VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   The Twisties (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/)
-   -   Jan 18 autocross at VMP! (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/jan-18-autocross-vmp-270689/)

s142jzkillav10 03-04-2009 03:43 PM

Re: Jan 18 autocross at VMP!

Ok sorry Let me refraze my statement Most Not all european vehicles need a special tool, or you have to take the whole front end apart just to do a stupid timeing belt ( VW)
And even though the family vehicels are FWD you still have enough room to do wp,ps,timeing belt. and Alot Cheaper to Maintain.

Parts are more accesible( You don't have to resort to the dealer), and Alot less expensive.

Yes I do agree that the old model BMW do not require special tools but try doing a head job on the new ones..........PITA

getfast 03-04-2009 07:23 PM

I sold wholesale/retail import parts for 3+ years and I would say that Japanese car parts were in general no cheaper - and in many cases more expensive - than equivalent European car parts. Of course I am speaking of... like... ~1990 to ~2002 models specifically. The newer stuff may be different, I dunno.

Niburu 03-05-2009 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by s142jzkillav10 (Post 5049183)
Ok sorry Let me refraze my statement Most Not all european vehicles need a special tool, or you have to take the whole front end apart just to do a stupid timeing belt ( VW)

That's VW for you, they've gone to complete shit in the last 10 years, and well Audi is just an upscale division of VW now

And even though the family vehicels are FWD you still have enough room to do wp,ps,timeing belt. and Alot Cheaper to Maintain.

6.5 qts of mobile one is expensive for oil changes on a E46 3series is expensive I'll agree, and now having 2 of them currently has put a dent in my pocket
but I should only have to change the 2 or 3 times a year per car
Being most familiar with Mazdas I can tell you they are hardly any cheaper than BMW
Really if you want cheap and reliable get a Chevy Cobalt, not the prettiest car or the nicest interior but pretty much as good as anything the Japanese are sending us (in the same market segment) these days.

What I'm looking forward to this summer is the introduction of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, for several reasons;
a. to see it's effect on the market and hopefully spur some production in that market segment
b. I suspect the car is of much better quality than most people expect - go check out their current V8 sedan if you get the chance
c. the aftermarket for this car is already developed, I wanna see how far the chassis can be pushed and how well it actually handles

Parts are more accesible( You don't have to resort to the dealer), and Alot less expensive.

You can get non dealer parts for most BMW's, but yes the dealership will rape you on any BMW only parts or service, but this tue of any car company.

Yes I do agree that the old model BMW do not require special tools but try doing a head job on the new ones..........PITA

I wouldn't wanna touch the latest BMW either, now the E36's and older are very nicely laid out to be worked on at home.

Funny how the thread went off topic, but I like the current discussion much more.

Hey Jon, the Miata is getting some upgrades - the 949 Racing chassis braces are on, the Corksport strut tower brace just arrived, and next on the list will be some new springs and shox, plus a dedicated set of race tires and wheels.
Hopefully that'll keep the car from nose diving and spinning out like last season - when I got the car last year everything was original to the car except general maintenance items.

getfast 03-05-2009 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Niburu (Post 5050645)

What I'm looking forward to this summer is the introduction of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe

There was one on display at the Washington DC Auto Show the other week. Not a bad looking car. Reports indicate that it is heavier and slower than expected though. :(

Originally Posted by Niburu (Post 5050645)
Hey Jon, the Miata is getting some upgrades

Sweet! You should put Spec Miata suspension/wheels/tires on it. You know, just in case. :D

Niburu 03-05-2009 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by getfast (Post 5050809)
There was one on display at the Washington DC Auto Show the other week. Not a bad looking car. Reports indicate that it is heavier and slower than expected though. :(

that's why I wanna see what we actually get, plus it depends on the package you get.
The stripped down R-Spec package looked like a good starting point to build something.
I just want it to spark some interest and competiton in the small FR coupe market which we haven't had in a decade.

Originally Posted by getfast (Post 5050809)
Sweet! You should put Spec Miata suspension/wheels/tires on it. You know, just in case. :D

you never know..... I do have Goodwin Racing's site (among many others) pegged in my favorites
although the rollbar/rollcage is gonna have to wait a year
I do intend to TT and HPDE it next year at VIR

s142jzkillav10 03-05-2009 08:04 PM

if you wanna testdive a genesis I believe that they are in the showroom floors now. Or atleast that's what Mitch told me.

Niburu 03-06-2009 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by s142jzkillav10 (Post 5053596)
if you wanna testdive a genesis I believe that they are in the showroom floors now. Or atleast that's what Mitch told me.

from what I understand it's the premium V6 autotragics
I'll probably go to just to check it out anyway

this gave me some hope for the car
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

particularly

WAGGING TAILS AND SMOKING TIRES

Drift on Sunday, sell on Monday. That'll be Hyundai's motto as it enters the 2009 Formula Drift Professional Drifting Championship with multiple champion Rhys Millen. To achieve the target curb weight of 2400 pounds, Millen and his team gave the Genesis Coupe drift car an alkali bath to remove all rubber and adhesives from the chassis and then replaced every metal body panel with ones made from carbon fiber. The chassis is stitch-welded for extra strength, a necessary step given the stiffness levels of the KW three-way adjustable coil-over suspension. A stroked 4.1-liter Lambda V-6 that makes 550 horsepower and 520 pound-feet provides the rubber-melting power; and there's plenty of it to instantly fry a pair of Toyo Proxes R1R tires. Look for Millen and his Red Bull Genesis in the drift championship as well as in the Pikes Peak hillclimb and select Redline Time Attack events.
looks to me there is untapped power in that V6
and well you can certainly turn up the boost on 4 cylinder
Mitsubishi sourced the the block from Hyundai for the EVO X so it can definitely take some more boost

zeenon53 03-06-2009 05:54 AM

Just test drove a genesis coupe yesterday. It was the V6 base model with the padle shifters. I was very impressed with the car overall. It was well powered and had a great exhaust note stock. It was at the hyundai dealership off of lynhaven in VA.

This thread going to die in peace?

s142jzkillav10 03-06-2009 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by zeenon53 (Post 5054313)

This thread going to die in peace?

Hell NO I still hate RICERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

and if your not a Ricer then you shouldn't be offended. Ricer........:D