended their use in effort to help Kumho speed up the collection process. Not to mention the safety reasons. Hopefully this will mean that the new 710s will have the suspension lifted quickly. Not sure but I hope. I will say that they took quick action to suspend them.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:48 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

from what i've been reading. i think the 710 are starting to shred when they get really hot, like at the honda challenge. i haven't heard one story of an autoxer shreding them yet, unless someone else has. I think running them at the TSCC event would be fine, but you never know.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:23 AM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

I honestly agree you you about it.... But from a liability point of view..... If TSCC were to let you run them (knowing that they have been officially recalled for being defective on a safety issue) and anything happened, a lawyer could rip that decision to threads in court. It would be insurance companys against each other, not necessarily you... I can't see it happening.

FWIW, I have heard of the FEW failures of the V710's to be in road racing situations. None of the failures involved loss of air. It was simply tread delamination (blistering sort of like). I have to commend Kumho for taking this so seriously and making large steps to correct. I only wish I had been quicker in buying some so that I could also have 2 sets of tires. But.....
Old 04-09-2004, 08:30 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

Yes, my friend was one of the runners of the Washington State Autox club up there (he was also web master). The other 2 guys who run the events decided to allow those tires at events, so he stepped down. If the tires blow after a recall like that, anyone directly in charge of an event can be found liable for the damages caused by allowing a recalled tire to still be run. Its very smart to get rid of that tire and now allow it as an event runner... i'd ban it.

Last edited by Crate; 04-09-2004 at 08:34 AM.