Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

insurace and racing at VIR

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Dragva nukkas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud of
Default insurace and racing at VIR

I'm going to start running my car at VIR with a couple people I know on here and my question is does insurance cover if I get in an accident, or if anything happens to your car at the track? Does it just depend on which insurance company you have or what? I just don't want to fuck my car up on the track and then be screwed out of a car. I have allstate btw
Old 02-02-2008, 01:08 PM
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: insurace and racing at VIR

I too would like to know. Although I'm pretty sure I know the answer.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:14 PM

drivesideways46 has disabled reputation

Well, the general saying is don't track anything you wouldn't push off of a cliff.

With that being said, if you're going to run with a group like NASA for HPDE you will be put in group 1 your first time out and there is little to no danger of an accident there.

I think most larger groups carry insurance policies for their events in the event of injury and property damage. I wouldn't count on Allstate being there for you, as most auto insurance companies are shying away from covering accidents that happen at track days. My policy used to cover accidents that happened at "non-timed events" but now excludes any accident that should happen "on a racing surface".

Just to be sure you've CYA, you should probably fire off an email to the event organizer of whatever group you are running with to see what their insurance covers and also ask to speak to the underwriter of your auto insurance policy to make sure what your coverage includes.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:17 PM
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough

Good advice. My policy says none timed events are cool. But Drag Racing and Autocross are timed, so I guess I'm screwed there. Oh well, you only live once...
Old 02-02-2008, 01:25 PM

drivesideways46 has disabled reputation

I should probably add that I've always tracked something that I'm making payments on.

I know most people think that's a terrible idea, but it keeps me from driving over my abilities and always reminds me at events that, "You DO have to drive this car back home!"

I've pissed off an instructor or two when I won't go too far past 7/10ths, but I don't have a dedicated (paid off!) track car yet and refuse to ball up my Mustang at someone else's whim.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

As far as I know insurance policies do not cover anything that occurs inside a venue where racing could or does occur, whether it is practice, qualifying, or the actual event. I am not a liscensed insurance agent, so call your agent up or look at your policy to find out if you're covered.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
PandaMania

BigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Scarlet Letter
As far as I know insurance policies do not cover anything that occurs inside a venue where racing could or does occur, whether it is practice, qualifying, or the actual event. I am not a liscensed insurance agent, so call your agent up or look at your policy to find out if you're covered.
i asked my dad who is a liscened insurance agent with about 12 different companies and he says that what you put it 100% correct. It is not covered at the track. They also pay people if you know anyone that runs their car at a track, wrecks it, and then tries to report it as a accident some where else. Called insurance fraud.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:04 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

There was a time when a HPDE was covered by insurance. It was only a year or two ago.

Now none of them will cover you. There was supposed to be a company that only did "race car" insurance while you are at the track, but it hasn't happened yet.

Your on your own, but keep in mind that it's way more dangerous to drive to VIR than at it.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Show-lo car

nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2

Originally Posted by Axelerate
There was a time when a HPDE was covered by insurance. It was only a year or two ago.

Now none of them will cover you. There was supposed to be a company that only did "race car" insurance while you are at the track, but it hasn't happened yet.

Your on your own, but keep in mind that it's way more dangerous to drive to VIR than at it.
i dont have allstate. but i TOTALLED my car there at VIR. and my ins. company covered for the loss. bought back the car and currently rebuilding.
There was hoopla actually right here on VAD about it being covered or not. Some (ex)ins. guru know it all or w/e was all .. they are NOT going to cover it or they wouldnt do that... :shrug: i have my car still and the 1000's they gave me to replace it. -had to buy the car back of course.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

^^^ I remember reading about that you have a 300ZX with MR2 tail lights? I think from everything I have heard the times they are a-changin. If an insurance company covers cars now they probably wont in a year or two.

Quick Reply: insurace and racing at VIR