Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

How much camber??

Old 12-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec
Default How much camber??

Hey guys, I think I have seen most of the guys who post here at the local autoX's. I have a red SpecV and my Pops has a black CRX. I have posted on some of the Sentra forms and those guys can lick my sack, bunch of BS computer geeks who think they race. Any way knowing that everyone who posts here races I thought I would ask. First of all here is what I think my problem is, I dont feel like the car rotates fast enough it is not quick turning in and wheel hops exiting under power. My ride is bone stock for now. but GC is on the Xmas list I also will be getting Koni bump stops (which will be cut down) and Motivational read suspension mounts (I thank Bret for that). I also know the stock tires on thr SpecV suck!! And I will be replacing them soon after the first of the year. But as for now, I was thinking after the GC and other goodies go on takeing it to Berts for an allignment, and changing the toe to 0 and adding as much camber as posable which isnt much. I think this should help. If it makes scence, or not please post.

Thanx
Mike
Old 12-01-2002, 08:51 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

How much do you care about your tires is a better question
Old 12-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

I dont !!!!!!
a second set of rims and tires are coming late summer
Old 12-01-2002, 09:02 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

and stock replacement in a month or 2
Old 12-01-2002, 09:21 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

from what i've heard, tire wear isn't really affected by camber if you race, because

1) negative camber creates excessive wear on the inside of the tire during street driving. not a lot, but more than normal
2) when racing, Extreme wear is caused on the outside of the tire.

Effect. They balance out. as for alignment, one of us can show you how to do it yourself (toe only). Steve (98sr20ve) has toe plates, and i do it another way, which is pretty much accurate, although he doesn't think so. either way, don't waste the money on repeated alignments. once every now and then is ok though.

FYI: my camber is like -2.5 to -3.0 or something
Old 12-02-2002, 03:48 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Hey, it's Brett here. I have seen you on B15sentra but, I wasn't sure if the "vb" in your name stood for Virginia Beach. Well, anyway welcome to the board!

Ok, now on the camber. I also got my alignment at Bert's for $50 and he told me I had around 1 and a half degree's of negative camber up front with my car lowered were it is. There are no camber plates on sale for our cars yet but, I have seen a set on the Speed Channel Sentra so some should be available one day.

Now, if you want more camber, say around 2-3 degrees negative you can slot the struts which involves taking a dremmel to the mounting points of the front stuts in order to get some more camber. I plan to be doing this soon when I get my KYB AGX's and when I install them I want to slot them to around 3 degrees. Yes, I do need 3 degrees because I am still wearing out the outside edge of my new tires pretty bad even with 52 psi, so I feel that 3 degrees will save my tires in the long run. You really should talk to Steve (98sr20ve) about this because he is going to be the person doing mine and he is the Sentra guru around here.

He will both be at the Corvette autocross this weekend so feel free to ask. Oh, I'll give you a ride along also so you can see what your GC's will do! What rates are you going to get?

Watch out for the Spec V hater's on this board! Not, on the autocross forum though, they all know better. Just every where else. I think there is one other Spec V and then there is SERious with a SE-R.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:53 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Oh, the turning in problem and wheel hop will defeinetly be elimated with a new set of tires, they will make it like a new car.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:13 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, welcome to the forum. If you are looking for advice I would see about building your car to a certian class. There are minor mods allowed in the stock class (exhaust, struts, TIRES) and I would start there. Struts and Tires are two big things to have on a autocross car. Personally I would do these before you do the GC. Especially on a Spec V which I hear has 300/300 lbs springs to start with. I am sure your car has almost zero camber up front. In the stock class you could (legally) get about 1.25 or so. OR in SP you could go to about 3 degrees by slutting the strut (basically you elongate one of the holes on the bottom of your strut). With a Spec V I would go for about 3 degrees camber just because you have a awsome LSD and traction is not a huge issue coming out of corners like others. You can take you car to berts for 50 or buy some plates ($55) and do it yourself (for the rest of your life) or for even less you can do what dave did (I do not like that method BUT I know you can do it properly that way). All these changes well help your car rotate especially the camber and toe. I can help with alignments the first time if you like. My first purchase for my car would be a secound set of wheels and some Ecsta's or Azenia's.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:08 AM
Cone Killer

Eric16v is an unknown quantity at this point

Kumhos like alot of camber, well any r-compound tire does really.