Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

getting a car for AutoX but which one??

Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 PM
at the track today?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast
Default Re: getting a car for AutoX but which one??

Originally Posted by leolo007

The SRT-4 I saw competing in autox when they first came out and everyone there was impressed but maybe it was a good driver.
If you go that way, try to find one with a limited slip diff. I believe the first year came with an open diff, which is not good for autocross.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by bumada

No matter what you pick to drive, it will be fun to autocross. You really cant go wrong.
+1 to this, just get what you like and play with it as much as you can.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007

I do also believe you can autocross anything but I want something I can be competitive in. In another forum they recommended a Mazda 3... never really thought of that but I guess I can consider that too.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
at the track today?

Locally, regionally, or nationally competitive? Those are three very different things. Also, there is a whole lot more to having a competitive autocross car than just buying something and/or bolting some parts on. Most of it is about the driver.

I'd recommend going to some events, checking some event results in your area, and asking some fast drivers what they think...
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

zeenon53 has disabled reputation

I do also believe you can autocross anything but I want something I can be competitive in. In another forum they recommended a Mazda 3... never really thought of that but I guess I can consider that too.
I think they meant miata.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered member

DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus

Originally Posted by zeenon53
I think they meant miata.
maybe, but a mazda 3 or a focus would be as good or better.
Any fwd manual car on good tires is more than enough to have fun/do well in autocross.

the mazda 3 and some focuses have the 2.3l duratec motor which makes enough torque low to be fun but not roast thru tires.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007

Originally Posted by getfast
Locally, regionally, or nationally competitive? Those are three very different things. Also, there is a whole lot more to having a competitive autocross car than just buying something and/or bolting some parts on. Most of it is about the driver.

I'd recommend going to some events, checking some event results in your area, and asking some fast drivers what they think...
Locally, this is a "just for fun" type deal but I want to be good at it. I know I have the skills as I was reasonably good with my civic although I was competing in SM due to the engine swap yet I was running on street tires, where that class allowed much higher performance tires.

I understand that seat time is more important than anything but I dont want to go and race a buick roadmaster... if you know what I mean.

I am looking forward to attending an event in the Phillie area this weekend
Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
at the track today?

Originally Posted by DisturbedFocus
maybe, but a mazda 3 or a focus would be as good or better.
LOL, did you seriously just imply that a nose-heavy understeering open-diff FWD econo-sh!tbox is a better autocross car than one of the best-handling and most nimble RWD sports cars ever built?

Any fwd manual car on good tires is more than enough to have fun/do well in autocross.
Yes, with the right driver... and if you can get rid of the horrible, terminal, front-tire-killing understeer. Oh, and the aforementioned open diff too.

the mazda 3 and some focuses have the 2.3l duratec motor which makes enough torque low to be fun but not roast thru tires.
Aaaaaand the "motor" is about 10% of the equation when it comes to a fast autocross lap time (add to that... 40% chassis/handling/braking, and 50% driver.)

Just my opinions of course. I have been to a few autocrosses in my time.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
at the track today?

I understand that seat time is more important than anything but I dont want to go and race a buick roadmaster... if you know what I mean.
Miata, seat time, Konis, seat time, front swaybar, seat time, Hoosiers, seat time. Done.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 AM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada

I've driven a SVT focus at an autocross before and it was not a very delightful experience. It didnt have very good tires but that wasnt its only problem. They feel really top heavy through corners and it plows really bad. I seriously thought i was going to flip it through a slalom.

Quick Reply: getting a car for AutoX but which one??